5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Exhaust

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hmm definitely had to adjust mine a bit but fitment was pretty good.. contact Borla with pics maybe you received one with a bent or misaligned hanger that is throwing everything off.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sent them an email with all of these pictures. I hope to hear back this week.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
My experience with the aftermarket is its usually a little off,the pics you posted show a kit not designed for your truck, or possibly something installed wrong, Borla is a big reputable company, fit wouldn't be that bad.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree on the incorrect installation option, however, when the 1st piece to get installed is the muffler itself, and there are only two bolts that connect it to the factory pipe, and there are the two rubber isolators that hold it at the rear, there isn't much you can do wrong there. If the muffler can is already touching the frame with nothing else connected, that's a problem. Then there's the front hanger just above the two bolts that connect to the factory piping. That front hanger should slide nicely into the isolator, but it's too long and won't hook up. The box states 140752BC, so if it's the wrong system, then that's a factory issue they need to address.

Attachments

• muffler.jpg
    muffler.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 28

Klicht87

Reaction score
Well, I got the Borla S-type and installed it today. For the price, I have to say that I'm very disappointed in the fitment. I need to contact Borla about this. Here's what I found for issues from front to back.
1. The front hanger, with the front of the muffler bolted up, does not fit into the rubber isolator. The hanger hook wants to go through the same isolator hole that's connected to the truck. I think I saw someone else mention this as an issue with their's also. I turned the isolator and have the post going thru a wrong hole just so it has something to hold it up. (pic 1)
100887-9d3ee64a8ad55be92ac0330f332fc973.jpg

2. The muffler can is only a hair away from the frame, so the lightest touch and it bangs on the frame. There's no clearance at all. (pic 2 and pic 2_2)
100888-832527358febf40862447f84c50115aa.jpg
100889-5ff8e66d84f41d9421c184d7f6fae43e.jpg

3. The passenger side pipe is also touching the jounce bumper mount. (pic 3 and pic 3_2 )
100890-e326b9ffd6810878045bf4a1c440eedf.jpg
100891-25d04b23d6059bfbca8eebab37968820.jpg

4. The passenger rear hanger is not staying on the isolator and keeps coming loose, allowing the tip to not remain centered. (pic 4)
100892-aaafa5f879ebefeb8a7315672349a583.jpg
I'm not saying you installed it wrong but I find it hard to believe that the entire setup has poor fitment, especially from Borla. I would say contact them and see what they say but maybe just ask a muffler shop for some advice.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I'm not saying you installed it wrong but I find it hard to believe that the entire setup has poor fitment, especially from Borla. I would say contact them and see what they say but maybe just ask a muffler shop for some advice.
He's not the only one! There's several other threads regarding some of these fitment issues on the Borla systems for the 5th gens. I just installed the Borla Touring myself on Saturday. I managed to remove the stock exhaust without cutting anything. Removed the spare tire and shroud and that provides plenty of extra room to get the stock exhaust out without cutting it. The touring muffler installed without issue but I am experiencing the same issue where the passenger side pipe comes in contact with the bump stop. I managed to manipulate it such that it doesn't touch (though still closer than I like) and by doing that I can't get the tip to align perfectly centered. I have OCD so it won't be staying like this and I plan on revisiting the install this coming weekend. By the time I finished removing the stock exhaust and fiddling with the Borla I was completely "exhausted" (and frustrated). With the price they charge for these systems there shouldn't be any fitment issues. I love the sound but if I can't get the fitment worked out I'll be sending it back.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just spoke with Ryan at Customer Service. He suggested that I go to a reputable muffler shop and have them make any necessary adjustments, up to a specified dollar amount, and they will reimburse me. He asked that I send him an email so he can reply with the reimbursement guarantee. I will do that. That is probably a cheaper option for them than replacing the entire system. I think they need to go back to the drawing board with their design team and have a system, off the shelf, installed on a truck so they can see these issue for themselves.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
Probably subcontracting their manufacturing to a 3rd party to increase their profit, id also bet they're selling on Amazon which gets their cut the instant you hit the purchase button. Quality is gone in history.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I just spoke with Ryan at Customer Service. He suggested that I go to a reputable muffler shop and have them make any necessary adjustments, up to a specified dollar amount, and they will reimburse me. He asked that I send him an email so he can reply with the reimbursement guarantee. I will do that. That is probably a cheaper option for them than replacing the entire system. I think they need to go back to the drawing board with their design team and have a system, off the shelf, installed on a truck so they can see these issue for themselves.
That sounds like a very reasonable solution. My issues aren't quite as bad as yours but if I can't get it taken care of by myself this weekend I will email Borla and ask them if I can do the same.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually received two emails from Borla. I emailed them with all of the pictures and a description of the issue. I then called them late yesterday afternoon since I didn't hear from them. The person I spoke with at customer service said to take it to a shop and they will reimburse me the costs. Today, I got an email response from someone else asking me to provide them my purchase details and they will replace the system under warranty. I wonder which direction I should take...

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I actually received two emails from Borla. I emailed them with all of the pictures and a description of the issue. I then called them late yesterday afternoon since I didn't hear from them. The person I spoke with at customer service said to take it to a shop and they will reimburse me the costs. Today, I got an email response from someone else asking me to provide them my purchase details and they will replace the system under warranty. I wonder which direction I should take...
If you're looking for opinions I'll certainly give you mine as I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. If they gave me that choice (and I hope they do) I would most definitely take it to a shop and get the pros to take care of it. Probably won't take them that long and that sure beats having to remove the complete system and reinstalling a new one and potentially facing the same issues again.

Vol4Life

Reaction score
Dang it. I installed my S-Type on Saturday and the passenger side was touching the bumper. After tinkering with it for an hour I called a local shop and they said I could bring it in within an hour so I jumped on it because I didn't want it damaging my bumper long term. Cost me $70 for them to cut the pipe near the passenger tip and put a coupling over it to then align it properly. Also had them tack weld the three clamped areas so I don't have to worry about them vibrating lose. I didn't take any pictures or anything because I wanted to get it knocked out that day so I bet I can't get anything back from Borla.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I added the Borla S-Type Cat-Back full system to my 19' Laramie and I STILL smile every single time I step on the pedal. I will buy this setup for every truck I ever buy again. It's been three full years now with them and it's VERY RARE to see or hear another Ram like mine. I live in Vegas and work at the convention center, on the strip. Random people comment on how the truck sounds, multiple-times, daily. My wife and kids love the sound too.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Well here's an update I managed to get a good enough fitment to call it good and avoid going to a muffler shop. I removed the inside rear muffler hanger and gently used a prybar to move the muffler inward a bit. I clear the passenger side suspension bump stop by about a half an inch now. Still wish I could get more but after I was finished I tested it. It won't ever hit even on the bumpiest terrain. I also put some composite shims in the middle of the 2 rear rubber isolators which allowed me to clear the bumper and get the tips centered. Not 100% perfect but good enough for my OCD. The tips still have just enough play in them. A little unorthodox but it works fine.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New question for the Borla crowd. Do the tips have weep holes in the bottom? Mine doesn't, so when I washed my truck, the tip filled with water up to the pipe . Is my set totally messed up, or no weep hole is standard?

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
New question for the Borla crowd. Do the tips have weep holes in the bottom? Mine doesn't, so when I washed my truck, the tip filled with water up to the pipe . Is my set totally messed up, or no weep hole is standard?

My touring set doesn't. Doesn't seem to cause problems though.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
My Borla Touring doesn't have weep holes either. I washed my truck yesterday so water would've gotten in there. There's none there now. Hopefully it's a non issue.

Klicht87

Reaction score
My borla ATAK tips do not have weep holes either

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, being as OCD and anal retentive as I am, after I installed the exhaust, I washed the truck. I ran a soapy wash mit over the tips to get rid of finger prints and dust. I noticed the inside of the tips had dirt and other gunk in it, so I washed out the inside of the tip. Needless to say, my rinsing of the soap required that I spray the tips down, inside and out. I had a puddle of water in the tip. Maybe I'll drill a small weep hole at the lowest spot before the exhaust tip connects to the pipe. Thanks

Conundrum

Reaction score
Has the fitment of the Borla systems improved over the past few months or is there anyone still having issues? I'm considering the Borla or possibly something similar that has a better fit.

Users who are viewing this thread