5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After 1200 Miles with the 5100's/5160's and my RL 3.5" kit w/o preload, the added firmness from the Bilsteins is actually gone. Really at about 1000 miles the shocks seemed to break in, & I think they feel pretty close to stock now, with the only variance being the F-Load Ridge grapplers. I honestly liked the firmness better as there was zero roll and the truck stayed much more planted thru corners.. I now definitely think I need the Hellwig Sway bar as there is more body roll that there was after original install.

What did you notice the most after you did the 5160s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
Got her back. #5 turned out to be exactly what I wanted. Ride is excellent. Firmer but not stiffer - if that makes sense. Corners excellent. Roll and squish is almost completely gone. I didn’t measure yet but i will when I get home later

Before and after

fef28a8c76bc781163ca0b12766320c0.jpg

9e0d8070e3847b448868b4593f9fee5e.jpg

That's basically how my truck felt for the 1st 1000 miles after the change.....

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
What did you notice the most after you did the 5160s?

Everything I noticed is honestly gone and the truck feels pretty stock. When I first swapped shocks/struts...all side to side bounce was gone when u hit a bump or hole with one wheel. Truck stayed level through corners, felt planted... Truck would dip to one side then recover as opposed to the side to side resonating bounce when stock....thats all basically back now. Still handles compressions better but ride is factory bouncy again. Only thing I feel now daily driving is the Tires. This is all quite unexpected....Running combolift with 5100's @ setting #4.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything I noticed is honestly gone and the truck feels pretty stock. When I first swapped shocks/struts...all side to side bounce was gone when u hit a bump or hole with one wheel. Truck stayed level through corners, felt planted... Truck would dip to one side then recover as opposed to the side to side resonating bounce when stock....thats all basically back now. Still handles compressions better but ride is factory bouncy again. Only thing I feel now daily driving is the Tires. This is all quite unexpected....Running combolift with 5100's @ setting #4.

That side to side bounce does drive me a little nuts. It came back even with the new reads? That’s disheartening

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
That side to side bounce does drive me a little nuts. It came back even with the new reads? That’s disheartening

If I had to rate it, 0 being stock vs 100 being Feel after install....I'd Say 20-30ish... Still love it, as I have no issues with the feel/performance of my truck with the ReadyLift 3.5" SST kit. Almost tempted to try #5 but if I go nose high I'd be pissed. LOL. Down the Road I may go with the 3" Fox 2.5 Coilovers with a .5 inch spacer on top up front. DSC compression adjusters would give me the ability to tune them to the feel im looking for... shouldn't be difficult as the Fox 2.5 Resi have less adjustment than my fox stuff on all my MTB's

Last edited:

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I had to rate it, 0 being stock vs 100 being Feel after install....I'd Say 30ish... Still love it, as I have no issues with the feel/performance of my truck with the ReadyLift 3.5" SST kit.

Ok not horrendous. Even the stock was better than my ‘15 Sierra. That thing would damn near jump off the road

ArtieD

Reaction score
I posted that in the wrong thread haha I am looking into the bilstein 1500's in the front and maybe something adjustable in the rear. Still deciding if I want to level or not.
I dont think you will be sorry if u Did. I did a spacer 2 " front 1 1/2" rear kept some rake The ride is the same smooth as butter Glad I did it, I can't vouch for the Bilsteins but I am sure its the same maybe a little firmer I think better than preload spacer , no off road yet , just want to get bigger tires in Future but happy with the turn out and the way it rides

QuoteReply

BigAdge

Reaction score
I read through a ton on here, and I think I have what I need, but would like to double check, as most of you on here seem way more educated on levels/lifts than I am...
1.I have an ORP Bighorn (Built to Serve). Doing a mopar fox 2" lift kit will only get me an additional inch, so I'm not sure the investment is worth it since the ORP has upgraded springs from stock Non ORP correct?
2. Bilstein 5100s at setting 4/5 will give me a nice level and allow for 34" tires, and general concensus is that the Bilstein 5100 will be a better ride than adding in Readylift 2" spacers to the front?
Thank you all in advance, this will be my first level/lift ever and I want to keep the ride as smooth as possible as I'm 90% highway but use my truck during hunting season with some off road use.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read through a ton on here, and I think I have what I need, but would like to double check, as most of you on here seem way more educated on levels/lifts than I am...
1.I have an ORP Bighorn (Built to Serve). Doing a mopar fox 2" lift kit will only get me an additional inch, so I'm not sure the investment is worth it since the ORP has upgraded springs from stock Non ORP correct?
2. Bilstein 5100s at setting 4/5 will give me a nice level and allow for 34" tires, and general concensus is that the Bilstein 5100 will be a better ride than adding in Readylift 2" spacers to the front?
Thank you all in advance, this will be my first level/lift ever and I want to keep the ride as smooth as possible as I'm 90% highway but use my truck during hunting season with some off road use.
The Mopar kit will net you 2” front and back, even with the ORP. You will just maintain 1.5” or so of rake.

BigAdge

Reaction score
The Mopar kit will net you 2” front and back, even with the ORP. You will just maintain 1.5” or so of rake.
Are you sure? Most of what I'm seeing says otherwise since the ofp lift comes from the springs?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure? Most of what I'm seeing says otherwise since the ofp lift comes from the springs?
Positive. The offroad package lift does come from the springs in the front and back. The Mopar lift uses the springs that come on the truck. In the rear it uses a 2" spacer to add the lift. In the front the lift is achieved by the new Fox shocks that have a higher spring perch.

CJR28

Reaction score
Does anyone with the ORP springs have their 5100s set on level 3? And those who have it set on level 4, how much rake have you retained?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it might vary a little between trucks since each truck has it's own weight (engine, option packages). I've read of people reporting the truck level at setting 5 and I've read of people reporting level at setting 4. I've also read of someone posting they had 1/2" rake at setting 4.

spiG

Reaction score
Was thinking about the bilstein 5100 up front with mopar 2" UCA's. Feel like it would be a good stock ride till i purchase the 4" BDS kit.

BigAdge

Reaction score
Another question for ORP people, any pics of setting 3/4/5 in looking to retain a little rake and have 33-34" tires put on the BTS rims

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m kind of the odd man out, as I have about 1/4” rake on setting #4 with my ORP with rambox. I think most are level at #5, but that wasn’t my experience.

I haven’t yet seen someone go with #3 on an ORP truck. I tried both #5 and then #5, but don’t have any comparison pics.

Users who are viewing this thread