5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I picked up a Vantrue N4 3 Channel 4K Dash Cam during Prime Day for a good deal and was planning to do an install in my Ram 1500. Would this be a similar install to the Blackvue? Is there a good guide to run the wire for the rear camera?
Very similar to the Blackvue. PM me and we can discuss a few options to run the cable to the rear.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Two weeks ago Linus Tech Tips - a very respected reviewer of consumer technology - posted on their YouTube channel about the poor video quality of dash cams in general, including the premium brands that are virtually no better than sub-$100. It's worth a watch. Makes me glad I didn't spend much on mine.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Two weeks ago Linus Tech Tips - a very respected reviewer of consumer technology - posted on their YouTube channel about the poor video quality of dash cams in general, including the premium brands that are virtually no better than sub-$100. It's worth a watch. Makes me glad I didn't spend much on mine.

I know nothing about dash cams, but that is a pretty interesting video. I almost didn't get past the first few minutes because he was being so goofy. @bigdodge posted it last Saturday.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Made me feel good about my choice of the A119 V3 for the schools cars for my kids. Especially since they include a GPS module to track speed and location data.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For a budget buyer, you can't beat a VIOFO.
I have Apeman C550 camera in my truck I bought off Amazon before they stopped selling on Amazon. It seems like a good quality camera for the price as well.

1923bob

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m looking at getting a 2ch front/rear dash cam and wanted to ask more experienced folks what the best was.
I’m looking for a minimalist design (small/don’t need a screen on the camera). My current front runner is the Blackvue but $$$$$. Is that really the best and you get what you pay for or am I paying for name brand and there’s equivalent/better for cheaper?
I have a Vantrue in my 2021 Limited Patriot Blue and Like it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you don't understand how dash cams work, maybe shouldn't be commenting, saying others who do, don't know what we are talking about.
SD cards are flash storage. If you don't understand how flash storage works then...
Also there is no such thing as "lock files" the card is either formatted as fat32 or NTFS, neither of which support locked files. Just because YOU can't delete them on your dash cam doesn't mean they are locked, it means your device is preventing YOU from deleting them.

Dash cameras are nothing but computers with a camera lens and sensor when it comes down to it, likely running some build of either Android or Unix.
Dash cam makers don't care if you are destroying your SD cards

There's no reason to spread misinformation that will increase wear/damage other peoples devices.
saying "you need\should format your SD card every month" is different then saying "your dash camera needs you to format your SD card every month because that makes the DASH CAMERA work better while increasing the wear on your SD card causing pre-mature failure"

As it is SD cards are NOT designed to function as camera storage and that is likely why these manufactures are having you do nonsensical things to your storage media. These devices would better be served using a similar sized SLC SSD.

A good example is the Comma AI devices. Anything over 32GB is using SSD storage, even a 250gb unit. You can easily get 512GB SSD cards with good read\write performance but i'm sure this manufacture knows they will crap out and be riddled with RMA claims for silly SD cards.

Here's a link to learn more about flash storage if you still are questioning anything I am saying.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SD cards are flash storage. If you don't understand how flash storage works then...
Also there is no such thing as "lock files" the card is either formatted as fat32 or NTFS, neither of which support locked files. Just because YOU can't delete them on your dash cam doesn't mean they are locked, it means your device is preventing YOU from deleting them.

Dash cameras are nothing but computers with a camera lens and sensor when it comes down to it, likely running some build of either Android or Unix.

There's no reason to spread misinformation that will increase wear/damage other peoples devices.
saying "you need\should format your SD card every month" is different then saying "your dash camera needs you to format your SD card every month because that makes the DASH CAMERA work better while increasing the wear on your SD card causing pre-mature failure"

As it is SD cards are NOT designed to function as camera storage and that is likely why these manufactures are having you do nonsensical things to your storage media. These devices would better be served using a similar sized SLC SSD.

A good example is the Comma AI devices. Anything over 32GB is using SSD storage, even a 250gb unit. You can easily get 512GB SSD cards with good read\write performance but i'm sure this manufacture knows they will crap out and be riddled with RMA claims for silly SD cards.

Here's a link to learn more about flash storage if you still are questioning anything I am saying.
The cameras literally lock the files from being over written. Just because you don't agree with how it works doesn't change what is going on. Even "formatting" the cards through the camera menu won't delete the files the camera has locked. Only way to delete them is plugging the micro SD card into your computer.

And yes, not deleting all the "locked" files will cause the cameras to reboot while operating.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The cameras literally lock the files from being over written. Just because you don't agree with how it works doesn't change what is going on. Even "formatting" the cards through the camera menu won't delete the files the camera has locked. Only way to delete them is plugging the micro SD card into your computer.

And yes, not deleting all the "locked" files will cause the cameras to reboot while operating.
You can't pick and choose what to do when you format, you either format the volume or you don't. What you are explaining is not possible.

If the device claims it's doing a format but you need to plug the card into a computer to remove the files, then it's clearly NOT doing a format, and it all comes back to the camera using poorly designed software as appears to be getting established in this thread.

If you want to ignore all the facts on how technology works and just go based upon your gut feeling go for it. Technology is not arcane magic it all happens\works for a reason. Just because you don't know that reason doesn't mean it does not exist and need to fight it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

You still don't get it...but I have read further down this thread and see that you're still arguing with people. There are several SD cards specifically made for high speed read/write devices like dash cams and cameras. In order to maintain the SD cards integrity, they should be formatted monthly as per manufacturer instructions. You appear to be very savvy related to technology...just ignorant when it comes to dash cams, how they function and their SD card requirements. I am not here to argue with you, just pointing out that YOU are providing misinformation on a topic you clearly do not understand. I reformat my Samsung high-speed SD cards monthly, and have for over three years in a several cases, and have never had an SD card failure in any dash cam I have ever installed.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Vortex Radar put up a follow up video to Linus Tech Tips dash cam video. One of my favorite takeaways confirms what LTT said - video quality is all pretty much the same and if you don't need the cloud capability of the Blackvue, buy something else (aka a Viofo which is Vortex's top recommended budget dash cam).

sd2134

Reaction score
I did some testing with the SD card from my ThinkWare Q800PRO dash cam. I am NOT favoring one post or another, these are my results.

Removed SD from cam, plugged into my PC. This is the folder structure on the SD card.

Q800PRO Folders.jpg

The folders under TWSYS with the rec extension were all empty. The folders under Q800PRO (root) with the rec extension all had files. The continuous recording folder files were sequential (looped). The oldest files appear to be overwritten as the SD card becomes full. The other folder files were dated as the event occurred (further back in time). These folders appear to remain until the dash cam format button is pushed. After I did a dash cam format, I read the SD on my PC. The folder structure was still in place. All of the MP4 video file extensions were changed to TMP and placed in their respective folders under TWSYS. The SD showed the is was still full. I did a quick format on my PC, the SD was basically empty. I replaced the SD in the dash cam and the folder structure was rebuilt. The TWSYS still had the TMP files and was basically full to capacity.

My observations since I did a quick format the files are not actually removed (rewrite of file allocation tables). I believe the TMP files will be over written as new recording take place. I believe that my dash cam format is more like on optimize feature vs the formatting done on a PC/MAC. I believe to free up space the dash cam format should be done on a regular basis. I would backup or download important recordings priot to the format.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did some testing with the SD card from my ThinkWare Q800PRO dash cam. I am NOT favoring one post or another, these are my results.

My observations since I did a quick format the files are not actually removed (rewrite of file allocation tables). I believe the TMP files will be over written as new recording take place. I believe that my dash cam format is more like on optimize feature vs the formatting done on a PC/MAC. I believe to free up space the dash cam format should be done on a regular basis. I would backup or download important recordings priot to the format.
I totally agree. Each dash cam manufacturer will handle the files on the SD card differently, but they shouldn't differ too much from your experience above. Most all dash cams also install their OS onto the SD card at each reformat as well as when performing a software update to the camera.

1923bob

Reaction score

Night Rebel

Reaction score
I want a camera and I love the digital mirror on the 22s. So I’m thinking of replacing my mirror with an aftermarket digital mirror. Front and rear camera. And Im gonna get a bed rack for overlanding at some point. So I could run the camera in the rear and sill use my mirror. Has anyone went the route?

NikoMaku Mirror Dash Cam Front and Rear Backup Camera for Cars 4K Resolution Type-C 11 Inch Screen Full Touch Screen Rear View Mirror Camera 170° Wide Angle Dual Cameras Waterproof AS5 Pro https://a.co/d/037tM8p

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got my Blackvue 750x-2ch-plus and I'll install on Monday.

First step: cutting off the glass fuse cases from the wires and using the fuse taps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online