5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Tires for (2022) Ram 1500 Limited w/Night Edition (mostly highway driving)

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I notice the Defenders aren't XL rated either. Truthfully I don't know how much of a difference that will make.

I'm really kind of freaked out by how not very good the Terraincontacts are in snow, but a bit apprehensive about loses in things like handling comfort, cornering ability, MPG's, etc. from tires like the Destination AT2's, the AT3 4S's, and the Geolanders (things the Defenders and Terraincontacts are better at).

With the Destination's being both XL and 3-peak rated, I'd say that moves them up on my list and probably ties them with the AT3 4S's (which are also both XL and 3-peak) for first place right now (Defenders second, Geo's tied with Terraincontacts for third).

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I notice the Defenders aren't XL rated either. Truthfully I don't know how much of a difference that will make.

I'm really kind of freaked out by how not very good the Terraincontacts are in snow, but a bit apprehensive about loses in things like handling comfort, cornering ability, MPG's, etc. from tires like the Destination AT2's, the AT3 4S's, and the Geolanders (things the Defenders and Terraincontacts are better at).

With the Destination's being both XL and 3-peak rated, I'd say that moves them up on my list and probably ties them with the AT3 4S's (which are also both XL and 3-peak) for first place right now (Defenders second, Geo's tied with Terraincontacts for third).
Don't over think it. No single tire will meet all of your expectations.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't over think it. No single tire will meet all of your expectations.
Oh I'm definitely overthinking it lol. You're completely right though. If there was a tire that could do it all, everyone would just buy that tire haha.

I live in central PA and while we don't get a whole lot of snow, when we do get it, the roads are a mess, and of course there's lots of small-to-medium sized hills all over the place, and lots of curves through and around those hills. So like 90% of the time, snow traction doesn't matter. But for that remaining 10%, it's hugely important.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oh I'm definitely overthinking it lol. You're completely right though. If there was a tire that could do it all, everyone would just buy that tire haha.

I live in central PA and while we don't get a whole lot of snow, when we do get it, the roads are a mess, and of course there's lots of small-to-medium sized hills all over the place, and lots of curves through and around those hills. So like 90% of the time, snow traction doesn't matter. But for that remaining 10%, it's hugely important.
I used to live in Doylestown and my territory was Central PA so I know that area well. Good luck with your decision!

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welp. Just found at that Cooper Tires was bought by none other than....Goodyear. Greeeeeat.

Think it's down to the Defenders and the Destinations now lol.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Welp. Just found at that Cooper Tires was bought by none other than....Goodyear. Greeeeeat.

Think it's down to the Defenders and the Destinations now lol.
Hopefully, Goodyear doesn't destroy Cooper. If they leave them alone and let them do what they've been doing, then they'll be fine. That is very sad news though:(

sessman

Reaction score
Pull out your ruler and measure the sidewall of a 20” versus a 22” tire…then think about it. It’s basic physics - if you took that and passed it in high school. 😉

If you’re a still stumped, read on:

Pull out your ruler and measure the sidewall of a 20” versus a 22” tire…then think about it. It’s basic physics - if you took that and passed it in high school. 😉

If you’re a still stumped, read on:

To imply that the 22s have that much of an impact on ride quality that your back couldn't handle it is IMO a bit ridiculous. I drove my 2019 w/ 20s for 2 years before I purchased my 2021 w/ 22s. I can tell zero difference and if there is one it surely isn't enough to have an impact on your back. Just my $.02, not here to argue.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To imply that the 22s have that much of an impact on ride quality that your back couldn't handle it is IMO a bit ridiculous. I drove my 2019 w/ 20s for 2 years before I purchased my 2021 w/ 22s. I can tell zero difference and if there is one it surely isn't enough to have an impact on your back. Just my $.02, not here to argue.
And I think 22s on a truck look utterly ridiculous - especially a 4x4 - unless it’s a Matchbox car. It appears we each have our own definition and limits on what we consider to be ridiculous. Not to argue…

sessman

Reaction score
And I think 22s on a truck look utterly ridiculous - especially a 4x4 - unless it’s a Matchbox car. It appears we each have our own definition and limits on what we consider to be ridiculous. Not to argue…
So you proved my point exactly, you simply don't like the 22s, which is fine, but then you used something completely ridiculous to justify it, which is silly.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you proved my point exactly, you simply don't like the 22s, which is fine, but then you used something completely ridiculous to justify it, which is silly.
And you’re an uninformed idiot. You know nothing about my back, the incident or the surgeries I’ve had…22s suck for me both aesthetically and from a ride perspective as my back can’t handle it. I test drive a 2021 with 22s and knew in the first ten minutes it was not going to work. You like 22s…great…

sessman

Reaction score
And you’re an uninformed idiot. You know nothing about my back, the incident or the surgeries I’ve had…22s suck for me both aesthetically and from a ride perspective as my back can’t handle it. I test drive a 2021 with 22s and knew in the first ten minutes it was not going to work. You like 22s…great…
As someone that also has a bad lower back, I hope yours feels better, I'd never wish back pain upon anyone. You're a fellow RAM fan so you'll never be an idiot in my book! Have a great weekend.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
22's do NOT look utterly ridiculous!

Only slightly ridiculous. But that's actually why I like them, they stand out lol whether or not it's in a good way is entirely subjective. Like, I would never get a bright orange or green vehicle but some people love that ****, and more power to 'em.

As far as the ride goes, I can attest to being almost irritatingly sensitive to very minor things, stuff pretty much everyone I know doesn't even notice, never mind care about. If I wasn't getting air suspension with my Limited, I wouldn't be getting 22's.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Continental terrain contact HT's, It's by far the best wet traction truck tire I've every had. I normally by Michelin Defenders which are great tires but decided to try these based on the reviews and so far very pleased with them. They have a rim protector which might be nice if you have 22's to prevent curb rash.
'

GeorgeA

Reaction score
I have the Continental terrain contact HT's, It's by far the best wet traction truck tire I've every had. I normally by Michelin Defenders which are great tires but decided to try these based on the reviews and so far very pleased with them. They have a rim protector which might be nice if you have 22's to prevent curb rash.
'
Biga,

I am not seeing the "rim protector" when I view the tires on the Continental website.

I have already scratched my 22s a couple of times and I am looking for a tire that will help avoid that.

Can you post a photo?/

-G

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Biga,

I am not seeing the "rim protector" when I view the tires on the Continental website.

I have already scratched my 22s a couple of times and I am looking for a tire that will help avoid that.

Can you post a photo?/

-G
Was wondering about that myself, though I think the stiffer sidewall of the "light" A/T tires I'm gravitating toward would help with that.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Biga,

Can you post a photo?/

-G
Hard to see until it's installed, The rubber basically has a rib that sticks out about 1/2" where it meets the wheel so the tire hits the curb not the wheel. You can see it at the end of this video from campus automotive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread