5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Well, there is nothing “instant” about the Wi-Fi connection and downloads but all the other features are spot on and useful to have. I’d pop the extra $100 just for GPS alone.

n8zcc

Reaction score
@securityguy
I've received my DR750-2CH and have it running on my bench. I wanted to see the current consumption of the 750 while in parking mode. With the rear camera set to record in park mode, and park mode set to motion and impact, all motion zones unchecked, the current consumption is 320 ma. That is a lot, more than I expected just to run G sensors. I don't know how the designers of the 750 manage the internal power budget but it looks like all electronics are on.

If I set park mode up to constantly record (both cameras), the current draw remains the same. Makes little sense why they offer G sense recording mode only, I would think it was a mode that would reduce current. I understand the voltage monitor built-in and I guess that will save me from having a battery that can't start the vehicle.

Either parking mode, or in driving mode, the meter shows the same 320ma current draw from the 750.

Am I missing anything or not understanding something?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@securityguy
I've received my DR750-2CH and have it running on my bench. I wanted to see the current consumption of the 750 while in parking mode. With the rear camera set to record in park mode, and park mode set to motion and impact, all motion zones unchecked, the current consumption is 320 ma. That is a lot, more than I expected just to run G sensors. I don't know how the designers of the 750 manage the internal power budget but it looks like all electronics are on.

If I set park mode up to constantly record (both cameras), the current draw remains the same. Makes little sense why they offer G sense recording mode only, I would think it was a mode that would reduce current. I understand the voltage monitor built-in and I guess that will save me from having a battery that can't start the vehicle.

Either parking mode, or in driving mode, the meter shows the same 320ma current draw from the 750.

Am I missing anything or not understanding something?
It is what it is. I didn’t design the electronics, but I do find it interesting that current draw is the same in different modes. I will say I have been using Blackvue cameras for many years and never had an issue with my vehicles battery if the power settings are done correctly on the camera. As long as I can get 2 days of recording, I’m fine with that. If you desire more, this is why manufactures offer external battery packs so the vehicle battery will never be compromised.

n8zcc

Reaction score
It is what it is. I didn’t design the electronics, but I do find it interesting that current draw is the same in different modes. I will say I have been using Blackvue cameras for many years and never had an issue with my vehicles battery if the power settings are done correctly on the camera. As long as I can get 2 days of recording, I’m fine with that. If you desire more, this is why manufactures offer external battery packs so the vehicle battery will never be compromised.
I'm good with it albeit it was a surprise to see the current draw unaffected by recording modes. If my memory serves me, and it has been a few years since I retired from the automotive world, the spec from auto manufacturers wanted a healthy battery to be able to start an engine after 30 days of sitting idle, for example, airport parking. 30 days of running the 750 would cost around 230 amps.

Now I realize the value of the 750 having the voltage threshold monitor which was a wise choice by the designers. But I've got to test that to be sure it functions as described, I don't like surprises and we all know Murphy strikes at the least opportune time. I'm thinking about adding an on/off switch on the 12vdc constant feed so I can conveniently disable park mode when I'm parked at home for a few days.

I just wanted to run what I saw past you to be sure I wasn't missing or overlooking something.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm good with it albeit it was a surprise to see the current draw unaffected by recording modes. If my memory serves me, and it has been a few years since I retired from the automotive world, the spec from auto manufacturers wanted a healthy battery to be able to start an engine after 30 days of sitting idle, for example, airport parking. 30 days of running the 750 would cost around 230 amps.

Now I realize the value of the 750 having the voltage threshold monitor which was a wise choice by the designers. But I've got to test that to be sure it functions as described, I don't like surprises and we all know Murphy strikes at the least opportune time. I'm thinking about adding an on/off switch on the 12vdc constant feed so I can conveniently disable park mode when I'm parked at home for a few days.

I just wanted to run what I saw past you to be sure I wasn't missing or overlooking something.
The Power Magic Pro interface gives you that on/off switch you desire and was designed for cameras that do not have the voltage monitor built in. However, with the new "X" models having the PMP built in, you certainly have to option to put a small SPST switch on the battery input to shut it down completely when desired.

As you well know, car batteries are not what they use to be. Most are all pieces of crap that have a 2-3 year life expectancy. If your vehicle can sit for a week now a days and not have trouble starting...you're ahead of the game!

n8zcc

Reaction score
As you well know, car batteries are not what they use to be. Most are all pieces of crap that have a 2-3 year life expectancy. If your vehicle can sit for a week now a days and not have trouble starting...you're ahead of the game!
Car batteries are a duck-shoot. The factory battery in my 2013 lasted 7 years, my wife's Equinox battery made it 8 years, and the 2 batteries in my 2015 RAM Cummins are still offering strong outputs.

It gets better, the factory battery in my 2008 Kubota tractor is still going strong as is the battery in my 12-year-old Kubota mower, both diesels. The RV battery is a 2015 and it is running strong, same with the batteries in my dump trailer, the two trolling motor batteries in my boat as well as the 2 boat crank batteries.

Now that I've exposed all that, better go find my checkbook because Murphy will be looking for me.

Don't know why I'm so lucky with batteries.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Car batteries are a duck-shoot. The factory battery in my 2013 lasted 7 years, my wife's Equinox battery made it 8 years, and the 2 batteries in my 2015 RAM Cummins are still offering strong outputs.

It gets better, the factory battery in my 2008 Kubota tractor is still going strong as is the battery in my 12-year-old Kubota mower, both diesels. The RV battery is a 2015 and it is running strong, same with the batteries in my dump trailer, the two trolling motor batteries in my boat as well as the 2 boat crank batteries.

Now that I've exposed all that, better go find my checkbook because Murphy will be looking for me.

Don't know why I'm so lucky with batteries.
Dead on about the ####-Shoot. It’s a hit and miss for me. Wish I had your luck!

scubes13

Reaction score
So, what are the use cases for having forward and rear facing cameras within our trucks?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, what are the use cases for having forward and rear facing cameras within our trucks?
From a dash cam perspective...simply to capture idiots driving that may create an accident. To capture someone rear ending you or a road-rage situation. To capture what happened in front of you prior to and after a collision. To capture the vehicle while parked incase someone hits and damages your vehicle in a parking lot/garage. There are a TON of reason to get one and, when something happens to you that becomes a he said...she said, and you have no video proof, you will better understand its value;)

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
From a dash cam perspective...simply to capture idiots driving that may create an accident. To capture someone rear ending you or a road-rage situation. To capture what happened in front of you prior to and after a collision. To capture the vehicle while parked incase someone hits and damages your vehicle in a parking lot/garage. There are a TON of reason to get one and, when something happens to you that becomes a he said...she said, and you have no video proof, you will better understand its value;)

If we are talking about the OEM cameras, they create the 360 degree birds-eye view of your vehicle when parking.
Wish we had for my daughters car a month ago. Girl changed lanes in front of her and other car was stopped and jumped in her lane. Could look like my daughters fault since on her front but obviously the other drivers fault...wish we had the cam so no dispute.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wish we had for my daughters car a month ago. Girl changed lanes in front of her and other car was stopped and jumped in her lane. Could look like my daughters fault since on her front but obviously the other drivers fault...wish we had the cam so no dispute.
Totally agree...and for those on a tight budget, a VIOFO or REXING from the www.thedashcamstore.com or off Amazon for around $100 or so is far better than having nothing!

n8zcc

Reaction score
I don't frequent this site much but I'm glad I stopped by. I am doing my homework on the dash cams and I am taking @securityguy 's advice on the 750 cam.

Also, the dashcamstore offers a first responder and military 10% discount.
There is an abundance of dashcam offerings, all claiming to be the best of the best, pricing ranging from "how can it be that cheap" to "wow"! I went through several brands in my 2013, all were failures until I went with Garmins in both my trucks. Garmins have worked well but are pricy for what you get. For the new truck, I want a top-quality image sensor, front and rear camera, and easy wireless access to recorded videos. I came across this site when I was researching my new vehicle and then discovered this thread. I've read this thread three times, didn't want to miss anything and I took @securityguy advice, hard to argue with his experience and honesty. He has no skin in the game yet bends over backward helping anyone that reaches out to him. Other members have posted detailed installations and pictures (thank you @HockeyCowboy for the detailed pictures) that made my installation simple. I installed the 750 2ch in my new 2022 and will likely do the same to my 2015 3500 in the spring.

The problem with dashcams is finding the models that will work for you, with acceptable image quality in all conditions, in the extreme temperatures most of us face, the boiling southern sun, the bone-cold of the north, and continues to work day after day. Then there is the choice from the sea of sd-cards and which one for continuous recording in the operating extremes. @securityguy made this an easy choice and anyone following his advice has made a good decision and investment.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't frequent this site much but I'm glad I stopped by. I am doing my homework on the dash cams and I am taking @securityguy 's advice on the 750 cam.

Also, the dashcamstore offers a first responder and military 10% discount.
Happy to help my friend and don't hesitate to call me when you're ready to start your installation!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is an abundance of dashcam offerings, all claiming to be the best of the best, pricing ranging from "how can it be that cheap" to "wow"! I went through several brands in my 2013, all were failures until I went with Garmins in both my trucks. Garmins have worked well but are pricy for what you get. For the new truck, I want a top-quality image sensor, front and rear camera, and easy wireless access to recorded videos. I came across this site when I was researching my new vehicle and then discovered this thread. I've read this thread three times, didn't want to miss anything and I took @securityguy advice, hard to argue with his experience and honesty. He has no skin in the game yet bends over backward helping anyone that reaches out to him. Other members have posted detailed installations and pictures (thank you @HockeyCowboy for the detailed pictures) that made my installation simple. I installed the 750 2ch in my new 2022 and will likely do the same to my 2015 3500 in the spring.

The problem with dashcams is finding the models that will work for you, with acceptable image quality in all conditions, in the extreme temperatures most of us face, the boiling southern sun, the bone-cold of the north, and continues to work day after day. Then there is the choice from the sea of sd-cards and which one for continuous recording in the operating extremes. @securityguy made this an easy choice and anyone following his advice has made a good decision and investment.
Thanks for the kind words my friend. I enjoy helping others and steering folks down a solid path. You are correct...there are a TON of dash cams out there and things can become very confusing very fast. You can spend $50 on a camera on Amazon or up to $500 at "thedashcamstore" or "blackboxmycar"...it's all about what you want/need and will it truly accomplish the task. If anyone has any questions at all on the topic, please feel free to PM me and we can share cell numbers and talk off-line.

To all of our members, if you have never thought of installing one, you should think seriously about it. Too many crazies out there and all it takes is one incident for the camera to more than pay for itself in today's "he said - she said" world as no one wants to take responsibility for what they've done. Getting the video footage and showing the Police, Insurance Company, or the Judge will provide undisputed proof of what really occurred.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To all of our members, if you have never thought of installing one, you should think seriously about it. Too many crazies out there and all it takes is one incident for the camera to more than pay for itself in today's "he said - she said" world as no one wants to take responsibility for what they've done. Getting the video footage and showing the Police, Insurance Company, or the Judge will provide undisputed proof of what really occurred.
I can testify to that. The other guy's insurance wasn't moving because his story was different than ours. Once we sent them the video footage, that did not come close to matching his story, they immediately took full responsibility on a $7K+ claim. I will never not have a dash cam again, and I'm very very happy with the Blackvue... especially after having had some other units that were less than and/or just quit working.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can testify to that. The other guy's insurance wasn't moving because his story was different than ours. Once we sent them the video footage, that did not come close to matching his story, they immediately took full responsibility on a $7K+ claim. I will never not have a dash cam again, and I'm very very happy with the Blackvue... especially after having had some other units that were less than and/or just quit working.
Worth its weight in GOLD!

n8zcc

Reaction score
I have a story, it is about me, driving to work a few years ago. I had a dashcam and I was sideswiped. The other driver told the police I pulled into his lane and hit him. When the officer told me that, I said I have a dashcam and watch this video as he looked at my smartphone.

I was found as having 0% responsibility :) because of the dashcam footage. Even a pricy dashcam is very inexpensive when compared to the costs of a vehicle collision.

New link in post #165

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a story, it is about me, driving to work a few years ago. I had a dashcam and I was sideswiped. The other driver told the police I pulled into his lane and hit him. When the officer told me that, I said I have a dashcam and watch this video as he looked at my smartphone.

I would love to show the video, it will clearly show anyone why a dashcam is required equipment these days. The problem is I haven't a clue how to share the video, it is an MP4 about 32MB. I tried to upload it here but the forum said it was too big.

I'll try to share the video, see if this works.
You can convert it to a YouTube video and share that way.

Users who are viewing this thread