5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

397STROKER

Reaction score
For those of you that used the 5100 adjustables in the front at circlip 5 and the Readylift top hat spacer. Did you notice the front settle after a few days? I also added at the same time the 5100 non adjustables in the back with the Readylift rear spring spacer. The front is noticeably lower now a few days after the lift was installed.
I used the 5100s set on 4 with OR springs and a 1/2" tophat spacer and was 3.5" at first measure but it then settled to 3", which is where it should be.

397STROKER

Reaction score
The rear is about 2 inches higher. I wonder if the new 5100's in the rear may take longer to settle.
The shocks in the back will not have anything to do with settling. Springs settle. Didn't you lift the rear with a 2" spacer from the readylift kit? Usually when you use an existing spring with a spacer there isn't any settling and if there is it is within a ride around block or bouncing the truck up and down.

Morenar

Reaction score
The shocks in the back will not have anything to do with settling. Springs settle. Didn't you lift the rear with a 2" spacer from the readylift kit? Usually when you use an existing spring with a spacer there isn't any settling and if there is it is within a ride around block or bouncing the truck up and down.
Sorry, I meant that the rear is two inches higher than the front after being lifted. I thought the Readylift 3.5 would make the truck level instead of that much of a rake.

Kwalker88

Reaction score
Another bell tech installer here, just installed bell tech struts set @ there 2” setting with sky jacker UCA. Fender height before on 295/70/18 was
37 3/4 front
39 1/2 rear
After bell tech and skyjacker uca
40 1/2 front
39 3/4 rear

followed there instructions to the T, even called before to make sure I was using right spacers. Not sure how I got so much level, will be aligning tomorrow & swapping 295s for 35s this weekend possibly adding 1” rear spring spacer. Any other guys get more than 2” of level on these adjustable struts?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another bell tech installer here, just installed bell tech struts set @ there 2” setting with sky jacker UCA. Fender height before on 295/70/18 was
37 3/4 front
39 1/2 rear
After bell tech and skyjacker uca
40 1/2 front
39 3/4 rear

followed there instructions to the T, even called before to make sure I was using right spacers. Not sure how I got so much level, will be aligning tomorrow & swapping 295s for 35s this weekend possibly adding 1” rear spring spacer. Any other guys get more than 2” of level on these adjustable struts?
wow you almost gained 3", you might want to double check as it seems you install for a 3" lift rather than 2"
do you have the off road package?
Let me share my experience - I have a built to serve with off road package on 275/60/20.
After taking several measurements before the installation I felt I was really at 38.5 front and 40 back. With a 1.5 rake but I did give myself 1/4 of tolerance so I went into the installation with the mind set that I had a 1.75 rake just like you had before the installation. I wanted to keep some rake so I first did the install for 1" using 2 of the 8mm rings. After the 1st installation it seems I had gained 3/4 at best and was not happy enough with the look.
I re-did the installation after calling belltech's support team to make sure what I needed to add for a 1.5 lift since I felt it was not completely clear
for a 1.5 front lift I used
1 - 16 mm ring
1 - 8 mm ring
1 packer
Again after taking several measurements it seems I am level although some times I feel a little nose height. And in fact some times I have measure the front higher than the back by a 1/4 or so. I do not tow but do carry some heavy loads but not often. I like the look and decided to leave it as is. Down the road I will look into uca's
I am currently out of the country so I have yet to do an alignment. this is me
How do you like the ride so far?
20211220_093903.jpg

fireberd350

Reaction score
FYI - a vendor response last week to my 5100 order. they did a good job of laying out the challenges.
Currently Bilstein is experiencing a large amount of national backorders due to a shortage of raw materials and labor. Part of the reason for the delay is raw materials, steel is in short supply because much of the oxygen used in the forging process has been diverted to hospitals and steel production is still rather slow. Bilstein actually manufactures their pistons in Germany where they import most of the raw materials. Once that's been done they ship them via container ship to the United States to be finished in North Carolina or California. Due to a labor shortage much of the pistons are trickling in because there aren't enough workers at the ports to keep up with the number of ships coming in and even once they're unloaded there is a truck driver shortage in getting them from the ports to the factories to be finished and from the factories to either our warehouse or directly to you door if we drop ship it (which we usually try to do) As of right now we are waiting for stock from them.

Due to our relationship with Bilstein our customers are at the front of the line to get their products as soon as they are delivered to us and I know Bilstein is working as fast as possible to get those shocks built and out the door. I did check many 3rd party distribution centers for these shocks but unfortunately there are none available or I would already have them on the way to you. By keeping your order active you are holding your place in line and securing the price you paid for the shocks as I know there have been whispers of price increases from Bilstein and other manufacturers due to the rising cost of raw materials as a result of the shortages. Having said all that we are seeing orders come in and we are keeping customers in line for the shocks as they arrive. As of right now the official word is 1 to 2 months but, while I cannot promise this, I know that we are seeing parts starting to come in so it is possible that it may not be that long. I know on Tuesday we got a large shipment of backordered shocks, and were able to fulfill about 40 orders.

Winchester

Reaction score
I put the B8 5100s on all four corners of my 2019 Sport. It brought the front up a bit, but not as much as I hoped. I have them on the highest setting. Any suggestions for getting a little more height? Also, the rear springs seem pretty soft. Put a quad in the back, or a trailer on, and she really squats.
PXL_20211009_202605939.jpg

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all.. any one have ORP Springs.. 5100’s set at clip 5 up front and 1 inch rear spring spacer installed?… Rebel or ORP.. Please post pictures!
Any comments on the ride quality?.. How she look?.. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

397STROKER

Reaction score
Hey all.. any one have ORP Springs.. 5100’s set at clip 5 up front and 1 inch rear spring spacer installed?… Rebel or ORP.. Please post pictures!
Any comments on the ride quality?.. How she look?.. Thanks

I have read of many people doing this. You should be able to get some pictures. I chose to use setting 4 and 1/2" top-hat spacer to get 3 inches as I read a number of people saying the ride was pretty rough on 5.

Kwalker88

Reaction score
wow you almost gained 3", you might want to double check as it seems you install for a 3" lift rather than 2"
do you have the off road package?
Let me share my experience - I have a built to serve with off road package on 275/60/20.
After taking several measurements before the installation I felt I was really at 38.5 front and 40 back. With a 1.5 rake but I did give myself 1/4 of tolerance so I went into the installation with the mind set that I had a 1.75 rake just like you had before the installation. I wanted to keep some rake so I first did the install for 1" using 2 of the 8mm rings. After the 1st installation it seems I had gained 3/4 at best and was not happy enough with the look.
I re-did the installation after calling belltech's support team to make sure what I needed to add for a 1.5 lift since I felt it was not completely clear
for a 1.5 front lift I used
1 - 16 mm ring
1 - 8 mm ring
1 packer
Again after taking several measurements it seems I am level although some times I feel a little nose height. And in fact some times I have measure the front higher than the back by a 1/4 or so. I do not tow but do carry some heavy loads but not often. I like the look and decided to leave it as is. Down the road I will look into uca's
I am currently out of the country so I have yet to do an alignment. this is me
How do you like the ride so far?
View attachment 117585
Well my leveling kit settled after about 10 miles and I sit completely level now. The ride is ok it definitely feels like a truck now and that is what I’m used too! The factory ride is so smooth I felt like I was in a Chrysler 300 so it is a big difference but I can’t complain. For the price I would do it again.

Ibanez540r

Reaction score
Has anyone used the rear Bilstein 1" SPRINGS? (Bilstein 53-297839)

I'm waiting on the front 5100s, already have the rears, will probably run #5 on the front, and want to keep a little bit of rake. Was considering getting the ORG rear springs for an additional 1", then was thinking of just doing a 1" spacer, now came across the Bilstein springs and am curious if anyone has any experience with ride quality compared to the other options and if they are a true 1".

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm waiting on the front 5100s, already have the rears, will probably run #5 on the front, and want to keep a little bit of rake. Was considering getting the ORG rear springs for an additional 1", then was thinking of just doing a 1" spacer, now came across the Bilstein springs and am curious if anyone has any experience with ride quality compared to the other options and if they are a true 1".

From what I understand (and I’m NOT running 5100’s in the rear)…they DO NOT provide a 1” lift but can accommodate up to a 1” lift. I’m open to being corrected though

Ibanez540r

Reaction score
From what I understand (and I’m NOT running 5100’s in the rear)…they DO NOT provide a 1” lift but can accommodate up to a 1” lift. I’m open to being corrected though

Not to be a d***, but I specifically capitalized SPRINGS and provided a part number so no one would confuse and think I was talking about the rear shocks and think I didn't already know this, lol.

But, yes you are correct. Bilstein 5100 rear SHOCKS do not provide any lift whatsoever, but can accommodate up to 1" lift with a longer spring or spacer. However, the part I provided are Bilstein SPRINGS that provide that 1" lift to add to the shocks.

Saddlerocker

Reaction score

I would like to hear some feedback too.
I cant help with the ride, but I have a set in my garage and dont think I am going to use them.
Just going to level now I think and install the 5100's front and rear.
For the money I would grab ORG springs for $50 I think. I bought my B12 springs before I knew ORG were available so cheap.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to be a d***, but I specifically capitalized SPRINGS and provided a part number so no one would confuse and think I was talking about the rear shocks and think I didn't already know this, lol.

But, yes you are correct. Bilstein 5100 rear SHOCKS do not provide any lift whatsoever, but can accommodate up to 1" lift with a longer spring or spacer. However, the part I provided are Bilstein SPRINGS that provide that 1" lift to add to the shocks.

Lol yeah my bad, I just assumed you were talking about the 5100’s because of the thread and it’s been a pretty common question on here

Kone

Reaction score
Hopefully easy questions that can be answered quickly here... for an old guy driven 1500 crew is the Bilstein 5100 adjustable the generally advised, accepted, easiest, whatever, way to just level out the oem lean some yet keep ride nice? Assuming so, what setting are folks using most and are these shocks ever available? Thanks!

397STROKER

Reaction score

I have them on my truck but I got 1.5" of lift. The rear 5100 shocks are good for up to 2" on a stock truck and 1" over a ORG truck. they seem fine to me. I believe the rear ORP springs may have gone up in price. Eibach has 1" for $175. I know the ORP spring that are listed for my truck are over a $100 a spring. Now I got front ones for $19 a spring + shipping so I think I paid $56 for the ORP springs.

Users who are viewing this thread