5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Tires for (2022) Ram 1500 Limited w/Night Edition (mostly highway driving)

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. I've read reviews on the tires that come with my truck (Goodyear Eagle Touring 285/45/R22) and they are...not reassuring. The two main issues seem to be that their traction in snowy conditions is subpar and that they wear out extremely quickly, with many reviews stating they couldn't even get them to 30k miles.

I am considering just switching them out right away, so that I have some nice, solid, high quality tires to go with my nice, solid, high quality truck. What does everyone recommend? I've looked at Michelin Defenders, Cooper Discoverers, Bridgestone Duelers, and a few others. Again, mostly highway driving, very light off-roading. Thanks!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You cannot buy a better tire for mostly highway than the Michelin Defenders. They are top rated and have the best wet and dry traction. Highly recommend and looking at others is just a waste of time unless you can't afford Michelins.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Michelin Defenders!

I swapped the cheapo Nexans on my 2021 Ram two weeks ago to Michelin’s Defenders. I took it to Discount Tire with a mere 300 miles on it where they gave me $300 trade value and the out the door cost on a new set of Michelin’s was only $591 including tax with another $30 off in the form of a rebate since I used my Discount Tire card.

Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys! On the Defenders, I noticed there are the 22-inch wheel "standard" 285/45/R22's, but there's also a 275/50/R22 version. I've seen people express concern over how little sidewall the 45's have, so I was wondering if the 50's are better (and fit properly)...?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys! On the Defenders, I noticed there are the 22-inch wheel "standard" 285/45/R22's, but there's also a 275/50/R22 version. I've seen people express concern over how little sidewall the 45's have, so I was wondering if the 50's are better (and fit properly)...?
I’m sorry but I can’t help you on 22’s as I’m old and my back could handle the ride of 22’s…no experience with them but I can tell you Michelin 18s and 20s ride smooth. Am on my 4th set in my lifetime and won’t trust my life to anything else but Michelin.

Dr. Cheeseburger

Reaction score

I wouldn't go down to a 275 width tire - too skinny. I have 305/45/R22 and the width looks perfect

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't go down to a 275 width tire - too skinny. I have 305/45/R22 and the width looks perfect

Gotcha. Generally only A/T tires (like yours) go over 285 though right?

edit: I was wrong, Defenders have a 305/40/R22 size, but that seems like way too little sidewall and would lead to a rougher rider...

photog0611

Reaction score
You seem to be mainly concerned with the sidewall height. The sidewall height for the 3 tire sizes you mention (285/45R22, 275/50R22 & 305/40R22) are 5.05", 5.41" & 4.8", so at best you could increase the sidewall by 0.36" with the 275.

Downsizing the wheel to 20" would allow you to increase the sidewall by almost an inch - for example a 275/55R20 has a 5.95" sidewall. This is what I did with my 2021 Limited, before and after pics attached to show what 0.9" more sidewall looks like (1st pic is the 20" wheel) Obviously this requires a purchase of wheels but I figured do it now to get my money's worth.

We run Michelin Defenders on my wife's SUV. They are a great all-season tire with really good snow and rain performance but by design will be a narrower, less aggressive tire. An AT tire looks more aggressive but many perform relatively poorly on rain, snow and ice. Unfortunately the selection of AT tires for 22" wheels is more limited, and none had the snow performance I needed which factored heavily into my decision to go to a 20" wheel.

Just some additional thoughts.....
16dd8ba10041bee27bb301145532c494.jpg
e9441746d3664dc13cf131d1249526cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You seem to be mainly concerned with the sidewall height. The sidewall height for the 3 tire sizes you mention (285/45R22, 275/50R22 & 305/40R22) are 5.05", 5.41" & 4.8", so at best you could increase the sidewall by 0.36" with the 275.

Downsizing the wheel to 20" would allow you to increase the sidewall by almost an inch - for example a 275/55R20 has a 5.95" sidewall. This is what I did with my 2021 Limited, before and after pics attached to show what 0.9" more sidewall looks like (1st pic is the 20" wheel) Obviously this requires a purchase of wheels but I figured do it now to get my money's worth.

We run Michelin Defenders on my wife's SUV. They are a great all-season tire with really good snow and rain performance but by design will be a narrower, less aggressive tire. An AT tire looks more aggressive but many perform relatively poorly on rain, snow and ice. Unfortunately the selection of AT tires for 22" wheels is more limited, and none had the snow performance I needed which factored heavily into my decision to go to a 20" wheel.

Just some additional thoughts.....
16dd8ba10041bee27bb301145532c494.jpg
e9441746d3664dc13cf131d1249526cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Thank you! So, in other words, once you're at 22's, your sidewall is gonna be small no matter what, unless you make some serious modifications (which I'm not currently interested in doing). Honestly, I really like the look of the 22's and don't foresee swapping them out any time soon. So, seems like Defenders are the way to go.

Though I am wondering if anyone just left the stock tires on and what their experience was with them...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you! So, in other words, once you're at 22's, your sidewall is gonna be small no matter what, unless you make some serious modifications (which I'm not currently interested in doing). Honestly, I really like the look of the 22's and don't foresee swapping them out any time soon. So, seems like Defenders are the way to go.

Though I am wondering if anyone just left the stock tires on and what their experience was with them...
The Goodyears are CRAP! If you can afford to replace them...highly recommend you do so.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Goodyears are CRAP! If you can afford to replace them...highly recommend you do so.
AngelPhoenix,

Please understand my good friend Securityguy is not yelling nor does he have Tourette’s. He is just happens to be extremely forthright with his opinion concerning movie reviews, gun safes and GPS trackers as he is with tires. 😉

P.S. I share his opinion on the Goodyear’s!

Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AngelPhoenix,

Please understand my good friend Securityguy is not yelling nor does he have Tourette’s. He is just happens to be extremely forthright with his opinion concerning movie reviews, gun safes and GPS trackers as he is with tires. 😉

Even if he had Tourettes and was yelling because if it, wouldn't make him incorrect lol

I've read as much. There's been some good reviews on them too, but almost all of them were from big SUV owners, not trucks. I'm not keen on dropping another grand on a brand new TOP TRIM level vehicle because they decided to cheap out on the tires, but I also would kinda rather just deal with this now.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
AngelPhoenix,

You do know me all too well my friend;)

sessman

Reaction score
I’m sorry but I can’t help you on 22’s as I’m old and my back could handle the ride of 22’s…no experience with them but I can tell you Michelin 18s and 20s ride smooth. Am on my 4th set in my lifetime and won’t trust my life to anything else but Michelin.
Lol this is just silly. I had the 20s on my 2019 RAM and have the 22s on my 2021 RAM and I've noticed zero difference in ride quality.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I just picked up Michelin Agilis Crossclimate's they're basically the Defender but the newer generation with the Three Peak mountain snowflake symbol. They ride really nice I've got 20" rims and went up to a 275/65r20 to add another inch of lift to the truck but I didn't want to hum all the time, I've got about 3k miles on them and about 800mi's pulling a 7400lb camper. They're alot more stable towing than the OEM tires and almost as quiet which is saying alot comparing an LT E rated tires to a Passenger H SL rated tire.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol this is just silly. I had the 20s on my 2019 RAM and have the 22s on my 2021 RAM and I've noticed zero difference in ride quality.
Pull out your ruler and measure the sidewall of a 20” versus a 22” tire…then think about it. It’s basic physics - if you took that and passed it in high school. 😉

If you’re a still stumped, read on:

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Pirelli ATs I'm running are the highest rated for wet and dry traction, are mountain snowflake rated and actually feel good when pushed hard. Michelin defenders are OK if you drive slow/not stupid, but their hard cornering feedback is numb and their outright grip isn't that great. I might try the new version Defender if it's snowflake rated now. I drive over the pass a lot and will not chain my truck.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pirelli ATs I'm running are the highest rated for wet and dry traction, are mountain snowflake rated and actually feel good when pushed hard. Michelin defenders are OK if you drive slow/not stupid, but their hard cornering feedback is numb and their outright grip isn't that great. I might try the new version Defender if it's snowflake rated now. I drive over the pass a lot and will not chain my truck.
When was you last experience with Defenders???

Users who are viewing this thread