5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

U

User_21361

Did you do the wheels and tires at the same time? You drive a rebel or different model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a Rebel. The suspension was done in isolation. Put about 6k on before and 6k on after. I only notice small differences, but she can feel significantly more stiffness (which makes sense given how the level is achieved) during our drives.

She is very sensitive to these things and used to riding in more luxury SUVs. She liked/tolerated the stock ride but has been disappointed with the new setup. I love the look but I am considering how to get a better ride.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Rebel. The suspension was done in isolation. Put about 6k on before and 6k on after. I only notice small differences, but she can feel significantly more stiffness (which makes sense given how the level is achieved) during our drives.

She is very sensitive to these things and used to riding in more luxury SUVs. She liked/tolerated the stock ride but has been disappointed with the new setup. I love the look but I am considering how to get a better ride.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have a big horn. Makes me wonder if the rebel rides a little tougher to begin with. I just put on rebel tires and noticed a stiffer ride. Not necessarily worse but more glued to the road. I’m expecting the same to a better ride once the 5100s get put on just based on the reviews here.

Ram definitely put the right tires on these trucks in the factory to make the ride feel as smooth as possible.

I came from a ‘15 Sierra and that thing was bone jarring at times.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the guys that installed Bilsteins on the ORP: Do you know your rake prior to install? My ORP’s rake is 1.5 now. The diagram someone posted previously shows I should go with #3 or #4 depending how I want the truck to ride.
It seems with the ORP bilsteins at #5 level the truck, if you carry things in your bed frequently you may be nose high. #4 retains about a 1/2” of rake. I will eventually go with #4 as I don’t want my truck nose high if I load the bed with anything with some weight to it.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, I seem to be a bit of the odd man out. I have a Laramie ORP - crew cab short box. I have Rambox and a Retrax Pro MX cover and when I set to #5, my truck was nose high by 1/4” with an otherwise empty bed. I adjusted down to #4, and now 1/4” rear high... perfect for me. Also, I’d mention the truck rides better in #4 than #5... it was immediately obvious when I got in the vehicle.

Thankfully, I did the install on my own. You get better each time, and moving from #5 to #4 took under 2hrs.

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Just installed my 5100's today, did the front and rears and went ahead and did the Mopar 2" lift kit UCA's for piece of mind (and for the price, why not). Went with setting #5 on the struts and the truck is dead nuts level (I have the ORP). Front end sits about as high as my dad's '16 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 now. Love the way the truck rides, and I feel like the Hellwig sway bar is even more effective.

View attachment 65430

View attachment 65431
Looks great! No problems with the overall combo still (bilstein w/2”)?

Truckguy

Reaction score
I didn’t install the full 2” MOPAR kit, just the UCA’s from the kit. Rear is still stock ORG height and the front is leveled.
Any chance if you get the time you could measure from top of wheel or some spot on the wheel to bottom of fender and tell me the readings of front and back? If you don’t have time no worries. Trying to plan my lift/level for when my 5100’s get shipped

Bobbybob

Reaction score
I didn’t install the full 2” MOPAR kit, just the UCA’s from the kit. Rear is still stock ORG height and the front is leveled.
I thought with the 5100s the stock UCAs would still be good. Any specific reason why you swapped that out too?

knightro84

Reaction score
I thought with the 5100s the stock UCAs would still be good. Any specific reason why you swapped that out too?

No real “good“ reason other than they were cheap ($130 for the pair) and took maybe 5-10 more minutes of work on each side to swap out after I had the struts out. I have the ORG and set the 5100’s to ring #5 so I think that is 3.1” higher in the front than a stock non-ORG truck. I consider $130 pretty cheap peace of mind.

knightro84

Reaction score
Any chance if you get the time you could measure from top of wheel or some spot on the wheel to bottom of fender and tell me the readings of front and back? If you don’t have time no worries. Trying to plan my lift/level for when my 5100’s get shipped

I can do that tonight and will edit this post with the results. Before I put the new tires on it was 39.5” from ground to bottom of fender for both F&R. I’ll measure top of tire to bottom of fender for you.

EDIT: top of tire to bottom of fender is 8.5" front and rear

Last edited:

Truckguy

Reaction score
I can do that tonight and will edit this post with the results. Before I put the new tires on it was 39.5” from ground to bottom of fender for both F&R. I’ll measure top of tire to bottom of fender for you.

EDIT: top of tire to bottom of fender is 8.5" front and rear
Thank you. I have a non-oRG so I’m debating on going with ORG springs and doing the 5100 @ 5th setting just as you have. Truck looks great by the way

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. I have a non-oRG so I’m debating on going with ORG springs and doing the 5100 @ 5th setting just as you have. Truck looks great by the way

Have mine in the shop right now. Picking it up later. Non ORP, doing setting 5. I’ll post an updated pic when I pick it up

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are 7 circlip settings on the adjustable 5100s. The max setting with ORP springs is #5 but non-ORP springs can be set up to the max (#7).

I have seen a couple of confirmations that circlip setting #5 with ORP (ORP springs front and rear) is level. I'm not sure which setting would be level for the non-ORP.

Attachments

• Bilstein 5100 B8 Installation Instructions.pdf
    287.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

jburden59

Reaction score
My stock 2020 Laramie crew is 38" from ground to top of wheel well in the back and 36" in the front. Bilstein setting #5 says it gives 1.7" of lift for non-orp so he should still get a 1/4" of rake after install......if he confirms this I'm in for the 5100's.....

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got her back. #5 turned out to be exactly what I wanted. Ride is excellent. Firmer but not stiffer - if that makes sense. Corners excellent. Roll and squish is almost completely gone. I didn’t measure yet but i will when I get home later

Before and after

fef28a8c76bc781163ca0b12766320c0.jpg

9e0d8070e3847b448868b4593f9fee5e.jpg

sergetexan

Reaction score
Did
Got her back. #5 turned out to be exactly what I wanted. Ride is excellent. Firmer but not stiffer - if that makes sense. Corners excellent. Roll and squish is almost completely gone. I didn’t measure yet but i will when I get home later

Before and after

fef28a8c76bc781163ca0b12766320c0.jpg

9e0d8070e3847b448868b4593f9fee5e.jpg

Did u keep the stock UCA’s

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did

Did u keep the stock UCA’s

I did. Angles were good. And everything I’ve read through this thread seems to say the same thing unless you’re going over 2.5”. And I don’t do any off roading etc.

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
After 1200 Miles with the 5100's/5160's and my RL 3.5" kit w/o preload, the added firmness from the Bilsteins is actually gone. Really at about 1000 miles the shocks seemed to break in, & I think they feel pretty close to stock now, with the only variance being the F-Load Ridge grapplers. I honestly liked the firmness better as there was zero roll and the truck stayed much more planted thru corners.. I now definitely think I need the Hellwig Sway bar as there is more body roll that there was after original install.

Users who are viewing this thread