5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rear spacers are these right here. And using the spring compressors that I used up front what I did was crank one wheel way up, then install the compressors and unbolted lower shock mount and stabilizer bar link and lowered almost to the ground. Spring came right out and puck plopped right in.

View attachment 50736 View attachment 50737 View attachment 50738
Looks like you still kept some rake with this set up with that rear spacer. Looks good. Do you think setting it at 5 in the front with no spacer in the rear would look perfectly level, or a little nose high?

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Looks like you still kept some rake with this set up with that rear spacer. Looks good. Do you think setting it at 5 in the front with no spacer in the rear would look perfectly level, or a little nose high?
That can vary due to equipment difference between trucks. In my case position 5 resulted in the front being a half inch lower than the rear. Although you would think it is perfectly level just by looking

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Word to the wise, make sure you have a pass-thru socket set before starting this project. Otherwise, you might end up at midnight like I am with this current situation...
a57737b1e9792b783f1542590abd31a2.jpg

cory1223oh

Reaction score
Word to the wise, make sure you have a pass-thru socket set before starting this project. Otherwise, you might end up at midnight like I am with this current situation...
Happened to me too. You need an 18mm pow’s through socket and a 6 point 8mm deep well socket to hold the shaft.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Agreed. I’ve made it my whole life without ever needing a pass through socket set. Until this job came up. I’ll probably never use them again so I bought a set from Harbor Freight. Luckily I read about needing them beforehand

Z mann R2

Reaction score

I know exactly how it will look because I drove it like that for a day before i did the rear and the rear was .5” higher....so now the rear is 2” higher with the rear spacer

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know exactly how it will look because I drove it like that for a day before i did the rear and the rear was .5” higher....so now the rear is 2” higher with the rear spacer
great to hear, thanks. think i'm going to do the front at level 5 and keep the rear stock. hate how nose high trucks look lol

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did any of you guys alter alignment while you installed? I know I’m going to need to head to a shop for alignment, but don’t want it to be terrible while I’m letting the springs seat. Considering bumping the LCA inward a bit... but if you guys left alignment the same and didn’t have any issues until bringing it to the shop I’ll just leave it.

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Happened to me too. You need an 18mm pow’s through socket and a 6 point 8mm deep well socket to hold the shaft.
A 1/4” deep socket passes right through a larger regular socket.....i then used vice grips to hold the larger socket and my impact to drive out the nut using the smaller socket

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got them on and went for a really quick drive. They’re noticeably stiffer now, which I think can be expected. I’ll need to play with tire pressures a bit more now as I’m running them pretty high. I’m sure I’ll get used the stiffer ride, but it’s certainly not as plush as before. Not sure if it will soften a bit with time?

Looks good and I’ll appreciate the added clearance for sure. I’m not sure how long it takes to settle into place, but it’s pretty close to level from a quick eyeball. I’ll put a couple more miles on and take some measurements later.

Time to get some work in now!
9e386946470e6d7545e84ed62c1f47e5.jpg
0740a49d6bc2cb8a852231a54cd13d13.jpg

Last edited:

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Got them on and went for a really quick drive. They’re noticeably stiffer now, which I think can be expected. I’ll need to play with tire pressures a bit more now as I’m running them pretty high. I’m sure I’ll get used the stiffer ride, but it’s certainly not as plush as before. Not sure if it will soften a bit with time?

Looks good and I’ll appreciate the added clearance for sure. I’m not sure how long it takes to settle into place, but it’s pretty close to level from a quick eyeball. I’ll put a couple more miles on and take some measurements later.

Time to get some work in now!
9e386946470e6d7545e84ed62c1f47e5.jpg
0740a49d6bc2cb8a852231a54cd13d13.jpg
Man a 1” spacer would really do wonders in the back. But otherwise looks pretty awesome
Bro!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man a 1” spacer would really do wonders in the back. But otherwise looks pretty awesome
Bro!

I’m going to be limited in garage door clearance. If I end up finding the front settles higher than the back, I’ll go down to #4. My guess is the biggest I’d ever run is 34” tires in the future.

Curious how many miles before your suspension settled. I just scheduled an alignment for tomorrow afternoon, want to make sure I get it stabilized before going thru that.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I’m going to be limited in garage door clearance. If I end up finding the front settles higher than the back, I’ll go down to #4. My guess is the biggest I’d ever run is 34” tires in the future.

Curious how many miles before your suspension settled. I just scheduled an alignment for tomorrow afternoon, want to make sure I get it stabilized before going thru that.
When I lowered mine onto the garage floor the first time my front measured 24” from center of hub to bottom of fender flare. I drove it a couple miles and it measured 23.5”. The next day I drove to my farm and back. That is a 70 mile round trip, and it measured 23” . It has stayed at 23”. Not saying it took 70 miles to settle, that’s just how far I drove.
Keep in mind my truck has the factory fender flares and that changes the measurement a little.

James8563

Reaction score
Lots of people have installed them on rebels. I just ordered mine today
Do you think they are just rolling the dice though and seeing how they work out with the new gen rams ? I really like there shocks but don’t want to put them unless they are direct fitted for the new gen

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you think they are just rolling the dice though and seeing how they work out with the new gen rams ? I really like there shocks but don’t want to put them unless they are direct fitted for the new gen
I suspect it's some type of contractual issue with FCA since the rebel's come with Bilsteins. They have to know they fit and it's not an issue with control arms considering they don't have an issue putting them ORP ram(limiting to #5 setting). Just my 2 cents for whatever it's worth

James8563

Reaction score
I suspect it's some type of contractual issue with FCA since the rebel's come with Bilsteins. They have to know they fit and it's not an issue with control arms considering they don't have an issue putting them ORP ram(limiting to #5 setting). Just my 2 cents for whatever it's worth
I appreciate it, I’m debating whether to put those or the Falcons . Big price change

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate it, I’m debating whether to put those or the Falcons . Big price change

I just put them on my 2020 Ram Laramie with ORP, which has the same suspension setup as Rebel, from my understanding. We’re both using longer coil springs which result in 1” lift on all 4 corners as compared to the non-Rebel or non-ORP coil suspension Rams.

I ended up ordering from bilsteinlifts.com for $399 for all 4 shocks, delivered.

You’ll find the Bilsteins listed as capable for 2019 Ram, but not yet for 2020... however, they’re identical.

Users who are viewing this thread