5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

Morenar

Reaction score
Question on the Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks. Does it matter the way the factory springs direction/are clocked affect the height? I had my bilstein installed in December on circlip 5 with the 3.5 SST lift top hat minus the preload and I have a noticeable rake. It is not completely leveled at all.

397STROKER

Reaction score
The instructions do tell you to mark them before disassembling so you clock they correctly. Not sure how much this affect the installed height. Are you sure they set them on 5 which would be 1.7". Are you sure they added the top hat spacer? I think the SST top hat is 1.5".

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question on the Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks. Does it matter the way the factory springs direction/are clocked affect the height? I had my bilstein installed in December on circlip 5 with the 3.5 SST lift top hat minus the preload and I have a noticeable rake. It is not completely leveled at all.

The Bilstein instructions are pretty specific

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morenar

Reaction score
Yeah
The instructions do tell you to mark them before disassembling so you clock they correctly. Not sure how much this affect the installed height. Are you sure they set them on 5 which would be 1.7". Are you sure they added the top hat spacer? I think the SST top hat is 1.5"
I don't see any markings and yeah I do see the top hat spacer. I also checked the circlip and it is on 5.

Morenar

Reaction score
The Bilstein instructions are pretty specific

It's a shop that does only lifts. So I expect they knew how or would follow directions. I had one issue after install where the passenger top strut nut came loose and had to be retorqued. So now I am questioning if they did this right.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a shop that does only lifts. So I expect they knew how or would follow directions. I had one issue after install where the passenger top strut nut came loose and had to be retorqued. So now I am questioning if they did this right.

There have also been cases where the stock bolts extend thru and past the RL tophat spacer …. If the shop didn’t pay attention, and trim them if needed, they will never be right

Morenar

Reaction score
That I did not check to see if they were shorter and not contacting the mounting point from underneath, but that should not affect the height though.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That I did not check to see if they were shorter and not contacting the mounting point from underneath, but that should not affect the height though.

What were your ground to wheel well measurements before and after the install ?

Morenar

Reaction score
What were your ground to wheel well measurements before and after the install ?

Forgot to check before like an idiot. I checked a week after the install and they are. When measuring the rear from the ground to the center of the wheel well with 22" wheels it measures 42.75" and the front measures 40.25"

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgot to check before like an idiot. I checked a week after the install and they are. When measuring the rear from the ground to the center of the wheel well with 22" wheels it measures 42.75" and the front measures 40.25"

My stock starting numbers are 36”F 38.5”R …. So your front number would seem OK to me …. I would be looking at the rear …. That seems crazy high for just a 2” spacer

Morenar

Reaction score
My stock starting numbers are 36”F 38.5”R …. So your front number would seem OK to me …. I would be looking at the rear …. That seems crazy high for just a 2” spacer

I had the 5100 non adjustable shocks installed in the rear to replace the stocks but I wouldn't think that would give any lift. So are typical numbers from the 3.5 SST kit about 40" all around?

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the 5100 non adjustable shocks installed in the rear to replace the stocks but I wouldn't think that would give any lift. So are typical numbers from the 3.5 SST kit about 40" all around?

All depends on the numbers you started with …. But yes

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked other threads on the forum and some folks ended up with 41.5” front and 42” rear.

Without beginning measurements, there is no way to know or comment

397STROKER

Reaction score
Center of the hub to the fender-well is a better measurement as it takes the tire/rim differences out of the mix. Stock I was 22 in the front and 24.5 in the rear. I now sit at 25 in the front and 26 in the rear. Also, the front wheel-well is cut 1/4" higher than the back, So I sit with around 3/4" rake.

Morenar

Reaction score
Center of the hub to the fender-well is a better measurement as it takes the tire/rim differences out of the mix. Stock I was 22 in the front and 24.5 in the rear. I now sit at 25 in the front and 26 in the rear. Also, the front wheel-well is cut 1/4" higher than the back, So I sit with around 3/4" rake.
I just measured and it's 23 1/2 in the front and 25 in the rear after lift.

397STROKER

Reaction score
That seems like you only got around 1.5" of lift. Did the spacers from the SST kit get installed in the rear, as 24.5 is what I was stock? If you have the Bilstein's on 5 and the spacer, you should be just over 3" up in the front. It almost seems like the Bilstein's are set at stock or the spacer is not installed. Unless your truck new sat really low, something doesn't seem right. AS said before, without measurement before the lift, it is hard to say.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, now I gotta do my hub measurements …. As soon as somebody unloads the boat full of Bilsteins sittin in the port at Cali, and Summit ships em, I have a 2” rear Motofab spacer, with Bils, Hellwig, and Core links …. Up front will be Bils at clip #3, and a 2” Readylift kit that includes UCA’s, for what should be 2.9” of lift …. Then I can mount my 20” X 10” -18 Fuels with 305/55R20 Nitto TG’s …. I was told there would be not math, so we’ll see what I get out of it …. Will definitely report back with numbers and pics

Users who are viewing this thread