5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best place to purchase Mopar official Mopar warranty- dont buy from local dealer!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
15 years ago I would have agreed with you. My last truck was a 2003 Ford F-250 with only 3 computers. The only digital displays were the radio station and the odometer. It was a pre-emissions diesel and 95% mechanical. In the 11 years I owned it I did all the work myself except for a tire blowout (that was covered by insurance) and when it was totaled by a distracted driver (not me).

This truck has countless electronics, the potential HEMI "tick", and a slew of other items that could far exceed the $3300 I paid for my 7 year warranty (minus the $100 deductible) with one visit to the dealership.

While there is always the chance they will deny the warranty claim I am not planning on a lot of modifications over the years. Lifts, big wheels/tires, catch cans, etc., are not on my wish list so I don't see too many road blocks for coverage.

Pre-COVID I was racking up 30K miles a year. Even now I'm still on pace for 20K miles a year. That's a lot of miles that fall under my MaxCare warranty umbrella. Plus I keep vehicles for the long term. I would still have my last truck if it hadn't been totaled by a jerk in a Jeep.

Even if I don't use it, it is worth the ~2 cents/mile that it will cost me. At 18 months my basic (B2B) warranty is just about up and next year my powertrain will run out in half the time allotted.

If I drove a lot less or planned to get rid of it in a few years I might have a different view. As mentioned, it's a personal choice.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

IDOH, You already chimed in on your opinion of extended warranties a number of times (last time being
Jun 6, 2020). Why do you keep repeating yourself?

You state that FCA makes crap products. Do you own an FCA product or not?

Someone asked how can they afford to do it so cheap. One reason is because it isn't backed by FCA. The extended warranty is an FCA LLC entity that can legally shut down with no responsibility, liability and get reinvented later with via signatures and state court filings.

There are many arguments against extended warranties but the schlock they are providing now is tops. Business is much different these days. Lots of shell operations to protect the mothership's liability and profits. If FCA produces a crap product line they can still decline warranty work and ultimately fold the extended warranty LLC if forced to do excess repairs. It's a pig in a poke.

It might be a better idea to save that extended warranty money and use it one year earlier for your next new vehicle purchase.

As always, you decide for yourself.

RJS

Reaction score
Someone asked how can they afford to do it so cheap. One reason is because it isn't backed by FCA. The extended warranty is an FCA LLC entity that can legally shut down with no responsibility, liability and get reinvented later with via signatures and state court filings.

There are many arguments against extended warranties but the schlock they are providing now is tops. Business is much different these days. Lots of shell operations to protect the mothership's liability and profits. If FCA produces a crap product line they can still decline warranty work and ultimately fold the extended warranty LLC if forced to do excess repairs. It's a pig in a poke.

It might be a better idea to save that extended warranty money and use it one year earlier for your next new vehicle purchase.

Of course it's this way because it's handled like an insurance policy, the same as Ford and GM. It's a subsidiary of FCA just as Chrysler Capital and Ram trucks.
It's the way corporations have done business for generations. Studebaker had many subsidiaries in the 50's, GM and Ford also have service contracts formed the same way. Many foreign companies like Mitsubishi and Volkswagen also have many subsidiaries. It's business 101 in a nut shell.

They are not shell companies but legal entities doing business as usual.

If FCA made crap products the initial 36/36 would put them under so what's the difference.

I do agree with you however that it is an individual decision on purchasing one.

Last edited:

The Critic

Reaction score
Just checked the Ziegler website. The 8/125K plan is now priced $305 higher than before the 9/1 price increase.

U

User_3336

We were warned of a price increase . . . Probably FCA's doing.

I was told the "longer term" plans went up, while some of the "shorter terms" plans remained the same.

If this is so, it it FCA wanting to get more money out of long term plans, since they have the potential of paying out more on long term plans.

Look at the recent even where they were offering some people with the "unlimited" plans a giant rebate on a new vehicle.....The plans cancels with the payout, and they are no longer obligated to pay out on a unlimited plan.

Just checked the Ziegler website. The 8/125K plan is now priced $305 higher than before the 9/1 price increase.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't keep the truck long enough for the extended warranty to expire do you get a pro rated portion back? I did with Ford.

U

User_3336

FULL refund for 60 days after you purchase after the plan. after that it's based off mileage and time. plus a $75 cancellation fee.

If you don't keep the truck long enough for the extended warranty to expire do you get a pro rated portion back? I did with Ford.

Bullitt02797

Reaction score
Just a heads up to anyone interested...

I just had the 7yr/unlimited Mopar max care extended warranty quoted by three sellers on my 2020 Laramie 4x4 Gas with 3800 miles. All at $200 deductible.

Mopar Factory Direct - $3445 (includes the $800 off through today 9/18/20 email coupon I received and a $100 “it’s the end of the week“ coupon for real the saleswoman said “I can apply $100 coupons at the end of the week sometimes” )

Ziegler Auto Group - $2910 (base price), $2545 ($365 coupon for pay in full), $2660 ($250 coupon for 12mo 0% financing. Requires a 10-50% down payment. No finance fee
per salesman, but in reality it equates to approx a 5% “fee” over the Pay In Full price)

Chryslerwarranties.com - $2766 (included a coupon code but the salesman wouldn’t specific what it was. I asked if they would price match ziegler and when I told him the price he said that $2545 was basically cost and they couldn’t match it)

I can also confirm the plan is prorated if you cancel prior to the end of the 7yr term. All there salespersons (salespeople?) said Mopar calculates the prorated value based on time/mileage/claims and there is a $75 cancellation fee.

I drive between 35000-40000 miles per year so the warranty only costs me ~$0.01 per mile for the Ziegler option. Its cost effective and piece of mind for me as I had to put an engine in my 2016 ecodiesel after it spun a bearing at 115k miles to the tune of ~$13k. I would have purchased another ecodiesel but they don’t offer the 7yr/unlimited mile warranty on any diesels so my excel spreadsheet told me the gas was the more cost effective option over the life of the vehicle.

U

User_3336

I don't think anyone has been able to beat ZEIGLER'S price. You can always call Bob Cline directly at Zeigler.
He has offered the forum discount codes for years now.

The promo code of "PAYINFULL" still yields a discount of $365.

Just a heads up to anyone interested...

I just had the 7yr/unlimited Mopar max care extended warranty quoted by three sellers on my 2020 Laramie 4x4 Gas with 3800 miles. All at $200 deductible.

Mopar Factory Direct - $3445 (includes the $800 off through today 9/18/20 email coupon I received and a $100 “it’s the end of the week“ coupon for real the saleswoman said “I can apply $100 coupons at the end of the week sometimes” )

Ziegler Auto Group - $2910 (base price), $2545 ($365 coupon for pay in full), $2660 ($250 coupon for 12mo 0% financing. Requires a 10-50% down payment. No finance fee
per salesman, but in reality it equates to approx a 5% “fee” over the Pay In Full price)

Chryslerwarranties.com - $2766 (included a coupon code but the salesman wouldn’t specific what it was. I asked if they would price match ziegler and when I told him the price he said that $2545 was basically cost and they couldn’t match it)

I can also confirm the plan is prorated if you cancel prior to the end of the 7yr term. All there salespersons (salespeople?) said Mopar calculates the prorated value based on time/mileage/claims and there is a $75 cancellation fee.

I drive between 35000-40000 miles per year so the warranty only costs me ~$0.01 per mile for the Ziegler option. Its cost effective and piece of mind for me as I had to put an engine in my 2016 ecodiesel after it spun a bearing at 115k miles to the tune of ~$13k. I would have purchased another ecodiesel but they don’t offer the 7yr/unlimited mile warranty on any diesels so my excel spreadsheet told me the gas was the more cost effective option over the life of the vehicle.

Mike7311

Reaction score
Mopar Maximum Care
Is the deductible per item or can I bring it in for multiple items to be addressed and pay the single deductible?

The_Dude

Reaction score
I got the 8 year 100k max care warranty with $200 deductible for $1690 for my 2019 1500 longhorn from Clay Robins Motors. Pretty good deal if I do say so myself.

nburd

Reaction score

I learned the hard way that sometimes it's money that is just thrown away but gives you piece of mind. Bought an FCA lifetime power train with no deductible for my 2013 300S HEMI AWD bought used with 28K. It was around $1200 at the time (2015). I never used it. Never needed it. Which speaks well on the car reliability. I sold the car this year (to buy my truck) and it was not transferable to the new Owner. I got $20.00 back from FCA for closing it out. I am going to wait until less than 3 years or 33,000-34,000 miles to review buying one for my new truck. I see no reason to buy so early in the ownership process. We will see how the truck goes under warranty for a while first. If it's troublesome, maybe trade/sell vs an extended warranty.

Last edited:

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I learned the hard way that some times it money just thrown away. Bought an FCA lifetime power train with no deductible for my 2013 300S HEMI AWD bought used with 28K. It was around $1200 at the time (2015). I never used it. Never needed it. Which speaks well on the car reliability. I sold the car this year (to my my truck) and it was not transferable to the new Owner. I got $20.00 back from FCA for closing it out. I am going to wait until less than 3 years or 33,000-34,000 miles to review buying one for my new truck. I see no reason to buy so early in the ownership process. We will see how the truck goes under warranty for a while first. If it's troublesome, maybe trade/sell vs an extended warranty.

Yes you can always do that but please remember as your car miles increase, the price you pay will also increase.

nburd

Reaction score
Yes you can always do that but please remember as your car miles increase, the price you pay will also increase.
Agreed. Yes 2020 3500 Miles Unlimited 7 years/$200 $2910 2018 35000 Miles Unlimited 7 years/$200 $3765.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am going to wait until less than 3 years or 33,000-34,000 miles to review buying one for my new truck. I see no reason to buy so early in the ownership process. We will see how the truck goes under warranty for a while first. If it's troublesome, maybe trade/sell vs an extended warranty.
I'm not sure what the surcharge is now but when I got mine it was about a $200 bump once I crossed over 12K miles and another $200 at 24K miles for the policy I was looking at.

I waited before I decided to buy and that's when the price spike happened. I waited for the prices to come down but I was in the 12K-24K mile "bracket" and ended paying a little over $200 more than if I would have pulled the trigger shortly after buying the truck.

The $200 was a better deal in my situation. When I decided to buy I was a little over 10K miles and the prices spiked. If I didn't wait I would have paid $1000 more instead of just $200.

U

User_3336

Prices are neck and neck and margins are razor thin.

$1670 At Zeigler.

QUOTE="The_Dude, post: 339590, member: 24570"]
I got the 8 year 100k max care warranty with $200 deductible for $1690 for my 2019 1500 longhorn from Clay Robins Motors. Pretty good deal if I do say so myself.
[/QUOTE]

The_Dude

Reaction score
Prices are neck and neck and margins are razor thin.

$1670 At Zeigler.

QUOTE="The_Dude, post: 339590, member: 24570"]
[/QUOTE]
Technically I paid $1640 because I also bought a warranty for my Alfa Romeo, so I got a $50 discount on both policies. My Alfa Romeo QV though was quite expensive for the same warranty of 8/100; but a new engine is $30k. I also just had some warranty work done and a new radiator was a $2k job.

tpoony

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4 CPOV with 48k miles recently. It has the CPOV extended warranty and still under the 3 Month MaxCare. Considering to upgrade to MaxCare long term. Has any gotten MaxCare directly from the Mopar website (moparserviceplans.com)? I got quoted for 8 year 100k @ $100 deductible for $2350. Would love some advice.

Users who are viewing this thread