5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Hopefully easy questions that can be answered quickly here... for an old guy driven 1500 crew is the Bilstein 5100 adjustable the generally advised, accepted, easiest, whatever, way to just level out the oem lean some yet keep ride nice? Assuming so, what setting are folks using most and are these shocks ever available? Thanks!
The tophat spacers are easiest and cheapest. Dont have to compress the spring and take the strut out. Just a puck to bolt on top.
The Bilstein or other adjustable struts replace the strut of course and involve more disassembly

Ibanez540r

Reaction score
I would like to hear some feedback too.
I cant help with the ride, but I have a set in my garage and dont think I am going to use them.
Just going to level now I think and install the 5100's front and rear.
For the money I would grab ORG springs for $50 I think. I bought my B12 springs before I knew ORG were available so cheap.
If you're interested in selling them, let me know.

The ORG springs are near $100 apiece last I checked.
Aren’t they advised as 1.5”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have them on my truck but I got 1.5" of lift. The rear 5100 shocks are good for up to 2" on a stock truck and 1" over a ORG truck. they seem fine to me. I believe the rear ORP springs may have gone up in price. Eibach has 1" for $175. I know the ORP spring that are listed for my truck are over a $100 a spring. Now I got front ones for $19 a spring + shipping so I think I paid $56 for the ORP springs.
I can't remember where I saw it, but it depends on which cab and/or bed length. The same spring provides between 1" up to 1.5" depending on your truck. There were three steps, and I'm not sure if it was a standard cab, quad cab, and crew cab, or if the bed length was a combination as well. But the Bilstein document showed 1" lift, 1.25" lift, and 1.5" lift based on the truck combination. I've got a crew cab 6.5' bed, so I'd get a 1" lift out of them.

397STROKER

Reaction score
If you're interested in selling them, let me know.

The ORG springs are near $100 apiece last I checked.

I can't remember where I saw it, but it depends on which cab and/or bed length. The same spring provides between 1" up to 1.5" depending on your truck. There were three steps, and I'm not sure if it was a standard cab, quad cab, and crew cab, or if the bed length was a combination as well. But the Bilstein document showed 1" lift, 1.25" lift, and 1.5" lift based on the truck combination. I've got a crew cab 6.5' bed, so I'd get a 1" lift out of them.
I have a Crew cab with the 6.4' bed and I got 1.5"

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Crew cab with the 6.4' bed and I got 1.5"
Could you please share a pic of your truck?
Also, how is the ride with your current setup? Any issues, complaints?
And one last crazy question…would you know total height of truck now, highest roof point to ground?

Your setup is kinda what I am looking at down the road. Already got the shocks for the level, am considering the Bilstein springs for the back, but am not sure on the front. Probably gonna go with new UCA’s, but not sure if want to go 5th ring, or leave it at 4 with spacers. Want a bit more lift, but still retain a bit of rake, too.

Thanks in advance for your time…👍

EJ84

Reaction score
Isn’t this the ORG rear spring? I always thought they were fairly cheap

Attachments

• 3489850D-1967-46CE-885D-5201944715EF.png
    3489850D-1967-46CE-885D-5201944715EF.png
    217.3 KB · Views: 41

397STROKER

Reaction score
Isn’t this the ORG rear spring? I always thought they were fairly cheap
That is one of them. Somewhere on here is a thread that has a chart with what the replacement is based on the current spring that is on your truck. I think the thread had to do with the built to serve edition not coming with the ORP springs and in FCA fixing the issue one of the dealers provided the chart that was given to them.

397STROKER

Reaction score
And one last crazy question…would you know total height of truck now, highest roof point to ground?

Your setup is kinda what I am looking at down the road. Already got the shocks for the level, am considering the Bilstein springs for the back, but am not sure on the front. Probably gonna go with new UCA’s, but not sure if want to go 5th ring, or leave it at 4 with spacers. Want a bit more lift, but still retain a bit of rake, too.

I will get a picture today before it start snowing and take some measurements too.

397STROKER

Reaction score

The ride is pretty good, a little stiffer that stock, but I am considering lowering the front by a 1/2" for a little more rake. Not sure if I will just remove the 1/2" spacer or drop the setting on the bilsteins to 3 to soften the ride a little more.
The over all height is around 81, 82 " at the Sat fin. I took the one picture in front of the garage so you can see it will fit. My door is 89" high.
I have the RC UCAs on mine. Right now I am 3" up in the front and 1.5" in the rear.

Attachments

• Truck1.jpg
    Truck1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Truck2.png
    Truck2.png
    595.5 KB · Views: 133

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ride is pretty good, a little stiffer that stock, but I am considering lowering the front by a 1/2" for a little more rake. Not sure if I will just remove the 1/2" spacer or drop the setting on the bilsteins to 3 to soften the ride a little more.
The over all height is around 81, 82 " at the Sat fin. I took the one picture in front of the garage so you can see it will fit. My door is 89" high.
I have the RC UCAs on mine. Right now I am 3" up in the front and 1.5" in the rear.

Just take out 5psi in the tires.. ride is much better.

397STROKER

Reaction score
Just take out 5psi in the tires.. ride is much better.

I hear you with tire pressure but the ride is not bad at all, at least on the road. I currently run the tires at 40 psi. I think I will try running up over some curbs or take it off road some before I make my decision.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my leveling kit settled after about 10 miles and I sit completely level now. The ride is ok it definitely feels like a truck now and that is what I’m used too! The factory ride is so smooth I felt like I was in a Chrysler 300 so it is a big difference but I can’t complain. For the price I would do it again.
the difference in ride is there and you summarized it very good. I also have been driving either level or lifted for a while so pretty used to it. So I am finding my ride pretty normal. And still comfortable.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks great! Appreciate the pics and answering my questions.
A couple more…What size tires you running? Any rubbing issues?
Super clean truck, dude, love your setup.
Love the look of the lifted CC 6’4 beds. Well done 👍

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, shoulda just read your signature for tire size…duh. Again, appreciate the share and time spent measuring, brother. Thank you!

Jeremy1974

Reaction score
Just to ask since I couldn't find the chart...what is the correct ride height from bottom of the front bumper/trailer hitch or bottom of the front /rear wheel wells IF you have the correct sprints on a BTS Edition?

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear you with tire pressure but the ride is not bad at all, at least on the road. I currently run the tires at 40 psi. I think I will try running up over some curbs or take it off road some before I make my decision.
Truck looks great . . . Ton of similarities in what you've done, and what I'm gonna do . . . I'm CC 6'4" no ORP . . . Doin the color matched wheels, 2" rear spacer with Hellwig and Core links, and 2" Readylift tophat with UCA's combined with Bils at #4 for 3.3" in the front . . . Gonna run 295/60R20 Toyo AT III's . . . I like a lil more wheel to fender gap . . . And I have to slide in an 84" door

Kwalker88

Reaction score
Truck looks great . . . Ton of similarities in what you've done, and what I'm gonna do . . . I'm CC 6'4" no ORP . . . Doin the color matched wheels, 2" rear spacer with Hellwig and Core links, and 2" Readylift tophat with UCA's combined with Bils at #4 for 3.3" in the front . . . Gonna run 295/60R20 Toyo AT III's . . . I like a lil more wheel to fender gap . . . And I have to slide in an 84" door
Go 35x12.50x20, or instant ragrets

Users who are viewing this thread