5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein shocks on 3.5” readylift

Lonestar21

Reaction score
What do you guys think about adding Bilstein shocks to the 3.5” Ready Lift kit instead of installing the spring spacers?

Will it work? Good Idea?

Attachments

• 8DFECC9A-941C-4907-869C-5777BD370DB1.png
    8DFECC9A-941C-4907-869C-5777BD370DB1.png
    181.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DB232A1A-D891-4AEB-B4D1-44E0482FA5B9.png
    DB232A1A-D891-4AEB-B4D1-44E0482FA5B9.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 51

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
You will still need the top hat spacer or the spring spacer to achieve the full 3.5".

IMO you could save money by buying the components below.

Top hat spacer for the front price varies from $70 you can go with a 1" and max setting on Bilstein or 2" and use the mid setting
1.5" rear spacer which is around $50
You can still buy the UCA's separably which will run you around $450 from Readylift

Lonestar21

Reaction score
You will still need the top hat spacer or the spring spacer to achieve the full 3.5".

IMO you could save money by buying the components below.

Top hat spacer for the front price varies from $70 you can go with a 1" and max setting on Bilstein or 2" and use the mid setting
1.5" rear spacer which is around $50
You can still buy the UCA's separably which will run you around $450 from Readylift

yes I plan on doing the top hat spacer and then adjusting the height of the bilstein shocks to give me the 3.5” total lift.

I paid $580 for the 3.5” readylift kit (new) so not bad compared to the $900. So no need to mix and match other parts to create this kit

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
yes I plan on doing the top hat spacer and then adjusting the height of the bilstein shocks to give me the 3.5” total lift.
I am looking at doing the same. I've been sitting on the RL 3.5 kit for a year....if the Bilsteins give a better ride quality I plan on installing next month. I assume 4th setting. @ 1.4" + top hat spacer.

Kendragon

Reaction score
Hey, let's keep this going! Lonestar, I wound up getting the last Readylift that you mentioned. I offered $580 and they took it. 619 shipped and tax. I may order the front bilstiens for now, then the rears later, or just order the whole kit. Could you tell BiGJZ what setting you used? I think it was the #5 setting without the preload spacer, correct?

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Hey, let's keep this going! Lonestar, I wound up getting the last Readylift that you mentioned. I offered $580 and they took it. 619 shipped and tax. I may order the front bilstiens for now, then the rears later, or just order the whole kit. Could you tell BiGJZ what setting you used? I think it was the #5 setting without the preload spacer, correct?

nice!!
From my research the rear was not an issue really. It was the front that people had problems with the rough ride. That’s why I only did the front bilsteins.
I’m satisfied with the ride

Saints

Reaction score
nice!!
From my research the rear was not an issue really. It was the front that people had problems with the rough ride. That’s why I only did the front bilsteins.
I’m satisfied with the ride
Just to clarify you have the 3.5” ready lift kit and took out the preload spacer and added the bilsteins on the 4th setting? You say you are satisfied with the ride, but how did it change? Just curious as I’m considering doing the same thing. The ride isn’t terrible now, but it’s a little bouncy and I can feel everything in the road.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Just to clarify you have the 3.5” ready lift kit and took out the preload spacer and added the bilsteins on the 4th setting? You say you are satisfied with the ride, but how did it change? Just curious as I’m considering doing the same thing. The ride isn’t terrible now, but it’s a little bouncy and I can feel everything in the road.

I didn’t have the 3.5” kit before. I had it installed new along with the bilstein shocks at the 5th setting. That’s correct I didn’t install the preload spacers at all.

I made this decision based on reviews stating the pre load spacer made the Ride rough.
So far I have no complains with the 3.5” kit with bilsteins. But again I don’t know how it rode with the preload spacers.

Kendragon

Reaction score
Hey Lonestar, the top hat spacer with the lugs is 2", and the preload spacers are 1.5", or is it the other way around?

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Hey Lonestar, the top hat spacer with the lugs is 2", and the preload spacers are 1.5", or is it the other way around?

correct top is 2” so that’s the one you will be installing.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
That makes since I guess, on making the ride less stiff being as the bilstein would stretch the spring, I'm guessing. Hell if I know, lol.

lol same way I was.
All I know is that it rides good lol

Ram1992

Reaction score
What measurements do y’all have from the center hub to the fender? I’m trying to decide where I’m at compared to the RL.

VaBeachRam

Reaction score
I didn’t have the 3.5” kit before. I had it installed new along with the bilstein shocks at the 5th setting. That’s correct I didn’t install the preload spacers at all.

I made this decision based on reviews stating the pre load spacer made the Ride rough.
So far I have no complains with the 3.5” kit with bilsteins. But again I don’t know how it rode with the preload spacers.

Do you have any pictures or measurements to see how that 5th setting sets? I am about to do the same thing and trying to figure out if I want to go with the 4th setting or 5th setting.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Old thread I know but my truck is at the shop now getting the Bilsteins installed. Was 4 the general consensus? I have the RL 3.5 now and sits level but wouldn’t mind a bit of rake since it ends up slightly nose high when towing my little camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
For anyone asking the same question and stumbling across this thread I just wanted to post a follow up. I went with the 4th setting and removed the preload spacer. I was dead level before and am now at about 3/4 inch of rake. I am actually ok with this since the truck looked a little squatty if I had it loaded up for camping or had my tiny trailer hooked up. Ride is amazing compared to OEM and would definitely recommend if you are even considering.

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
For anyone asking the same question and stumbling across this thread I just wanted to post a follow up. I went with the 4th setting and removed the preload spacer. I was dead level before and am now at about 3/4 inch of rake. I am actually ok with this since the truck looked a little squatty if I had it loaded up for camping or had my tiny trailer hooked up. Ride is amazing compared to OEM and would definitely recommend if you are even considering.

I went with #4 as well, perfect stance and great ride quality

VaBeachRam

Reaction score
Yeah i went with setting 5 from reading previous posts and was about 1/2 higher in the front, waited about 2 months and went to the shop to put it on the 4th notch and took another measurement before i did and it was dead even so I didn't change it. I wouldn't mind a slight rake on setting 4 though

Users who are viewing this thread