5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Exhaust System for 2019 Ram

EXQQQME

Reaction score
93CBRA,

I love the sound of the Hemi in its "almost" raw form!!! After months of listening to it with this ebay exhaust cutout, it has its cons/negative aspects. The ability to turn it off and cruise up into driveway (or start up in AM) with Exhaust Cutout closed or OFF is the Bees-Knees!!!

the Exhaust Cutout---

--Gives you that ability to turn it ON/OFF (thus AM start-up or driving back into your quiet neighborhood)
--that deep Hemi sound almost raw format--(installed after cat/resonator----straight pipe being raw format)
--As my other half tells it---act like a little boy with his favorite toy switching it off/on (or little girl)
--Turning it off when going through drive-thru
--Turning it ON and feeling/HEARING that baby go through the gears from traffic light....MY, MY, MY

Cons---
--Cabin sound gets overbearing if constant on long trip (thus ABILITY to turn it OFF!!!)
--End up turning the radio UP to get over the cabin sound while Exhaust Cutout is open/On
--Does have droning at different speeds and same with the MDS kicks in
--dB is louder in cabin, so not good longterm or constantly on for hearing (see note below for laugh)

Again, I wish several of the aftermarket exhaust makers or DODGE would make the exhaust system with the ability to turn it off and on like the corvette video as they would through R&D eliminate/greatly reduce the Cons above.

Note--I started laughing at myself when I was typing that line above about the dB; as I once fell asleep as the driver(in drivers seat) of a M113 track vehicle during night live fire at tank range back in the 80's. Abram M1's literally right next to us as I had the Officer in Charge onboard---for those that have not experienced the live fire:
Okay, I did the muffler delete as well. Not really 100% positive of what people mean by this "droning" sound with the radio frequency to compensate something something something...
So here is what I have found with mine with the muffler delete: At certain speeds & rpms there would be an annoying low tone which seems somewhat ear piercing to me. After getting under the truck and looking with it idling it seemed as if some of the low engine tone was coming off the pipe or off of the side of the pipe. Kind of like being pulled up beside someone with the bass turned up on their car stereo. Sooooo, what I found to help tremendously was- I wrapped the exhaust with header wrap from where the header bolts on to the pipe(up by the transfer case) all the way back to the section where it splits off to the "Y" portion of the pipe.
Took it for a drive an I'm very happy with the outcome. That annoying low tone, droning sound is all but gone!
What it is I used is a fiberglass header pipe wrap.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Okay, I did the muffler delete as well. Not really 100% positive of what people mean by this "droning" sound with the radio frequency to compensate something something something...
So here is what I have found with mine with the muffler delete: At certain speeds & rpms there would be an annoying low tone which seems somewhat ear piercing to me. After getting under the truck and looking with it idling it seemed as if some of the low engine tone was coming off the pipe or off of the side of the pipe. Kind of like being pulled up beside someone with the bass turned up on their car stereo. Sooooo, what I found to help tremendously was- I wrapped the exhaust with header wrap from where the header bolts on to the pipe(up by the transfer case) all the way back to the section where it splits off to the "Y" portion of the pipe.
Took it for a drive an I'm very happy with the outcome. That annoying low tone, droning sound is all but gone!
What it is I used is a fiberglass header pipe wrap.
Great idea EXQQQME!!!

Any pics???

I don't get the droning sound at idle but at different speeds. I am curious the pros/cons to this idea and am interested in trying this myself if I can identify the droning areas.

EXQQQME

Reaction score
Great idea EXQQQME!!!

Any pics???

I don't get the droning sound at idle but at different speeds. I am curious the pros/cons to this idea and am interested in trying this myself if I can identify the droning areas.
I will get some pics today. It was late last night when I posted and wasn't near it to get pics, but yes I will

EXQQQME

Reaction score
Great idea EXQQQME!!!

Any pics???

Here are a couple pics

Attachments

• 20190729_164419.jpg
    20190729_164419.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 20190729_164354.jpg
    20190729_164354.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 260

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Here are a couple pics
Thanks EXQQQME!!!

I am definitely willing to try this. As it would be a cheap option to reduce the droning sound (if it works for me as it has for you). I will come up with a contraption to try and identify and isolate the "area" of droning. Yet another fun mini project. Unfortunately I have 3-4 in front of this one and since I don't drive around exclusively with the switch "on" I don't hear the droning as much as those without a "on/off switch"...but I will put a note on my "to do" list to update this thread with my findings in a few weeks.

Appreciate the idea and pics EXQQQME!!!

Evoking1230

Reaction score
I only get drone in ECO mode on the highway. Otherwise it’s fine. Must be used to it. All my cars except the previous one were fully equipped headers back. :giggle:

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I was waiting for Corsa to come out with their exhaust. I have the Corsa Extreme on my 300 SRT and the Corsa db on my Jeep Wrangler so I’m definitely a fan. I eventually got tired of waiting and checked out the Borla. I loved the sound of the S-Type. I got the S-Type and couldn’t be happier. After I got it installed, Corsa finally came out with theirs. I heard a sound clip and didn’t like it at all. The Borla is so much better IMHO. No regrets. I added the bed step afterwards and it fits perfectly too.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was waiting for Corsa to come out with their exhaust. I have the Corsa Extreme on my 300 SRT and the Corsa db on my Jeep Wrangler so I’m definitely a fan. I eventually got tired of waiting and checked out the Borla. I loved the sound of the S-Type. I got the S-Type and couldn’t be happier. After I got it installed, Corsa finally came out with theirs. I heard a sound clip and didn’t like it at all. The Borla is so much better IMHO. No regrets. I added the bed step afterwards and it fits perfectly too.
Would love to hear audio clips (or specific characteristics you like about the system).

rsmeanie

Reaction score
"Would love to hear audio clips (or specific characteristics you like about the system)."

I tried to attach a video to my post but the site wouldn't allow a .mov file. I'll try something else and get it up here.

HiHoSilverRebel

Reaction score
Another one to add to the list. I installed the Flowmaster Flow FX full catback. Part # 717889. Got it on eBay from a great seller for $497 shipped. Comes with black tips too. It sounds amazing to me. It's pretty aggressive during acceleration, and really deep and smooth sounding at WOT. It has no drone to me and is even wife approved for quietness at cruising speed. I've not seen anybody talking about it.

To me it's about perfect. I don't think anyone would say it's too quiet.. Some people might think it's too much during acceleration, but to me it's low, deep and sounds like a truck now, not a Camry.

Kensws6

Reaction score
Well I am gonna stick with my ebay exhaust cutout!!! ugh memory is $60ish...

Here is QTP video of exhaust cutout---while they are more expensive; this is the sound you get...wait for it....With The Ability To Turn it OFF/ON!!!!!!

Sounds like poop, get a exhaust, poor man's exhaust, if you can afford the truck you can put a proper exhaust on it, my 2 cents

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Sounds like poop, get a exhaust, poor man's exhaust, if you can afford the truck you can put a proper exhaust on it, my 2 cents
Since you quoted me....guess I will respond 1 time and leave it alone afterwards as my point and my opinion is like yours, we all have one.

Yes I can afford any exhaust that I want. So with choices out there, "my choice" and the sound I like is this one; thus I have it on "my truck" and when I find another exhaust that has the ability to turn off/on then I will be interested.

AnthonyJS02

Reaction score
Looking through a bunch of exhaust threads. Anyone been interested in the Gibson exhaust for our trucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwm67

Reaction score
Looking through a bunch of exhaust threads. Anyone been interested in the Gibson exhaust for our trucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seen a guy on Youtube swap one out for the Borla S. He like the sound good enough but when he pulled it down the muffler was starting to rust, and that was I believe southern California ( no snow and salt). The comparison clearly shows the build quality. You should be able to find it on Youtube

Pjwishlist

Reaction score
First part is with all windows up, as i exit the hwy i opened the sliding window and as i came back around i opened the front windows

S type or atak? Sounds sexy, just trying to not go insane making a simple decision hard.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Sometimes old age plays with the mind when ya trying to remember something and the brain gives ya glimpse of it...then bam bam...ya remember!!!

Any other exhaust offer the On/Off switch that you can recall???

While I do get some drone (with the cheap ebay exhaust cutout) which I would like to eliminate, and I love some of the exhaust other members have shared on here; I want both On and Off.

Here is older youtube video (few years) where the "exhaust cutout" concept actually placed in 2014 corvette stingray and option for harley with the ON/OFF switch:

Way late on a reply here, but I can vouch for the Chevy Active Exhaust Systems. The difference between the tour/stealth modes and track modes is awesome. Second to that you can install a cheap switch that is programmed to your homelink system that will leave the valves open all the time! Would be pretty awesome if they would start making these for vehicles, but my guess is the truck market has less loud exhaust enthusiasts than the sports car realm. I will say though that the active exhaust was amazing on my Camaro...especially after supercharging and putting catless headers. Stealth mode made me able to not completely annoy my neighbors cranking her up at 5:45AM daily.

Users who are viewing this thread