5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've been running a dashcam in both my trucks for several years (been saved once by my dashcam). I had issues with most of them simply failing to work after a period of time (Cobra, Cowan to name a couple of brands) until I switched over to the Garmin dash cams, they have been working without issues for a few years in a Michigan climate. I do switch out the SD-Cards about once a year, never an issue with them.

I have a 2022 on order and want to add a front/rear dash cam set up to the 2022 as well as my 2015 RAM. So I'm looking at the BlackVue DR750X-2CH solution that I've read about in this thread. What I really want to know, has anyone been running a Blackview dashcam for three or more years in a diverse climate and how do they hold up over time?

I'm not afraid to invest in a quality dashcam solution, I just need to know what brands are a worthy investment. Thanks in advance.
I have been running Blackvue dash cams for many many years. Both when I lived in the Northeast where it would get very cold in the winter and hot in the Summer, and now in Florida for the past six years where it can get crazy hot. NEVER an issue with any of them. Blackvue and Thinkware are the two best cameras on the market and that's all they do is make dash cams. I HIGHLY recommend the DR750X-PLUS models...you will not be disappointed my friend. Happy New Year and ping me if you need and technical assistance with your installation.

Viking42

Reaction score
Hello @securityguy

I'm about to get myself a dashcam.,
I see lots of positive opinions about the blackvue 900 / 750 here
However lots of customer reviews are very negative:
- Tons of false parking mode notifications here and here
- battery drains
- low quality mobile app

There are no Viofo in my country, would you foresee any other model that would do, and keep up in parking mode when the car is off ??

Or are you 100% confirming that the blackvue is the best solution for parking mode/ battery connection we can have

Many thanks for your input!

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I know they are not popular but I have a pair of the Rexing V1P Max Dual Channels cams and they have been flawless.
I was getting a ton of parking false alarms when I first got them but after a firmware update, the alerts have been spot on.

I would like to try one of the Blackvue's to see how much better they are but for now I'm pretty happy.

The one area I would like to see improvement in is capturing moving license plates.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello @securityguy

I'm about to get myself a dashcam.,
I see lots of positive opinions about the blackvue 900 / 750 here
However lots of customer reviews are very negative:
- Tons of false parking mode notifications here and here
- battery drains
- low quality mobile app

There are no Viofo in my country, would you foresee any other model that would do, and keep up in parking mode when the car is off ??

Or are you 100% confirming that the blackvue is the best solution for parking mode/ battery connection we can have

Many thanks for your input!
Here are my thoughts my friend:

1. The falsing is USER ERROR. There are a ton of sensitivity adjustments that can be performed through the APP which include UP & DOWN, Front to back and Side to Side motion. Once set correctly, and to your liking, you will have ZERO false alerts. Most people never make any adjustments and the factory default is on the side of highly sensitive
2. You will have battery drain if you do not have a Power Magic Pro, or a dash cam like the DR750X/DR900X that has the PMP built-in where you can adjust the voltage threshold via the APP to ensure you will never have a dead battery as a result of using Parking Mode
3. The Mobile APP has been significantly upgraded and is easy to use and VERY robust, so I am unclear what folks would be complaining about

I, personally, like the DR750X-PLUS as it has the upgraded Sony Starvis sensor and will record 60 frames/second. The DR900X only records 30 framer/sec. I don't believe that the video quality of the DR900 is that much better than the DR750 or worth the extra cash. I would recommend you get the DR750X-Plus and then call me if you need help installing it or setting it up the way that will be best for you. Thinkware is another excellent camera and rivals that of the Blackvue. The VIOFO is a nice economical camera as is the REXING that @OCD Solutions recommended above and is a knock-off of the VIOFO. I have also installed a few Vantrue cameras that have proven to be very nice as well.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Southside

Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone in this tread, it is very useful and answered almost all of my questions about what to order for a dash cam.

I'm going to order the DR900X-plus from the dashcamstore.com and there is an option for a "Polarizing Filter" would you recommend this?

Thanks,

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone in this tread, it is very useful and answered almost all of my questions about what to order for a dash cam.

I'm going to order the DR900X-plus from the dashcamstore.com and there is an option for a "Polarizing Filter" would you recommend this?

Thanks,
Yes, get the filter and buy THIS SD card in the link below and not the one from the dashcamstore.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
60 FPS would go a long way to improve the image clarity of license plates caught in motion so that's worth a look right there.

How does the app and interface of the Blackvue compare to the Rexing for connecting and pulling video?
If I'm truly being honest, the Rexing is manageable but leaves alot to be desired when it comes to pulling footage.
Pulling a single parking lot alert is a minimum of 10 minutes abd gets more painful each time I do it.
Most times I'll opt for pulling the chip and reviewing on a PC later rather then even bothering with the App. Even parking lot alerts, I'll do a walk-around for damage and then wait to pull the vid later if I can't spot any damage.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
60 FPS would go a long way to improve the image clarity of license plates caught in motion so that's worth a look right there.

How does the app and interface of the Blackvue compare to the Rexing for connecting and pulling video?
If I'm truly being honest, the Rexing is manageable but leaves alot to be desired when it comes to pulling footage.
Pulling a single parking lot alert is a minimum of 10 minutes abd gets more painful each time I do it.
Most times I'll opt for pulling the chip and reviewing on a PC later rather then even bothering with the App. Even parking lot alerts, I'll do a walk-around for damage and then wait to pull the vid later if I can't spot any damage.
That's why I like the DR750X-Plus with 60fps versus 30fps. The Blackvue app was just upgraded a few months back and is AWESOME. You can directly connect to the camera via the app versus having to connect to the cameras wi-fi through the phone first and then going into the dash cam app. Once you connect...it takes like 5 seconds, you see all of your 1 minute video clips for both the front and rear cameras. The Blackvue breaks all recordings down into 1-minute snippets which is nice for fast downloads and only getting exactly what you want. You can then watch it on your phone or, if you want to download to your phone, you just click the download and wallah...it's done and saved as a video in your phones video/photo section so VERY fast and easy to do.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
I have a DR750X-Plus and a Uniden R7 installed that I received for Christmas. I needed some advice on where to run the wires to hardwire the units and Securityguy helped me out. I'm in Denver and he is in Florida and he gave me his phone number and took the time to talk to me about how he wired the units in his truck. I did the same install for the units in my truck. I will take some pictures in a bit and put them on here as well. My first thought about the camera is that it's great, the image is awesome and the info you get on the Blackvue site is nice because you can easily view whatever video you want. Much thanks to Securityguy!

The only question I have is - for those that are using the cloud connection for the videos from the camera, are you using the in truck Wi-Fi hotspot or did you install the LTE unit that you can buy from Blackvue? I am thinking about going one of those two routes.

Oh, and the customer service at The DashCam Store is great! I highly recommend them!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a DR750X-Plus and a Uniden R7 installed that I received for Christmas. I needed some advice on where to run the wires to hardwire the units and Securityguy helped me out. I'm in Denver and he is in Florida and he gave me his phone number and took the time to talk to me about how he wired the units in his truck. I did the same install for the units in my truck. I will take some pictures in a bit and put them on here as well. My first thought about the camera is that it's great, the image is awesome and the info you get on the Blackvue site is nice because you can easily view whatever video you want. Much thanks to Securityguy!

The only question I have is - for those that are using the cloud connection for the videos from the camera, are you using the in truck Wi-Fi hotspot or did you install the LTE unit that you can buy from Blackvue? I am thinking about going one of those two routes.

Oh, and the customer service at The DashCam Store is great! I highly recommend them!
Thanks my friend and you can call me anytime. If you want to take full access of the cloud-based services, you will need the LTE unit as I do not believe that the vehicles hot-spot functions with the vehicle off. If you use the LTE, you may also want to look into an external battery pack to power your camera so you'll have ample power to drive everything in Parking Mode for an extended period of time. I can walk you through the installation of this as well if needed.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Thanks my friend and you can call me anytime. If you want to take full access of the cloud-based services, you will need the LTE unit as I do not believe that the vehicles hot-spot functions with the vehicle off. If you use the LTE, you may also want to look into an external battery pack to power your camera so you'll have ample power to drive everything in Parking Mode for an extended period of time. I can walk you through the installation of this as well if needed.

Thanks for the quick response. I will look at that and may take you up on the offer for assistance.

For anyone considering doing this themselves...it was very simple. Just make sure that you know what you are doing before-hand!

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have the same exact equipment waiting to be installed!! Truck arrived today so it wont be on the shelf much longer. and congrats!

n8zcc

Reaction score
Yes, get the filter and buy THIS SD card in the link below and not the one from the dashcamstore.

How does the polarizing filter affect night recording?
Why this SD-CARD over the SanDisk MAX Endurance?

Also want to take this opportunity to say thank you for your straightforward advice and for sharing your experiences. You have made it very easy for me (and others I'm sure) to select what hardware is going into my new Longhorn. I'm going with the BlackVue DR750XPlus 2 channel.

ItsAllMine.jpg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
How does the polarizing filter affect night recording?
Why this SD-CARD over the SanDisk MAX Endurance?

Also want to take this opportunity to say thank you for your straightforward advice and for sharing your experiences. You have made it very easy for me (and others I'm sure) to select what hardware is going into my new Longhorn. I'm going with the BlackVue DR750XPlus 2 channel.
You are very welcome my friend and PM me if you need any help or have questions and I'll give you my cell number. Great looking truck!

The filter has no impact at night so no issues there. I have found that Samsung cards work best. Some folks have issues with SanDisk as some cards and thumb drives come preloaded with software on them that can impact the cards performance in a dash cam. The beauty about Amazon is that you can try a card and, if it fails to work properly, you can return it. I have never had a single hiccup with the Samsung card and I have been using them for about 6 years.

What most folks also do not know is that you will want to format your card every month without fail regardless of what brand camera you have. Formatting once a month dramatically increases the life expectancy of the card. I do all of my formatting with the card in the camera through the Blackvue app on the first of every month like clock work. You will get years of trouble free recording if you do this and it is also highly recommended by the manufacturer as the wear and tear on these SD cards is high based on the constant recording.

As an aside, I just bought the wife a loaded 2022 Volvo S60 AWD on Wednesday and my Blackvue DR750X-2CH Plus is on order;)

jlinsenbardt

Reaction score
I know they are not popular but I have a pair of the Rexing V1P Max Dual Channels cams and they have been flawless.
I was getting a ton of parking false alarms when I first got them but after a firmware update, the alerts have been spot on.

I would like to try one of the Blackvue's to see how much better they are but for now I'm pretty happy.

The one area I would like to see improvement in is capturing moving license plates.
I bought a Rexing V1P 3rd Gen Dual Channel for my wife's Audi last year and love it.

I just bought the Rexing V1P 4k Dual Channel to put in the RAM once I get it.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I bought a Rexing V1P 3rd Gen Dual Channel for my wife's Audi last year and love it.

I just bought the Rexing V1P 4k Dual Channel to put in the RAM once I get it.

Trying to see the difference between that one and the ones I bought besides yours being $100 cheaper.

Mine was the Max model but the specs seem identical at a quick glance.

jlinsenbardt

Reaction score
The V1P MAX has GPS, Wi-Fi, and Mobile App capability. Mine does not have GPS.

• BUILT-IN GPS, WI-FI, AND MOBILE APP - Use our mobile app to view and manage dash cam recordings instantly on your iOS and Android devices. By using the app you can download your recorded 4k videos directly to your smartphone and easily share these on social media. GPS accurately records your driving location and speed. View your driving route and tracker on google maps via Rexing GPS Player or Rexing Connect App.

Users who are viewing this thread