5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla S-type exhaust

Cannonball

Reaction score
My effort to put sound into words, emotions, and life:

Touring: buttery smooth and clean baritone note. No rasp or growl. Hits you in the gut start up with sophisticated sleeper idle and left to be desired take off. This is what I probably SHOULD get.

S Type: deeper note than touring. Definite growl. Slight rasp. Oh **** yea start up with you know you want me idle and a take off that makes you question if you ever left adolescence but is refined enough (with a slightly softer foot) that would let you get away with it at your definitly NOT adolescent age this time around. Unquestionably Borla. This is what I'll probably go with

Atak: same note as S. Dominate angry growl. I want to be a 1000hp drag fuel racer rasp. Come at me bro start up. Idle that's way too badass to drive your family around in unless they enjoy migraines and pissing off everyone in the publix parking lot. Take off that everyone wishes they had but real life has 100 reasons after high school why they shouldn't. This is my hands down favorite of course.

So who is running this order? Let's get some movement and someone start a poll for what type we're going with.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From discussions- Borla group buy won’t happen else you get all the money in one bank account that exceeds a 10,000 purchase. You also then pay shipping per kit via borla. You can choose any kit. It’s roughly 14 people, but as stated, one person needs to handle 14 orders and over 10,000 dollars. I’m not sure who would want that responsibility or who everyone would trust with that responsibility.

John813

Reaction score
@Cannonball dead giveaway you live in Florida for mentioning Publix lol.

I'm stuck between the Touring and S for Borla and then Magnaflow unless they are already back-ordered till 2020.

Cannonball

Reaction score

I'm stuck between the Touring and S for Borla and then Magnaflow unless they are already back-ordered till 2020.
Sunshine State all the way!

Does anyone have a contact at Borla? I have an idea that might make this group buy work.

cjgerson

Reaction score

On my 2013 RAM I had an 18 inch Magnaflow muffler (not CAT Back). Once I get my S-Type installed next week I can give my perspective..

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My effort to put sound into words, emotions, and life:

Touring: buttery smooth and clean baritone note. No rasp or growl. Hits you in the gut start up with sophisticated sleeper idle and left to be desired take off. This is what I probably SHOULD get.

S Type: deeper note than touring. Definite growl. Slight rasp. Oh **** yea start up with you know you want me idle and a take off that makes you question if you ever left adolescence but is refined enough (with a slightly softer foot) that would let you get away with it at your definitly NOT adolescent age this time around. Unquestionably Borla. This is what I'll probably go with

Atak: same note as S. Dominate angry growl. I want to be a 1000hp drag fuel racer rasp. Come at me bro start up. Idle that's way too badass to drive your family around in unless they enjoy migraines and pissing off everyone in the publix parking lot. Take off that everyone wishes they had but real life has 100 reasons after high school why they shouldn't. This is my hands down favorite of course.

So who is running this order? Let's get some movement and someone start a poll for what type we're going with.

This is highly accurate IMHO. They do call their Touring system their "sleeper" system.
The one to get if you have neighbors!
I think the WOT is much more rewarding than stock, at least that's the impression I get.
It seems more "livable", but thanks to some gentlemen here we will get more opinions.

I get the feeling that while the S-type is their bread and butter, a group buy might end up with more interest at the "Touring" level.

From discussions- Borla group buy won’t happen else you get all the money in one bank account that exceeds a 10,000 purchase. You also then pay shipping per kit via borla. You can choose any kit. It’s roughly 14 people, but as stated, one person needs to handle 14 orders and over 10,000 dollars. I’m not sure who would want that responsibility or who everyone would trust with that responsibility.

I think this is the bottle neck.
This is not an old web board, we haven't known eachother long, we have no history/reputation to lean on between the ~20 of us!
We were strangers until what, 3 posts ago?
IF Borla handled the money I think this gets easier.

On my 2013 RAM I had an 18 inch Magnaflow muffler (not CAT Back). Once I get my S-Type installed next week I can give my perspective..

Very much looking forward to hearing your opinion!

dmodem

Reaction score
Comparison video is out!

It looks like the Touring may be the best option for me. Now, what happened to that group buy guy, who contacted the Borla rep for 36% off?

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like the Touring may be the best option for me. Now, what happened to that group buy guy, who contacted the Borla rep for 36% off?
Borla will only accept one single payment which has to be above 10,000 after discounts in order to process. They will not accept 14 individual payments.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I think if Borla would make an account for us and hold a balance then that could work. Question would be if Borla is up for that or they may have done that in the past? I personally would go for the Touring. I have small kids dam..t!

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think if Borla would make an account for us and hold a balance then that could work. Question would be if Borla is up for that or they may have done that in the past? I personally would go for the Touring. I have small kids dam..t!
From multiple contacts at Borla- they require payment via a debit number and will not hold an account for people to deposit purchases into.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From multiple contacts at Borla- they require payment via a debit number and will not hold an account for people to deposit purchases into.

mm.

Well thank you very much for reaching out to them to confirm that, and again a thank you to OP to getting the ball rolling.

Hmm.. Wait a second...
Just a hypothetical, can't volunteer someone for something if they ain't interested and all!

What's the one link we all have to this site?
This site.
Would the Admin(s) here be willing, to handle the money?
What if we sent it to, say, a 5thgenrams paypal account, run by the Admin(s) here.
And they sent it to Borla.

What's in it for the admins here:
- Site reputation further boosted
- A working relationship with a supplier
IIRC they advertise here right? Nothing says "hey this is worthwhile!" like a $10,000 group buy!
- Which could tempt other suppliers and aftermarket companies, "hey lets hop on over to 5GR, Great board with good customers, guys who even put up with Beta testing a $60,000 truck - admins there are legit, very organized group buys", which tempts more companies to advertise
- Very happy, loyal forumites.

JAK

Reaction score
I really wish they did these comparison videos with a db meter inside the cab. It would make it just so much easier to make a decision.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. Didn’t Carven use one when they were promoting their one system ? :)

JAK

Reaction score
I'm not too sure. I need to go back to the carven thread to dig it up if it does. I want a more aggressive exhaust tone especially during WOT yet tame during normal day to day driving. I'm hearing too many different opinions from different users on the same systems. A more scientific approach with hard numbers (db in this example) would be so useful. Makes you wonder why the manufacturers don't do that.. unless they're afraid that it'll turn away customers.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m feeling that’s exactly why they do not do it. Also as stated videos do not tell the whole story as I for one can attest to.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not too sure. I need to go back to the carven thread to dig it up if it does. I want a more aggressive exhaust tone especially during WOT yet tame during normal day to day driving. I'm hearing too many different opinions from different users on the same systems.

Hmm. You used the word "Tame" vs say, "liveable" or "not that bad."
An ATAK system is the kind that reminds you at all times you have it on there.
The S-type is "liveable"
Touring is their tame one.

I'm of the understanding that the Touring is louder than stock without being obnoxious, and will wake up when you get on it. I think you and I are in the same boat with what we want.
I loved my XR1 muffler, but I'm thinking hard about my needs over the next decade or so, I plan on keeping the truck a long time. Touring is that step down in noise but still an upgrade from stock, I think it's what I'm looking for, might be for you too.

Users who are viewing this thread