5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do the ORG trucks have the same spring perch as the rebels? I just ordered a set of front and back 5100s and want to make sure that I’m not messing it up.
And yes all the 1500s have the same spring perches.
My understanding is that the Rebel comes with Bilsteins so already has the spring perch. All other non-air suspension 1500s (including the ORG) need to use the required spring perch adapter that comes with the 5100s.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My understanding is that the Rebel comes with Bilsteins so already has the spring perch. All other non-air suspension 1500s (including the ORG) need to use the required spring perch adapter that comes with the 5100s.

Correct. The Stock bilsteins are the same diameter as 5100’s. The ORP shocks aren’t. The perch is used for the difference in diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EJ84

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but is there any benefit in ride quality if I used a lower setting and added a spacer to make up 1”. I’m probably overthinking this but my thought was the spring would be less compressed.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but is there any benefit in ride quality if I used a lower setting and added a spacer to make up 1”. I’m probably overthinking this but my thought was the spring would be less compressed.
I could be wrong here, but the shock should allow enough extension at all levels except the top level to not preload the spring.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been dealing with a clunking noise when going over bumps since I installed my bilsteins. Today I went through and tightened everything, nothing loose that resolved it. At this point its almost seeming like the bilsteins are topping out. The clunk only happens when hitting deep potholes or going about 20-25mph over speed bumps where the suspension has the chance to top out. I guess being at setting #5 on ORP wasn't a great idea after all! Going to be tearing them apart and going to setting #4 in a couple weeks.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been dealing with a clunking noise when going over bumps since I installed my bilsteins. Today I went through and tightened everything, nothing loose that resolved it. At this point its almost seeming like the bilsteins are topping out. The clunk only happens when hitting deep potholes or going about 20-25mph over speed bumps where the suspension has the chance to top out. I guess being at setting #5 on ORP wasn't a great idea after all! Going to be tearing them apart and going to setting #4 in a couple weeks.
Interesting. Seems you would still have leftover travel from the lower ring setting required for the ORP. That sucks to hear.
Got the call from 4WP that all my parts came in, and on Nov. 9th, will be installing the front and rear shocks, along with new wheels and tires. I have a North Edition with the ORP, truck currently sits at 37 1/2 in the front, 39 5/8 in the rear, floor to fender. If I go max 5th ring, I’ll have about an 8th of an inch of rake. At the 4th ring, looking at about 5/8th inch rake.
Would it just make sense to go right to the 4th ring? I think I would still clear the new 33x12.5x22 shoes I am upgrading to with no modifications.

I love the leveled look, but also carry stuff frequently so wanna keep as much bed squat to a minimum. Also don’t wanna sacrifice ride quality, or deal with over extending shocks constantly during my drive to work. My drive is littered with road imperfections, mostly the last few miles have dips and drops. Or I am just asking for too much ?!?!??? Lol😜. Omg sorry for my ramblin…🤦🏻‍♂️

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. Seems you would still have leftover travel from the lower ring setting required for the ORP. That sucks to hear.
Got the call from 4WP that all my parts came in, and on Nov. 9th, will be installing the front and rear shocks, along with new wheels and tires. I have a North Edition with the ORP, truck currently sits at 37 1/2 in the front, 39 5/8 in the rear, floor to fender. If I go max 5th ring, I’ll have about an 8th of an inch of rake. At the 4th ring, looking at about 5/8th inch rake.
Would it just make sense to go right to the 4th ring? I think I would still clear the new 33x12.5x22 shoes I am upgrading to with no modifications.

I love the leveled look, but also carry stuff frequently so wanna keep as much bed squat to a minimum. Also don’t wanna sacrifice ride quality, or deal with over extending shocks constantly during my drive to work. My drive is littered with road imperfections, mostly the last few miles have dips and drops. Or I am just asking for too much ?!?!??? Lol😜. Omg sorry for my ramblin…🤦🏻‍♂️
I ran 33x11.5x20s on my last truck with ORP and no level kit and have no issues you’ll be perfectly fine at setting 4 or 5 on the bilsteins. I would recommend setting 4 because your truck might appear nose high at 5. If you put any weight in the bed it’ll definitely be nose high.
I’m pretty much at a loss on what is causing my clunks. I haven’t seen any indication that the UCA is hitting the spring and the bolts are all to spec. Only thing I haven’t been able to check is the the upper strut but it feels like it’s plenty tight. I’ll have to drop mine down to setting #4 and see if that resolves it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ran 33x11.5x20s on my last truck with ORP and no level kit and have no issues you’ll be perfectly fine at setting 4 or 5 on the bilsteins. I would recommend setting 4 because your truck might appear nose high at 5. If you put any weight in the bed it’ll definitely be nose high.
I’m pretty much at a loss on what is causing my clunks. I haven’t seen any indication that the UCA is hitting the spring and the bolts are all to spec. Only thing I haven’t been able to check is the the upper strut but it feels like it’s plenty tight. I’ll have to drop mine down to setting #4 and see if that resolves it.
The upper strut mounts to frame connection only need 30 foot pounds so if they are tight with a wrench or 3/8 ratchet, then they’re tight enough. However, something else to check in that area is the shock to upper strut mount tightness.

Jtimm2007

Reaction score
Correct. The Stock bilsteins are the same diameter as 5100’s. The ORP shocks aren’t. The perch is used for the difference in diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I WILL have to use the supplied adapter from the 5100s on my ORG package? I just don’t want to put it in and have to take it apart again

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I WILL have to use the supplied adapter from the 5100s on my ORG package? I just don’t want to put it in and have to take it apart again
Yes. You need to use the spring perch adapters on ORG trucks. The OEM ORP shock diameter is different than the 5100 shock diameter which requires you to use the adapter.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. You need to use the spring perch adapters on ORG trucks. The OEM ORP shock diameter is different than the 5100 shock diameter which requires you to use the adapter.
You have to use the adapter on everything except the Rebel. The Rebel is the only one that comes with Bilstein shocks.

All other models come with something else. I'm not sure what the "regular" trucks come with but the ORG shocks are Hitachi.

397STROKER

Reaction score
New to the forum, not new to Dodge/Ram trucks but I have been away from having a truck for 14 years. I have a 2021 bighorn and have used the b5100 to lift the front by using ORP springs and set on #4 with a 1/2 inch top spacer for 3 inches of lift and then lifted the rear with the Bilstein springs which gave 1.5 inches of lift. I like how the truck sits with about 1 inch rake but I have concerns around the CV angles. Anyone have pictures of their CV angles that have gone B5100 with ORP springs and set on #5 for the 3 inches. I also have RC UCAs.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
lol got tired of waiting on the bilsteins and install some belltech yesterday only to be notify by shock surplus that they have some in stock this morning.
So anybody in need check out shock surplus

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I spent hours until 230 am last night reading this entier thread. I decided I'm going to do 5100s all around to go with my upcoming first set of tire upgrade on my 2019.

I found the rears available from Bilsteinlifts.com and the best price on the fronts on Ebay with a 5% off coupon so it was like $250 for the pair after taxes. Had them in my cart about to purchase, but was tired and said I'd wait until morning to look around a little more. Woke up this morning and tried to purchase and got an error. Ends up the 4 availabe were already sold. Started searching the net and realized these are on a national back order!!! I'm SO MAD I didnt order them last night! I need these asap to install and be able to get tires before the snow (NE Ohio). Ugh.. frustrating..

I did order the rears, just gotta find the fronts.
if you still looking check shock surplus, they just re stock them

Ibanez540r

Reaction score
if you still looking check shock surplus, they just re stock them
Man, I was just thinking about how much I still regret this. My tires finally came in and the Bilsteins are showing backorder until March 2022. Just checked shock surplus and not in stock! ?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man, I was just thinking about how much I still regret this. My tires finally came in and the Bilsteins are showing backorder until March 2022. Just checked shock surplus and not in stock! ?
sorry you miss them again, those go out so fast. I see they are gone again. click to be notify when available. that is how I was notified yesterday but since I already install the belltech. I was almost tempted to buy them but decided to pass

397STROKER

Reaction score
How do you like the belltechs? How do they ride? How much lift did you set them for?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you like the belltechs? How do they ride? How much lift did you set them for?
Not sure if i can give a fair review after just 2 days of driving and not yet having the alignment check/done. I would say if anything i feel the road imperfection just a hair more than what i remember on stock.
Before i was at 38.5 front and 40 in the back on 275 /60/20 tires. And i measure several times.
After 39.5 and 40.
However i did the install twice.
Belltech uses a combination of 8mm and 16mm rings to create the lift.
First i used 2 of the 8mm that was suppose to get me 1" but i was only getting 1/2.
So ended up using 1 of each rings that was suppose to get me 1.5 but i only got 1".
20211221_212730.jpg

Jtimm2007

Reaction score
One more thing,
I already have a mopar 2” lift in my truck and I switched the UCA to a Rough Country UCA due to having 3”+ of lift. I plan to take out the mopar lift and put in the 5100’s on level 3 giving me, what I understand, 2” of lift from factory height. (1” from 5100’s and 1” from ORG springs) should I keep the RC UCAs or go back to the original UCAs or find different UCAs?

Morenar

Reaction score
For those of you that used the 5100 adjustables in the front at circlip 5 and the Readylift top hat spacer. Did you notice the front settle after a few days? I also added at the same time the 5100 non adjustables in the back with the Readylift rear spring spacer. The front is noticeably lower now a few days after the lift was installed.

Users who are viewing this thread