5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tuner for 2019 Ram 1500

Joker4L

Reaction score
I sense the biggest difference people with this tuner is the simple increase in throttle body speed. There’s not a lot of tuning you can do to a non supercharged or turbo engine these days especially when your talking running 87. Placebo effect do to throttle is all your feeling. Pedal commander/ Sprint Booster and others will basically do what your feeling. Unless you need to change tire sizes etc that’s really all your getting different to play with.

I do not think it's that simple bud. I know they adjusted the throttle response but the feeling of the truck consistently pulling throughout the RPM range when it didn't can't be due to an adjustment to the throttle sensitivity. I can be doing 40 in gear 6-8 and it will instantly downshift to the appropriate gear and pull hard throughout the RPM range.

It may not add a bunch of WHP /WTQ but I am a firm believer it fixes the power curve. It actually feels like a hemi truck now. but hey to each their own.

Joker4L

Reaction score
That's why I will be getting it I want to be able to change my tire size, and was looking at the Pedal Commander. Would be easier to get one thing that can do both.

On performance mode, I promise you that a pedal commander will be overkill. The truck become very sensitive to throttle input on performance mode.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On performance mode, I promise you that a pedal commander will be overkill. The truck become very sensitive to throttle input on performance mode.
Yeah I've looked a lot at them. I'm going to pass on the Pedal Commander but the Pulsar will probably be my next purchase. I already have a lead foot, and always fail to think about my speedo being off. It's not uncommon for me to be doing 85+ mph, only for ot to hit me that I'm running closer to 95.

pguerrero693

Reaction score
You have a clip by any chance of the “surging?” Really considering this buy.

Joker4L

Reaction score
You have a clip by any chance of the “surging?” Really considering this buy.

There is no Surging.. As I stated before, IDK who came up with the description of surging because that's not what I would call it.

If you put it in any of the programming that says MDS OFF, what will happen is when the car tries to shut off 4 cylinders the tuner will immediately slightly rev the engine so the truck doesn't shut off those 4 cylinders. You will see the rpms rise ever so slightly. I am almost willing to bet with a stock exhaust you won't even notice it. I was able to notice it with the Carven exhaust because of the small growl.

I originally purchased the pulstar for the MDS off feature but now I leave MDS on and leave it in TOW mode and I just low how the truck drives.

Last edited:

pguerrero693

Reaction score
There is no Surging.. As I stated before, IDK who came up with the description of surging because that's not what I would call it.

If you put it in any of the programming that says MDS OFF, what will happen is when the car tries to shut off 4 cylinders the tuner will immediately slightly rev the engine so the truck doesn't shut off those 4 cylinders. You will see the rpms rise ever so slightly. I am almost willing to bet with a stock exhaust you won't even notice it. I was able to notice it with the Carven exhaust because of the small growl.

I originally purchased the pulstar for the MDS off feature but now I leave MDS on and leave it in TOW mode and I just low how the truck drives.
Show us a clip if you don’t mind. I’m installing the carven soon and I’m ordering the pulsar too.

SMS Limited

Reaction score
let me know, I have the Carven
Show us a clip if you don’t mind. I’m installing the carven soon and I’m ordering the pulsar too.
let me know how that works. I have the Carven and am thinking about getting this Pulsar, I have the Etorque engine and i'm trying to see if the pulsar will work with that engine.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
let me know, I have the Carven

let me know how that works. I have the Carven and am thinking about getting this Pulsar, I have the Etorque engine and i'm trying to see if the pulsar will work with that engine.
I believe others here that have bought the Pulsar also have the etorque and didn't have any problems with it.

John

Reaction score
I have the Magnaflow cat back system and the Pulsar with my etorque and love the combination! I don't notice any change on the freeway going from 8 cylinder to 4. Throttle response is great even in economy mode! I see absolutely no need for the Pedal Commander. JMHO.

John

mhb1638

Reaction score
Any mpg improvements in economy tune? Wondering if this tune 'detunes' the truck for the mpg gain?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any mpg improvements in economy tune? Wondering if this tune 'detunes' the truck for the mpg gain?
My buddy is getting better mpg in economy mode but he thinks it's just a remap of the throttle curve. MDS/ECO is easier to keep on since it takes a lot of pedal movement to request more power. If you drive for max economy, it helps. Otherwise, it's not much fun.

ABNRGR

Reaction score
I purchased the PULSAR before I picked up my new RAM and installed it, in a Wal-Mart parking lot, as soon as I got off the lot. I had a 900 mile plus trip home from Dave Smith in Idaho to Northern CA. This is my 1st non GM truck so, I'm not familiar with past RAM tuners. I have used handheld tuners on all of my GM trucks. The PULSAR is very user friendly. The ability to switch between tunes on the fly, with the cruise control +/- buttons, is a great feature. Edge states that the ECU is not flashed and that the tunes remain in their sandwiched module. It took a little effort to adjust the tire size to the MPH. I have the off-raod package with 3.92 gears. I tried the tire manufactures specs and both the speedometer and MPG were off by 5%. I'm not sure if RAM uses the GPS for any calculations like some GM products do? I used a GPS app on my iPhone to adjust the speedometer in. After that the Speedometer and MPG displays are accurate. I'm now consistently spot on the MPH and within 0.5% MPG. I don't have any Dyno comparisons, only seat of the pants comparisons. My seat hasn't been calibrated in a few years but, I took my 2008 Corvette from 379rwhp to 681rwhp in 6 mods. The seat of my pants comparison is mostly off the line with throttle response. The biggest difference I felt was going to the Performance tune. The throttle was very sensitive and I found myself spinning the tires regularly even though it wasn't my intention. The downshifts were very agressive in Performance too. I've found the Economy tune more to my liking in traffic, it's much more smooth. The great thing is it's just a push on the Cruise Control +/- to transition through the tunes. No pulling to the side of the road, just push a steering wheel button regardless of what you're doing. Any gear, any throttle position, and you always know what tune you're in because it's displayed in the very upper/center console display. The edge site claims that they will be adding the ability to store custom tunes in the module. I can't speak for the other tuners available but, I can say I'm very satisfied with the PULSE. On the highway in Eco mode when that knucklehead wants to speed up, when I go to pass, it's 4 quick presses on the - cruise button and it's "See Ya". Once around that knucklehead it's 4 presses of the + and I'm cruising along again. One thing to remember IF THE CRUISE CONTROL IS SET YOU CAN"T ADJUST THE TUNE, just touch the brake or manually disengage the cruise control before adjusting the tune.

Last edited:

SMS Limited

Reaction score
I purchased the PULSAR before I picked up my new RAM and installed it, in a Wal-Mart parking lot, as soon as I got off the lot. I had a 900 mile plus trip home from Dave Smith in Idaho to Northern CA. This is my 1st non GM truck so, I'm not familiar with past RAM tuners. I have used handheld tuners on all of my GM trucks. The PULSAR is very user friendly. The ability to switch between tunes on the fly, with the cruise control +/- buttons, is a great feature. Edge states that the ECU is not flashed and that the tunes remain in their sandwiched module. It took a little effort to adjust the tire size to the MPH. I have the off-raod package with 3.92 gears. I tried the tire manufactures specs and both the speedometer and MPG were off by 5%. I'm not sure if RAM uses the GPS for any calculations like some GM products do? I used a GPS app on my iPhone to adjust the speedometer in. After that the Speedometer and MPG displays are accurate. I'm now consistently spot on the MPH and within 0.5% MPG. I don't have any Dyno comparisons, only seat of the pants comparisons. My seat hasn't been calibrated in a few years but, I took my 2008 Corvette from 379rwhp to 681rwhp in 6 mods. The seat of my pants comparison is mostly off the line with throttle response. The biggest difference I felt was going to the Performance tune. The throttle was very sensitive and I found myself spinning the tires regularly even though it wasn't my intention. The downshifts were very agressive in Performance too. I've found the Economy tune more to my liking in traffic, it's much more smooth. The great thing is it's just a push on the Cruise Control +/- to transition through the tunes. No pulling to the side of the road, just push a steering wheel button regardless of what you're doing. Any gear, any throttle position, and you always know what tune you're in because it's displayed in the very upper/center console display. The edge site claims that they will be adding the ability to store custom tunes in the module. I can't speak for the other tuners available but, I can say I'm very satisfied with the PULSE. On the highway in Eco mode when that knucklehead wants to speed up, when I go to pass, it's 4 quick presses on the - cruise button and it's "See Ya". Once around that knucklehead it's 4 presses of the + and I'm cruising along again. One this to remember IF THE CRUISE CONTROL IS SET YOU CAN"T ADJUST THE TUNE, just touch the brake or manually disengage the cruise control before adjusting the tune.
i ordered mine last week and was told it would be 2 days, still haven't received it. now they say another few days like they forgot to ship my order or something, cant wait to install and see how it pairs up with the Carven exhaust I have and the 33's I have on my stock 22" wheels.

Justin21771

Reaction score
I got my PULSAR today from Superchips; it shipped out on Thursday and I got it around noon on Saturday. I installed that and a Spectre air filter. Initial impression: Everyone should buy it, I love it and just with about 20 miles on it my MPG is increasing noticeably, I was averaging 14 and under around town and just the trip to the gas station had me over 16, I was not babying it at all and after filling up with 93 I was driving in performance mode.
I am welding in a Flowmaster on Tuesday to get a little more sound out of it. Will leave the resonators on for a week or so and if it is too quiet I will cut the rear resonators off.
Very impressed initially with the PULSAR

SMS Limited

Reaction score
I got my PULSAR today from Superchips; it shipped out on Thursday and I got it around noon on Saturday. I installed that and a Spectre air filter. Initial impression: Everyone should buy it, I love it and just with about 20 miles on it my MPG is increasing noticeably, I was averaging 14 and under around town and just the trip to the gas station had me over 16, I was not babying it at all and after filling up with 93 I was driving in performance mode.
I am welding in a Flowmaster on Tuesday to get a little more sound out of it. Will leave the resonators on for a week or so and if it is too quiet I will cut the rear resonators off.
Very impressed initially with the PULSAR
I agree. I love the pulsar so far, I have the spectre air filter and Carven cat back exhaust and some 33’s on 22’s. I think it transforms the truck and I actually like the economy with MDS off a lot. Check out my YouTube video on my initial thoughts

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. I love the pulsar so far, I have the spectre air filter and Carven cat back exhaust and some 33’s on 22’s. I think it transforms the truck and I actually like the economy with MDS off a lot. Check out my YouTube video on my initial thoughts

Glad to hear so much positive feedback. I will be buying one after the first of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread