5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
I read reviews on many dashcams and was only interested in front facing. I was down to the Blackvue DR590X, Viofo A129 Pro, and new to the market Miofive 4k.

I ended up going with the Miofive 4k (Link to website). Here are some of the things I liked:
  • Form factor - similar to the Blackvue which I prefer over the Viofo.
  • Looks good - has a nice premium look and seems to be very well made as far as exterior fit and finish.
  • Records in 4k with 140 degree FOV
  • eMMC storage vs. microSD - eMMC is soldered to the circuit board with faster write/read speed, more robust/reliable, and much longer lasting (Miofive claims 10 times the life. expectancy vs microSD).
  • 5G wifi - I tried downloading clips to the Miofive app on my iPhone and it's really fast.
  • LCD screen - I like that in a worst case scenario video can be viewed and settings changed on the unit itself.
  • Mobile app is easy to connect to camera and easy to use.
  • Optional hardwire kit includes fuse taps.
  • Nice packaging - similar to how iPhone is packaged. Adds to the premium feel experience when opening the box.
  • From what I've read, the company seems to be passionate about supporting the product and providing updates to improve performance and functionality. Updates appear on the mobile app and install quickly thanks to the 5G modem. I emailed Miofive with a question and I got a response in less than 24 hours, so that's a good sign.
Potential dislikes
  • 64mb of storage - according to a chart I looked at, that's around 6-9 hours at 4k. I don't plan on saving "non-event" clips so non-issue for me.
  • Front camera only - no rear facing camera is available.
  • eMMC storage - if/when it fails, it's game over. However assuming on the low end that a microSD card lasts only 1 year, eMMC would last for up to 10 years so not really an issue.
  • No cloud services - I would never use this so no loss for me.
  • Lack of brand recognition - Miofive did a successful Kickstarter last year and now sells on Amazon. It doesn't have a ton of reviews but they seem positive.
Since I don't have my Backcountry yet, I'll be installing the Miofive in the wife's Outback to try it out. Assuming it lives up to expectations, I plan to put it in all our vehicles.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I read reviews on many dashcams and was only interested in front facing. I was down to the Blackvue DR590X, Viofo A129 Pro, and new to the market Miofive 4k.

I ended up going with the Miofive 4k (Link to website). Here are some of the things I liked:
  • Looks good - has a nice premium look and seems to be very well made as far as exterior fit and finish.
  • eMMC storage vs. microSD - eMMC is soldered to the circuit board with faster write/read speed, more robust/reliable, and much longer lasting (Miofive claims 10 times the life. expectancy vs microSD).
  • 5G wifi - I tried downloading clips to the Miofive app on my iPhone and it's really fast.
  • LCD screen - I like that in a worst case scenario video can be viewed and settings changed on the unit itself.
  • Nice packaging - similar to how iPhone is packaged. Adds to the premium feel experience when opening the box.
  • From what I've read, the company seems to be passionate about supporting the product and providing updates to improve performance and functionality. Updates appear on the mobile app and install quickly thanks to the 5G modem. I emailed Miofive with a question and I got a response in less than 24 hours, so that's a good sign.
Potential dislikes
  • 64mb of storage - according to a chart I looked at, that's around 6-9 hours at 4k. I don't plan on saving "non-event" clips so non-issue for me.
  • eMMC storage - if/when it fails, it's game over. However assuming on the low end that a microSD card lasts only 1 year, eMMC would last for up to 10 years so not really an issue.
  • Lack of brand recognition - Miofive did a successful Kickstarter last year and now sells on Amazon. It doesn't have a ton of reviews but they seem positive.
Since I don't have my Backcountry yet, I'll be installing the Miofive in the wife's Outback to try it out. Assuming it lives up to expectations, I plan to put it in all our vehicles.
this looks real good.

keep us posted on how it works

honeybadger49

Reaction score
Has anyone hardwired a dash am in a 2022 yet? Looks like there’s no interior fuse panel to tap into anymore.

honeybadger49

Reaction score
I have, followed the instruction in post #105. The interior power distribution is under the steering wheel area.
My 3500 doesn't have this. Seems like there must be a difference between the 1500 and 2500/3500 models.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score

Potential dislikes

this looks real good.

keep us posted on how it works

Total install time in the wife's Subaru Outback was about 90 minutes which included watching videos and double/triple checking my work. The unit, hardwire kit with included fuse taps, etc are all very nice quality.

I am really impressed with it. The app is easy to connect to the dashcam. First have to go to wifi and select the dashcam before launching the app. Otherwise it just works. The camera is really compact and not obvious from the outside. On start up the screen comes on for 30 seconds and then shuts off. There is a green slow-blinking light on the left side to indicate it's recording. I turned off the annoying voice announcements on startup so it is silent at all times. I also set it to not record the GPS speed in the video.

It takes video in one minute clips. I don't think there is a way to change the time interval but not a big deal to me. The g-force sensor saves a clip in an accident so I don't think you'd end up with an accident stretching over more than one clip, but I'm not going to test it to find out!

Here's a link to the Miofive on Amazon

IMG_0730.jpg IMG_0731.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg IMG_0737.jpg

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Total install time in the wife's Subaru Outback was about 90 minutes which included watching videos and double/triple checking my work. The unit, hardwire kit with included fuse taps, etc are all very nice quality.

I am really impressed with it. The app is easy to connect to the dashcam. First have to go to wifi and select the dashcam before launching the app. Otherwise it just works. The camera is really compact and not obvious from the outside. On start up the screen comes on for 30 seconds and then shuts off. There is a green slow-blinking light on the left side to indicate it's recording. I turned off the annoying voice announcements on startup so it is silent at all times. I also set it to not record the GPS speed in the video.

It takes video in one minute clips. I don't think there is a way to change the time interval but not a big deal to me. The g-force sensor saves a clip in an accident so I don't think you'd end up with an accident stretching over more than one clip, but I'm not going to test it to find out!

View attachment 128489 View attachment 128490
View attachment 128487 View attachment 128488
thanks

when you get your truck do you plan on using the adaptor that has been mentioned here?

or is it this one?

Last edited:

Ickabod

Reaction score
Has anyone hardwired a dash am in a 2022 yet? Looks like there’s no interior fuse panel to tap into anymore.
I am currently installing the BlackVue DR750X in my 2022 2500. I wired the front camera to one of my in cab wires from my aux switch. The new 2022 has 4 possible in cab wires. I will try and find the posting on HDrams.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Yankee Echo

Reaction score

n8zcc

Reaction score
My 3500 doesn't have this. Seems like there must be a difference between the 1500 and 2500/3500 models.
That is a game-changer.

On my 2015 3500, I ran a power wire down the passenger side A-pillar, and then over to the center stack. I swapped the fuse position in the underhood power distribution box so the center stack power port always had power. In this truck I'm running a Garmin and it knows when to go into and out of parking mode.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

View attachment 128489 View attachment 128490
View attachment 128487 View attachment 128488
pulled the trigger on the miofive today
will post when it gets installed

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
got the miofive installed. took about 45 minutes just to get the plastic off and on around the mirror.
more after i drive with it.
got to drive around town today for a few hours.
with the camera hooked into the rear view mirror connection the camera comes on with a welcome message and starts recording when you start the truck. it keeps recording until you shut off the truck. you can see the imagines on your phone with the app through the wifi, but it stops recording when you look at the pictures. any hard breaking seems to put videos into the emergency section of the app. of you can teel the app to save what ever video you want.

for a under 200 dollar camera it does what is needed and that is to have a recording if something happens in front of you. if you do not want to hook it into the rear view mirror it comes with a cord long enough to reach your other ports.

if you want a rear view then this one is not for you

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
why don't you buy one and take it apart?
seeing how you claim to be an expert.
I added it to my cart a few weeks ago, intending to do just that, but I'm not going to pay $30 for something I'm not going to use. I ordered my Viofo A139 for the upcoming truck and because I want parking mode, I bought it with the HK4-C. The HK4-C requires 2 power sources to record in driving/parking modes.

I welcome you to cut off the heat shrink and take some pictures. You're not technically 'taking it apart' you're just removing the candy wrapper and it will still be 100% functional. I'm still saying this:
71Rut45wq3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
is basically this:
maxresdefault.jpg

and look, it's a quick and dirty way of doing things, but there is no voltage stabilization, no back-flow protection, no current protection, no undervoltage protection, etc.
If you're willing to open up your unit, I'll crack open my HK4-C when it comes in and we can compare what's inside.
1652470266684.png

Potential dislikes
Looks like a good form factor, I like when other people can barely see it.

I'm not sure if the internal storage longevity really matters. I found that I really only keep dash cams for about 5 years before something better comes out or something else breaks from the Florida sun. Besides, you can just keep swapping SD cards. I think someone else mentioned, you should regularly check your videos to make sure it's actually recording. I've also had it indicate that it was recording, but when I checked, it wasn't saving a thing.

64GB should be enough. I always tell people not to record/save too much. Save the stuff you want, loop everything else. Saving 3 weeks of you driving around town is not very useful data, especially if you value privacy.
Will probably be too late, but I'll post something when mine comes in. It'll be one of my first installations.

Islander

Reaction score
You can plug every dash cam into a cigarette lighter plug...none have to be hardwired. Hardwired is just cleaner looking and provides the capability for Parking Mode which is an essential feature. No standalone battery powered cameras. To hardwire a camera on a RAM takes like 15-30 minutes tops...SUPER EASY!
Hi securityguy,

It's been really interesting reading all 13 pages of this thread today...and would appreciate your insight since you an expert with dashcams.

I have little experience with electronics...and new to dashcams but want to put a system in my new '22 BH, and do it myself...well I have no other option but to do it myself where I live :)

I am thinking to buy the Blackvue DR750X-2CH Plus and the Blackvue B-124X Battery Pack, hardwire the battery pack and then run the cameras off that when in Park Mode.

Can you please let me know which fuse you would tap into (I assume an internal fuse) so that the battery pack gets powered only when the ignition is on...and where exactly I would find it?

I don't have the kits yet but assume they would come with the taps and fuses I need.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi securityguy,

It's been really interesting reading all 13 pages of this thread today...and would appreciate your insight since you an expert with dashcams.

I have little experience with electronics...and new to dashcams but want to put a system in my new '22 BH, and do it myself...well I have no other option but to do it myself where I live :)

I am thinking to buy the Blackvue DR750X-2CH Plus and the Blackvue B-124X Battery Pack, hardwire the battery pack and then run the cameras off that when in Park Mode.

Can you please let me know which fuse you would tap into (I assume an internal fuse) so that the battery pack gets powered only when the ignition is on...and where exactly I would find it?

I don't have the kits yet but assume they would come with the taps and fuses I need.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
You want the battery pack plugged into F66

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/