5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Exhaust

RamLink83

Reaction score
Has the fitment of the Borla systems improved over the past few months or is there anyone still having issues? I'm considering the Borla or possibly something similar that has a better fit.
I recently returned my touring due to fitment issues, particularly the passenger side. Went with AWE which has more adjustability and sound pretty good too.

sppb32

Reaction score
I had no fitment problems with my Type S besides the tips were not easy to adjust, i like them to stick out a bit and they were actually inside the bumper if you slide the pipe connections all the way in, my other issue was the cold start was way too loud for the neighborhood i live in, i like it but not at 4:30 am so i added a resonator and it sounds much better now.

JJameSS

Reaction score
I had fitment issues on my S Type that I just installed this past weekend on my 21' w/o stock resonator and its pretty loud imo. I even had a loudmouth system on my 02 Camaro SS and this sounds similar in the cab, but back to the fitment issues I had to bend some of the hangers to get things to shift correctly because I initially had metal on metal contact. I wonder if I considered going down to the Touring would it be that much quieter. It does seem a little overwhelming in the cad.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I had fitment issues on my S Type that I just installed this past weekend on my 21' w/o stock resonator and its pretty loud imo. I even had a loudmouth system on my 02 Camaro SS and this sounds similar in the cab, but back to the fitment issues I had to bend some of the hangers to get things to shift correctly because I initially had metal on metal contact. I wonder if I considered going down to the Touring would it be that much quieter. It does seem a little overwhelming in the cad.
Never heard the s type, but the touring was plenty loud. It's a shame the borla has these fitment issues.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I have the Touring and while it's loud on a cold start I don't consider it to be loud in the cab while cruising. No trouble to hear it when you walk on it though.

Klicht87

Reaction score
My ATAK fit pretty well up until the tailpipes. Borla needs to modify the tailpipes in a way to fit like the stock pipes with the ball flange on the end. I ended up selling mine for the AWE which adds a Y-pipe after the muffler, and separate pieces for the tailpipes, plus the tips themselves. A few more parts but adds so much more ways for adjustability. AWE is really quiet in the cabin and even more quiet on the highway when you turn off MDS. My Borla ATAK was just too loud all the time. I heard the other borla systems (S-type and Touring) are just as loud but with a different tone.

JJameSS

Reaction score
My ATAK fit pretty well up until the tailpipes. Borla needs to modify the tailpipes in a way to fit like the stock pipes with the ball flange on the end. I ended up selling mine for the AWE which adds a Y-pipe after the muffler, and separate pieces for the tailpipes, plus the tips themselves. A few more parts but adds so much more ways for adjustability. AWE is really quiet in the cabin and even more quiet on the highway when you turn off MDS. My Borla ATAK was just too loud all the time. I heard the other borla systems (S-type and Touring) are just as loud but with a different tone.
Did you find your Atak mellowing out at all after the carbon built up a bit? I know my exhaust is only a couple of days old but mannnn the cabin echoing in not good at all. I wonder after a few weeks if it will mellow out a bit.

Last edited:

JJameSS

Reaction score
I have the Touring and while it's loud on a cold start I don't consider it to be loud in the cab while cruising. No trouble to hear it when you walk on it though.
Do you have the stock resonator in front of the muffler? I think for certain 20's and all of 21's this resonator was removed in order to make the stock exhaust a bit more appealing.

JJameSS

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info. if the new 22 Ram GT exhaust will be for sale aftermarket?

RamLink83

Reaction score
Do you have the stock resonator in front of the muffler? I think for certain 20's and all of 21's this resonator was removed in order to make the stock exhaust a bit more appealing.
My 2020 has the front resonator. The Borla Touring was still pretty loud, even in the cabin. I now have the AWE and it's much better in the cabin. Still can hear it, but the volume is definitely lower. It now sounds like most of the exhaust sound is coming from the rear of the truck, where with the Borla, it sounded like the exhaust was exiting at the cab making it sound louder. AWE has what they call 180 technology which is supposed to keep the sound at the rear...it seems to do the job pretty well. Plus side with the AWE you got the tip adjustability similar to stock.

Klicht87

Reaction score
My 2020 has the front resonator. The Borla Touring was still pretty loud, even in the cabin. I now have the AWE and it's much better in the cabin. Still can hear it, but the volume is definitely lower. It now sounds like most of the exhaust sound is coming from the rear of the truck, where with the Borla, it sounded like the exhaust was exiting at the cab making it sound louder. AWE has what they call 180 technology which is supposed to keep the sound at the rear...it seems to do the job pretty well. Plus side with the AWE you got the tip adjustability similar to stock.
I have the same results with everything you said.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Did you find your Atak mellowing out at all after the carbon built up a bit? I know my exhaust is only a couple of days old but mannnn the cabin echoing in not good at all. I wonder after a few weeks if it will mellow out a bit.
I only had it on for a few months but never noticed the sound subside at all. I also had the borla resonator and it calmed it a little bit in the cab but the noise (not drone) was rather annoying on the highway. I felt bad for the neighborhood when dropping my daughter off at school early in the morning.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info. if the new 22 Ram GT exhaust will be for sale aftermarket?
isn't it just the MOPAR exhaust? People on this forum say borla made it...not sure if that's true. I haven't heard any complaints with that system. I just thought it was a little pricey considering it didn't come with tips. You either buy the upgraded 5" tips or use your existing factory tips.

Chief holley

Reaction score
I had the flow fx muffler on my truck originally, I thought it was ok. Slight drone from it. I wanted something a little more cleaner in sound, so I jumped at the opportunity when someone was selling an unused s type. It was damaged during shipment for him, the tips were bent. That was ok for me because I wanted to keep my factory black tips anyway. For me, the exhaust is just right. Very clean and smooth sound, sounds loud when you are not playing music with the windows. But you can still hear a nice growl when you are accelerating. I barely hear it when cruising.

Selcher

Reaction score
I test drove a GT a couple weeks ago and the exhaust sounded amazing! The dealer said it was the Mopar catback (Borla S type) but not sure if it was S type or Atak. Sounds unreal though.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I test drove a GT a couple weeks ago and the exhaust sounded amazing! The dealer said it was the Mopar catback (Borla S type) but not sure if it was S type or Atak. Sounds unreal though.
Some have said it is made by Borla but not confirmed.

Users who are viewing this thread