5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
So some people have bought the ORP front springs to achieve 1" of lift or to get a max of 3" at setting 5. The ORP spring is, according to a member who measured then, 7/8" longer than stock, thus the spring in is getting compressed 7/8" more than a non ORP in every setting up to their max setting of 5. If I go to max setting 7 with NON ORP springs, is that spring getting compressed more or less than 7/8 of an inch, and yes I understand I wont get a full 3". Simpler way of asking is how far apart is each ring setting on the Bilstein and whats total distance from 1 to 7?

MarkB67

Reaction score
You are correct sir. I spoke to bilstein techs today and with the off road package we would have 3 inches of lift over standard non off road ram. They also said that this set up is designed to work with the stock upper control arms so no need to replace them. I ordered my set today now just debating weather to get uppers or not. Either from the mopar lift kit or a set from mevotech. Probably do a 1 inch spacer on the rear springs. Also the 5100 rear shocks should be available within next 2 months.
I don’t think Mevotech offers uca’s for the 5th gen do they ?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to admit that I didnt take any measurements for my rear 5100s when installing, but I noticed my stock ORP rear shocks do not fit inside my Bilstein boxes, they’re actually a fair bit longer. The Billy’s did have a tie strap holding pressure on the shock, so not sure how far they expanded out once I cut that strap off. Curious if anyone has put a measurement to this.

Hail rebel

Reaction score
This ^^^^^ the only difference is the Rebel already has Bilstein’s so the adapter is not needed.....there’s zero reason to wait.....I did everything myself, it’s all spot on perfect
Hi Z, fellow rebel owner here, not sure whether I missed in this 43 page thread but making sure whether you are running the stock UCA's on your rebel, any reason to upgrade as i wanted to avoid future headaches ?? The 5100 worked on my 4th gen without UCA but I would like to confirm this time around.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After putting my Retrax tonneau cover on, ive decided to drop down to #4 position. My front is about 1/4” higher than rear now on my Laramie ORP with Rambox.

Hopefully I can get it done in the next week or so

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Z, fellow rebel owner here, not sure whether I missed in this 43 page thread but making sure whether you are running the stock UCA's on your rebel, any reason to upgrade as i wanted to avoid future headaches ?? The 5100 worked on my 4th gen without UCA but I would like to confirm this time around.
You shouldn’t need new UCAs, no one here with rebels replaced them from what I’ve seen. I’m adding 5100s this week on my rebel and keeping the stock UCAs. I’ll let you know if there’s any issues but I don’t expect any at all

Hail rebel

Reaction score
You shouldn’t need new UCAs, no one here with rebels replaced them from what I’ve seen. I’m adding 5100s this week on my rebel and keeping the stock UCAs. I’ll let you know if there’s any issues but I don’t expect any at all
Thanks alot for getting back to me ! I am Planning to swap soon as well, looking forward to hear back and make sure you post some pictures - good luck ! - cheers !!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks alot for getting back to me ! I am Planning to swap soon as well, looking forward to hear back and make sure you post some pictures - good luck ! - cheers !!

Regarding the discussion on need for new UCA, I honestly doubt anyone here has enough miles on their truck to confirm this yet. I assembled my 2” lift (plus ORP, so 3” over normal factory) with the existing UCA. Things look okay at normal position, but full droop looks tight. I can’t say for sure if the ball has extra travel available or not. Some high speed off-roading where you’re hitting full droop could cause ball joint damage that won’t be encountered under normal driving cases. That could happen pretty quickly off-road if we’re at the ball limits right now.

The other thing to consider is the rubber boot. As that angle increases, the boot has to stretch on one side and compress more on the other than it would normally. In my experience on my lifted Tacoma with nearly 190k miles, I’d blow through boots and/or joints in around 50k miles. I’d expect a non-lifted Tacoma would have lasted far longer.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went thru round #2 tonight, as I’ve found #5 position settled 1/2” high on my ORP Crew Cab with Rambox and tonneau cover. Just dropped it to #4 and I’m back to level after a short drive.

You get better after some experience. This time took 2.5hrs to rebuild to #4. I tried to get fancy with the spring compressors on the truck by raising and lowering only one side after removing the sway bar, but there wasn’t enough travel to take the spring load off of the spring clip.
19140d3f1311c2491ee2a4062f6285e1.jpg

Had to do it the old fashioned way
fad698e26949dd0d7e7f5b98fe3dbd16.jpg

Also, for anyone curious, I did confirm today with Bilstein that you can add a 1” rear spacer to a ORP or Rebel with the rear 5100s. That would be the limit, however.

Last edited:

MarkB67

Reaction score
Went thru round #2 tonight, as I’ve found #5 position settled 1/2” high on my ORP Crew Cab with Rambox and tonneau cover. Just dropped it to #4 and I’m back to level after a short drive.

You get better after some experience. This time took 2.5hrs to rebuild to #4. I tried to get fancy with the spring compressors on the truck by raising and lowering only one side after removing the sway bar, but there wasn’t enough travel to take the spring load off of the spring clip.

Also, for anyone curious, I did confirm today with Bilstein that you can add a 1” rear spacer to a ORP or Rebel with the rear 5100s. That would be the limit, however.

mine was the same way , got around 2-1/2” on #6

Attachments

• EF7582EB-E7A3-4E50-B1F8-9E04C41901F9.jpeg
    EF7582EB-E7A3-4E50-B1F8-9E04C41901F9.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 8ED0723D-1F25-4469-828F-2C7CDFC48F28.jpeg
    8ED0723D-1F25-4469-828F-2C7CDFC48F28.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 276

apexodus

Reaction score
For fellow Rebel owners, does it look right on my truck to have the aluminum adapter beneath the spring seat? Got 5100s installed today on the 4th ring to keep a small amount of rake, but I’m exactly level. Based on a prior response in the thread I’m worried that the aluminum adapter isn’t needed and actually raising me higher than I should be on the 4th ring. View attachment 53022
View attachment 53023

Just to follow up on this for any future Rebel owners going through this process, no the adapter should not be used under the spring seat. I went through this exact situation. The Rebel comes with Bilsteins from the factory, and the stock shock uses the same snap ring that the 5100s use. The Rebel spring seat sits directly on the snap ring without the adapter. At setting #5 you should have .5" of rake. Here is the thread with some more details, specifically post #10.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/how-to-verify-bilstein-5100-setting.20491/

Last edited:

deanno33

Reaction score
I've read through this entire thread. Was hoping to find a pic of someone using #4 on a non ORP truck. Trying to decide between #5 and #4. Looking to reduce rake but not be level. Tires will be 275x60/20. Fuel Tech wheels with +1 offset.

After 5100s are installed, can you get an alignment right away or should you drive and let things settle before the alignment?

Anyone know a good shop to install in Green Bay!!

Users who are viewing this thread