5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Badging - How to ?

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you’re that worried about it you could just tape it off and Plasti Dip it, cost you about $5 vs $55 for the new badge.

Black.mamba208

Reaction score
So5thgen has a video on how to do it on YouTube. I did mine a few weeks ago and it wasn’t too bad. Took maybe thirty minutes or so.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Forgive me if this was answered in this thread already I'm just being lazy and not reading through all the pages. For anyone that gets used emblems to throw on what type of adhesive did you use to put on the used emblems? I know 3m would work but is there any place to get sort of a factory shape adhesive for these emblems? Thanks

cms062407

Reaction score
Plasti dip looks great for about 3 months before it starts to fade or peel. You can see in his picture that the corner didn't get covered well and the chrome already is showing.

I used Herculiner spray bed liner on my Titan. More of a pain to tape off and paint, but it still looked fresh after 2 years of being outside and barely getting washed. Same thing I did to the RAM emblem on the front of my Rebel.
that is not necessarily true about plastidip...if applied properly it could easily last years, especially on a non high traffic area of the vehicle...if plastidip peels or fades after 3 months, that means the person didn't do something right.

tac63

Reaction score
I used Hyperdip from DipYourCar initially since I was unsure if I wanted to black out emblems, remove them, or leave them chrome. I followed instructions (taped off an area about 2" out from all edges of emblem, then sprayed multiple coats as instructed, then removed tape and peeled off excess spray) and for the 2 hood emblems, door emblems, grille, and tailgate emblems I spent maybe 1 hr total. Easy process as long as you follow the directions. After a little over a year I had 1 or 2 emblems where either I didn't put enough coats and a corner was barely showing or the peel had let loose on a small piece. At that time I bought a blackout emblem package (ebay - $88.88, included grill emblem, doors, ram head for tailgate and 4x4 emblem). They appeared OEM with OEM labels and adhesive. I just last month replaced the hyperdip emblems with those since I didn't want to worry about them peeling or fading. The Laramie emblem on the tailgate however seems much more expensive to find in black so I resprayed it with more hyperdip and it should be good even if I touch it up once a year.

Users who are viewing this thread