5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla S-type exhaust

Michael_D

Reaction score
I am interested in this. I had the GM/Borla Touring on my 2015 with the 6.2 ltr and cylinder deactivation. Not sure how Borla did it, but when in V4 mode, the exhaust note sounded normal. I hope they can pull that off with this system on the Ram. The S-type is too loud for me though. I'd prefer the Touring.

DMC

Reaction score
I am interested in this. I had the GM/Borla Touring on my 2015 with the 6.2 ltr and cylinder deactivation. Not sure how Borla did it, but when in V4 mode, the exhaust note sounded normal. I hope they can pull that off with this system on the Ram. The S-type is too loud for me though. I'd prefer the Touring.
I'm new to Ram but has cylinder deactivation not been on the gen 4 trucks? Was there an issue with borla and those trucks?

John

Reaction score
I was just looking at Hottexhaust.com at they are having a 25% off November sale on the Magnaflow #19429. A complete cat back stainless system (black or polished tip for about $620. regular $828. free shipping!! Any of you have experience with Magnaflow??

John

mk12booze

Reaction score
I was just looking at Hottexhaust.com at they are having a 25% off November sale on the Magnaflow #19429. A complete cat back stainless system (black or polished tip for about $620. regular $828. free shipping!! Any of you have experience with Magnaflow??

John
How do you get the 25% off?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Interesting, I've heard neither in person which is why I'm bouncing back and forth between the two!
I'm interested to learn more about the touring setup.

My only experience is with an XR1 muffler on an otherwise stock muffler setup.
It can be a whole lot of fun, I wouldn't be opposed to doing it again - but I do want to think it through, I'm not opposed to a touch less.
The thought has crossed my mind that I might, one day down the road, have to fire up the truck outside a house and not wake my lady and a sleeping baby inside.
10 degree cold winter night + a cold start of the hemi? = a kool aid man deafshout tier "OHHH YEAHHHHH" From the pipes in the back.

From what I've read, the Touring is a touch louder than stock, but wakes up when you give it a bunch of the gas pedal?
I'll be honest I'm leaning a bit toward the Touring system.

I'm new to Ram but has cylinder deactivation not been on the gen 4 trucks? Was there an issue with borla and those trucks?

Here's what's going on.
When the MDS kicks in and it goes from 8 cylinders to 4, the exhaust note changes and some drone can kick in.
It can become detectable with louder exhausts. That's why the stock unit is f**king huge. It's like 30inches long and weighs 30lbs.

I'll clarify on my post about my borla XR1 setup that I like. Note I have a muffler only, on a stock system. Not their properly designed system.
I don't get a highway drone headache. But at some of the lower RPMS, when it goes from 8 cylinders to 4, it lets out a low bellow. I don't know if I would call it truly drone, as there is still detectable rumbling, but if you're drone sensitive, that speed range might be annoying. in some scenarios. Now a lot of guys will say that about other makers exhausts, almost like the louder it gets the more that drone kicks in, in 4 cylinder mode.

Now what Michael D is talking about is interesting.
Borla claims that their SYSTEMS (as opposed to just a muffler hooked up to the stock pipes) are engineered to avoid drone. The touring is their "sleeper" exhaust system, the quietest of the 3, but retains the great flow characteristics.
In his experience, with a GM engine that also goes from 8 to 4 cylinders, it did not drone on him.
As such he's really interested in that for a Ram, which also has it.

Michael_D

Reaction score
Nicely detailed post, ChadT. Summed up my thoughts and rationale perfectly.

The GM/Borla does not have a designation, but I did call Borla and was told it is similar to their Touring. It is not loud, but leaves no doubt that it's not OEM. And it does get narly at WOT.

I do not like loud exhaust on my personal daily drivers. Loud belongs on a race car, not a 7000-pound pickup truck, IMO. But I do like to have a bit of a rumble with any V8 equipped vehicle.

dmodem

Reaction score
I'd be up for the group purchase, but I'm not up for sending payment to a phantom bank account. If something gets resolved directly through Borla, I'm in.

John

Reaction score
Where will the ship from for the group deal? Any idea on shipping cost?

John

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nicely detailed post, ChadT. Summed up my thoughts and rationale perfectly.

The GM/Borla does not have a designation, but I did call Borla and was told it is similar to their Touring. It is not loud, but leaves no doubt that it's not OEM. And it does get narly at WOT.

Hmm. That's what I like to hear. You have me really thinking hard about that touring system, now finding out it's not going to get mistaken for OEM. Our OEM ram mufflers are just too quiet if you ask me!

I'd be up for the group purchase, but I'm not up for sending payment to a phantom bank account. If something gets resolved directly through Borla, I'm in.

Alright, I think in order to make a borla group buy work, we'd need 2 things.
- perhaps flexibility on the system. Touring or S-type.
- borla handles the money start to finish

You're probably not alone in thinking that. This isn't exactly an old web board with members who have known eachother for years! I think some skepticism is totally understandable.

But what I guess is promising, there are a bunch of members here with interest in borla exhaust systems.
They/we might be able to work something out.

Where will the ship from for the group deal? Any idea on shipping cost?

John

California I think

fact mechanic

Reaction score
Saw the Borla 2019 sneak preview clip for the S-type. Any more sound or video clips posted anywhere for the 2019 versions?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saw the Borla 2019 sneak preview clip for the S-type. Any more sound or video clips posted anywhere for the 2019 versions?

If I had to guess the Borla guys are getting back from SEMA?
I think the comparison video of 3 exhausts is coming maybe next week.

EDIT: After a little reading of some other boards I won't mention here, it's actually believed that Borla makes the Mopar catback exhaust system! There was debate on whether it was a touring or an S-type. Regardless it gives us an idea.

The most convincing tidbits that lead people to that guess
1) Borla's touring package was the base for a GM performance muffler. OEMs are not trying to sell you a muffler system that a Harley rider would wince at. They're trying to sell you a "you can live with this every day, and we won't have the media getting pissy at us for selling you a truck that's too loud." system. It's going to usually be a bit conservative. Knowing this, borla's touring line is an upgrade from stock without getting into the territory where kids in TAPOUT shirts will high-five you when you roll by.
2) It's believed that Borla and corsa do most of the mopar exhaust systems. Borla doing most 5.7 related applications.
3) "some guy's" mechanic remarked that the mopar catback system seemed a lot like a Borla during an install.

If the above is true, then we can look at a mopar catback video in the 4th gen 5.7 as a template for the 5th gen borla touring. Same engine, same pipes, company, goal for the exhaust, etc.
For those interested, here's a video of a ram night edition, which has a mopar exhaust.
The sparknotes: "the exhaust is aggressive, but it's only loud when you want it to be. No annoying drone, it's a very tasteful setup."

This guy's microphones are real good, sensitivity is up high enough to hear the bugs in the background, so dial it down IMHO to get a more accurate take when needed.

Last edited:

DMC

Reaction score
So got notification from summit. The latest is they will ship my Borla S system to me on the 9th. I suppose this could change. Good communication from summit. I’ve always had a good experience with them.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just had my Borla Type S cat back exhaust installed today. This will not be an actual review because I feel I need to put miles on it in order to do that. What I can say is the fit and finish is spot on. Now considering my Ram was stock before minus my 5” Carven tips, it was definitely different when I pushed that start button. For me it’s loud, now when I say loud I’m not saying it slams you against the wall and takes your lunch money. I’m saying you won’t be sneaking out in the middle of the night unless you push the truck.

I can not imagine what the people sitting in the back would feel like after several hours of this. So I’m going to the mountains this weekend and I’ll take the Ram and see if doing that trio quiets it down some.

DMC

Reaction score
Just had my Borla Type S cat back exhaust installed today. This will not be an actual review because I feel I need to put miles on it in order to do that. What I can say is the fit and finish is spot on. Now considering my Ram was stock before minus my 5” Carven tips, it was definitely different when I pushed that start button. For me it’s loud, now when I say loud I’m not saying it slams you against the wall and takes your lunch money. I’m saying you won’t be sneaking out in the middle of the night unless you push the truck.

I can not imagine what the people sitting in the back would feel like after several hours of this. So I’m going to the mountains this weekend and I’ll take the Ram and see if doing that trio quiets it down some.

So do you notice any drone or just the volume overall? Can you carry on a conversation in the truck?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Hmm, so when I got my Borla XR1 on my 4th gen Rebel? (Just the muffler, stock pipes)
I joked, "oh **** I kinda really married the stripper" on that one. Went full retard.
I think a few things happened:
1) The stock exhaust is quiet. It's a huge muffler. It's huge. So going to an aftermarket exhaust? Definitely noticeable. For me I had a "HOLY S**T, uhhh lolll what did I do?" for a month.
I found recording it driving (stationary camera, drive away, normal RPMs) let me figure out mentally how loud it was/wasn't.

2) I think the Borla pipes are a bit stiff and I want to say it gets a little quieter as it breaks in.
Anecdotally speaking, I think my exhaust is a touch quieter a year later than it was new. Part of that is I think the system breaking in, as well as me getting used to it.

dmodem

Reaction score
So, although I thought the "S" was going to be my choice, I don't want it sounding trashy. Maybe I'll have to research the Touring a little closer. Thanks for the update.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh it definitely doesn’t sound trashy, but I’m feeling if it doesn’t quiet down after this weekend trip, I’ll be ordering the “ Touring “ and putting this one up for sale ASAP.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh it definitely doesn’t sound trashy, but I’m feeling if it doesn’t quiet down after this weekend trip, I’ll be ordering the “ Touring “ and putting this one up for sale ASAP.

Pretty understandable.
It took awhile for the XR1 I had/have to settle in.

I will say the think I like about the borla sound? The tone is great. It's spot on. The cold start sounds right, the engine can breathe, it rumbles along at low RPM, and at wide open throttle?
You can tell you're roaring.

I'll never forget the night I got the borla finished and drove home, I passed the local firehouse. A bunch of guys were standing outside.
Within a few minutes several had seen fit to fire up their bro-dozers and fly down the street at WOT to try to re-assert themselves in the pecking order!
I kid not you not, I've noticed several Rams in that lot since they've seen me idle by a few times.
I totally understand working the volume dial on the borla exhaust, but I do believe that's the right sound/tone.
To me at least it is.

I'd be interested to know what the hp gains are? I'm thinking it's about +5 (I base that on my feelings and anecdotes).

Users who are viewing this thread