5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Even if you are not at fault, they will likely try to make it a 50/50 responsibility. Dash cam footage will usually result in a 100% decision.

As stated already, worth their weight in gold. I won’t run without one.

n8zcc

Reaction score
The link doesn't work, because you haven't made the file public. We see the following.
So sorry. This is the first time I've ever tried this. It use to be I could call over one of the kids to help me out but the wife and I are empty-nesters these days and we have to fend for ourselves.

I think I have it right and here is a new link in case it changed.
1644341190170.png

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So sorry. This is the first time I've ever tried this. It use to be I could call over one of the kids to help me out but the wife and I are empty-nesters these days and we have to fend for ourselves.

View attachment 119969

That link works. It looks to me like the other driver was thinking about running before he decided to pull over.

A good example of the value of a dash cam.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

View attachment 119969

It can happen anywhere at any time. Better to be prepared than not ;) No disputing that video at all.

borden72

Reaction score
There is an abundance of dashcam offerings, all claiming to be the best of the best, pricing ranging from "how can it be that cheap" to "wow"! I went through several brands in my 2013, all were failures until I went with Garmins in both my trucks. Garmins have worked well but are pricy for what you get. For the new truck, I want a top-quality image sensor, front and rear camera, and easy wireless access to recorded videos. I came across this site when I was researching my new vehicle and then discovered this thread. I've read this thread three times, didn't want to miss anything and I took @securityguy advice, hard to argue with his experience and honesty. He has no skin in the game yet bends over backward helping anyone that reaches out to him. Other members have posted detailed installations and pictures (thank you @HockeyCowboy for the detailed pictures) that made my installation simple. I installed the 750 2ch in my new 2022 and will likely do the same to my 2015 3500 in the spring.

The problem with dashcams is finding the models that will work for you, with acceptable image quality in all conditions, in the extreme temperatures most of us face, the boiling southern sun, the bone-cold of the north, and continues to work day after day. Then there is the choice from the sea of sd-cards and which one for continuous recording in the operating extremes. @securityguy made this an easy choice and anyone following his advice has made a good decision and investment.
Yea, I've been looking but there's a ton of info on these and some of the important details gets hidden by the manufacturers. I don't need 4k but a higher fps provides the ability to freeze the screen to catch a plate a little better. I purchased 2 of these today so I can put one in the Ram and one in the Challenger.

Thanks to all for the great advice and install pics. This has been one of the best threads I have read in a while. Just a bunch of supporting information for all.

theeuroguy

Reaction score
I am seriously considering the Blackvue after reading all of these and recently getting sideswiped. Luckily damage was very minor, new running board, and he readily admitted fault. My question is about installation. I have 10 thumbs (on a good day!) so am going to pay to have it installed. I live in the DFW Metroplex and was l was hoping for suggestions on what to expect, and questions to ask. How much should I expect to pay? Thanks!!

n8zcc

Reaction score
I am seriously considering the Blackvue after reading all of these and recently getting sideswiped. Luckily damage was very minor, new running board, and he readily admitted fault. My question is about installation. I have 10 thumbs (on a good day!) so am going to pay to have it installed. I live in the DFW Metroplex and was l was hoping for suggestions on what to expect, and questions to ask. How much should I expect to pay? Thanks!!
I don't want to minimize an installation but from my facet, the easiest to the hardest is;

Use the power cord to power the camera and get a live view going on your smart device. Use this image to level the camera below the rearview mirror cowling. Do the same with the second camera on the back glass.

Route the wires inside the rearview mirror cowling, using the tool provided with the Blackview, tuck the cables under the headline over to the A-pillar and down it to the fuse box and the other down to the door threshold.

Using the fuse taps recommended in this thread and the pictures, connect the two power wires.

The hardest is running the cable for the second camera.

Do you have a friend that could help? I hate letting people work on my vehicle, I simply don't trust anyone but me.

Venom700

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips on here for a hardwire install. It was rather easy!

I also have to say I’ve been disappointed with https://www.thedashcamstore.com. They have incorrect information on their product pages for the BlackVue cameras (claiming some have 60fps when they don’t) and when questioned, they confirmed via email incorrect information. Not until I called and left a voicemail (they never answer) for which they left a voicemail back to me, do they admit the cameras don’t have it. My last email has gone unanswered and well, just beware their service isn’t that great as of now (not saying they didn’t have great service in the past).

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Another side note, you may want a dash cam with wifi capabilities as well. In case the police ask for the SD card, you will have back-up with the footage.

Heard about a case where the person who caused the accident was friends with the police officer at the scene who just happened to lose the SD card. Her insurance was going to accept it as her fault since the officer stated so in his report and there was no dash cam footage. Luckily her dash cam loaded the footage to the cloud and she was able to submit it to her insurance as proof to what really happened.

Venom700

Reaction score
Oh and don’t get the security case. When installing my cable got pulled tight and the camera unplugged despite the case being fully installed - it doesn’t do anything for the cables.

Venom700

Reaction score
Another side note, you may want a dash cam with wifi capabilities as well. In case the police ask for the SD card, you will have back-up with the footage.

Heard about a case where the person who caused the accident was friends with the police officer at the scene who just happened to lose the SD card. Her insurance was going to accept it as her fault since the officer stated so in his report and there was no dash cam footage. Luckily her dash cam loaded the footage to the cloud and she was able to submit it to her insurance as proof to what really happened.
Don’t give them the footage until they provide a warrant! Gives you plenty of time to get it downloaded.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don’t give them the footage until they provide a warrant! Gives you plenty of time to get it downloaded.

I heard that police can confiscate your dash cam footage if they believe it was involved in a crime without a warrant. Though I wonder how different the laws are state to state, the example I gave was from a friend in Texas.

I need to do some research on that, because it bothers me if someone can take my only piece of evidence in case of an incident.

ShortStack

Reaction score
You download the footage to your phone and email/text it to the investigating officer. Nobody walks off with your camera or SIM card. That would take a search warrant to obtain personal property. Otherwise, the case would be thrown out of court due to improperly obtained evidence. BUT - If you send it to him all is good.
If YOU are at fault, well then it is up to you. Main up and admit the guilt or put your bra on and go home. Just my opinion on that - nothing against anyone.

truckless

Reaction score

View attachment 119969

Was that the radio on or you really quiet? Almost sounds like a police scanner....I just get the lack of reaction ;)

This is a tiny snippet of me....lol A lot got edited out 😇

Last edited:

Ramjack

Reaction score

View attachment 119969

I honestly could not tell what happened in the video. To me, it looked like you hit a bump, then a car part went flying, then a guy in the other lane pulled over and you pulled over behind him. I'm glad the video helped you, though.

FMJ

Reaction score
I gotta say. I am extremely disappointed in any and all user interfaces for the Blackvue, and I regularly have to program micro computers, VFDs and PLCs at work. Think I may just toss it and stick with my GoPro...I am even more and completely disappointed in Blackboxmycar...

Users who are viewing this thread