5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Tires for (2022) Ram 1500 Limited w/Night Edition (mostly highway driving)

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been super happy with my PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS II XL. They are super quiet and great traction in rain and snow, plus they just look really good with the 22” wheels.
I had Pirelli's that came with my Grand Cherokee Limited X and LOVED them, excellent tire, but they were worn out after less than 38K miles. I read that they had come out with updated versions of them that would last longer so I picked some up from my local Mavis. What a nightmare.

I won't trouble you with the whole story (cause it's LONG) unless you really want me to but suffice it to say that it left a really bad taste in my mouth for Pirelli, and for third party tire vendors in general.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had Pirelli's that came with my Grand Cherokee Limited X and LOVED them, excellent tire, but they were worn out after less than 38K miles. I read that they had come out with updated versions of them that would last longer so I picked some up from my local Mavis. What a nightmare.

I won't trouble you with the whole story (cause it's LONG) unless you really want me to but suffice it to say that it left a really bad taste in my mouth for Pirelli, and for third party tire vendors in general.
Give us the "short" story.....

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Give us the "short" story.....
Felt vibration after Mavis put the new ones on. Went back and they said some of the weights "fell of" (which made me think they didn't put them on correctly in the first place), so they replaced them. Still had vibration. Figured I'd get a second opinion. Dealer said balancing was wrong, rebalanced them. Still had vibration.

Went back to dealer again, senior tech said that at least 2, possibly 3 of them were "out of round" (tire runout) and to go back to Mavis, so I did. Mavis told me to contact Pirelli. Pirelli said they don't deal with customers, call Mavis, so I did. They said there's "no possible way you got 4 bad tires, we'll give you two new ones." So they did. Still had vibration. So I finally just said screw it, got a whole new set of tires from the dealer (Goodyear Forte's haha). Vibration gone. All this over the course of about 2 months.

I should probably call Mavis back and tell them that switching out the tires for a new set stopped the vibration completely but I was just so burnt out dealing with it I didn't even care. So Pirelli somehow made 3 (or 4) out of round tires (or they were improperly stored for a long period of time, something Mavis insisted wouldn't happen with them, so it must have been at Pirelli's own distribution center), Mavis doesn't know how to balance tires, and the dealer took care of me well enough.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, what about 305/45's? At least one person mentioned them. They're a little wider right? Any tangible advantages there?

photog0611

Reaction score
Besides the poorer rain & snow performance of a wider tire, if you do any amount of driving on unpaved roads, any tire wide enough to extend outside the wheel well can damage your paint with thrown gravel. Particularly if you still have the cheapo stock mud flaps. A fixed running board can provide some protection from the rocks that will tend to get thrown up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
When was you last experience with Defenders???
On a borrowed Ridgeline 3 years ago. They were the LT M/S version. The vehicle understeered badly on a clover leaf onramp i regularly took Much faster in my 3/4 ton diesel with big ko/2, about put it into the guard rail. Weak sauce. I'm sure the new ones are an improvement if people like them because there wasn't anything to like about that version.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No real advantage…just look a bit better from behind. As a matter of fact, the wider tire can be a detriment in rain and snow.
Besides the poorer rain & snow performance of a wider tire, if you do any amount of driving on unpaved roads, any tire wide enough to extend outside the wheel well can damage your paint with thrown gravel. Particularly if you still have the cheapo stock mud flaps. A fixed running board can provide some protection from the rocks that will tend to get thrown up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Did not know these things. Thank you! So, sticking with 285/45 seems to be the way to go. Defenders highly respected. I've seen quite a few people that have/talk about Nitto Dura Grapplers, any thoughts on those?

TX_JDubya

Reaction score
I just replaced my tires with Firestone Destination AT2s. They had good reviews, great wear for on road and and a 55k warranty. If you want a mild AT for mostly on road I would highly recommend them. For reference I usually run Nitto Terra Grappler GPS and these are a better price point and better all around tire on anything but offload.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just replaced my tires with Firestone Destination AT2s. They had good reviews, great wear for on road and and a 55k warranty. If you want a mild AT for mostly on road I would highly recommend them. For reference I usually run Nitto Terra Grappler GPS and these are a better price point and better all around tire on anything but offload.

Yeah, I've read good things about Firestone Destinations. Also, Coopers seem to have a pretty good rep. Certain one are even more highly rated that (most) Michelin's, and they're less expensive.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

TX_JDubya

Reaction score
Cooper makes a good tire. I choose the Destinations because they have a better design and compound for more highway use. If you drive mostly highway I think the Destinations will give you better traction in the wet/snow.

My 2nd choice was the Conti Geolander AT. Tire rack has a great comparison of all of these. The Destinations were 1400 out the door in the stock dimensions. Keep in mind you will loose a bit of comfort moving to a mild at over the touring as they have a stiffer sidewall and harder compound.

Coming from a 3/4 mega cab with an LT rated all terrain tire and going to the a 5th gen 1500 with the air suspension...even the worst tire would ride like a cloud to me.

In my experience cooper's tend to not balance well and are more susceptible to wear patterns.

TX_JDubya

Reaction score
Cooper makes a good tire. I choose the Destinations because they have a better design and compound for more highway use. If you drive mostly highway I think the Destinations will give you better traction in the wet/snow.

My 2nd choice was the Conti Geolander AT. Tire rack has a great comparison of all of these. The Destinations were 1400 out the door in the stock dimensions. Keep in mind you will loose a bit of comfort moving to a mild at over the touring as they have a stiffer sidewall and harder compound.

Coming from a 3/4 mega cab with an LT rated all terrain tire and going to the a 5th gen 1500 with the air suspension...even the worst tire would ride like a cloud to me.

In my experience cooper's tend to not balance well and are more susceptible to wear patterns.

Here is the link to the comparison TR did on these...

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay, so here's my top 5 right now:

1. Michelin Defender LTX M/S - Clearly the best on-road/highway performance, but because it's so highway-focused, it suffers a bit in anything more than light snow, and in very rainy/wet/muddy situations.
2. Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S - Gives up some on-road/highway comfort and handling smoothness for a nice bump in off-road/snow/mud traction.
3. Firestone Destination AT2 - Comparable off-road/snow/mud capability with the AT3 4S (a little worse in snow), but seems to have slightly better on-road manners (though possibly a bit more road noise?)
4. Continental Terraincontact A/T - On-road performance more comparable to the Defender's, but seems to do a bit better in snow/mud conditions (not as good as the Cooper's or the Firestones, but again, a little better than those two on-road). I would put these higher on the list if it weren't for the Coopers and Firestones doing noticeably better in snow.
5. Kumho Crugen HT51 - Just started researching these. Basically, they seem to be really well rounded. Not as good on-road at the Defenders or Terraincontacts, but better for snow/mud. Not as good in snow/mud/off-road as the Firestones or Coopers, but slightly better on-road.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Okay, so here's my top 5 right now:

1. Michelin Defender LTX M/S - Clearly the best on-road/highway performance, but because it's so highway-focused, it suffers a bit in anything more than light snow, and in very rainy/wet/muddy situations.
2. Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S - Gives up some on-road/highway comfort and handling smoothness for a nice bump in off-road/snow/mud traction.
3. Firestone Destination AT2 - Comparable off-road/snow/mud capability with the AT3 4S (a little worse in snow), but seems to have slightly better on-road manners (though possibly a bit more road noise?)
4. Continental Terraincontact A/T - On-road performance more comparable to the Defender's, but seems to do a bit better in snow/mud conditions (not as good as the Cooper's or the Firestones, but again, a little better than those two on-road). I would put these higher on the list if it weren't for the Coopers and Firestones doing noticeably better in snow.
5. Kumho Crugen HT51 - Just started researching these. Basically, they seem to be really well rounded. Not as good on-road at the Defenders or Terraincontacts, but better for snow/mud. Not as good in snow/mud/off-road as the Firestones or Coopers, but slightly better on-road.
I would go with #1 or #4. I think those are your best options.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would go with #1 or #4. I think those are your best options.
I was leaning towards the Continentals because they are XL rated and from what I understand that makes towing close your max payload more comfortable (something I'll be doing occasionally).

However, this video is what then pushes me back towards the Coopers…

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just looked at the Geolander. That's near the top of my list now lol. Oy.

TX_JDubya

Reaction score
I was leaning towards the Continentals because they are XL rated and from what I understand that makes towing close your max payload more comfortable (something I'll be doing occasionally).

However, this video is what then pushes me back towards the Coopers…

FWIW...Firstone Destination AT2 are XL rated and are 3 peak mountain snowflake certified. I do not notice any noise at highway speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread