5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 20.9%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 84 51.5%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 18 11.0%

• Total voters

thedcp

Reaction score
Evidently you can get them color matched to your truck, takes 90 days. Considering it myself...

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Can anyone on here point me in the right direction of how to hook up the third brake light? The harness that it comes with seems like it is designed to plug into somewhere directly on the truck.

Update: I just realized they left out the harness that connects to the 7 pin connection. They only gave me the extension from the missing harness..

Last edited:

Ski Taxi

Reaction score
Has anyone put roof cross bars on top of one yet? It looks like they are going to sell load bars but they won't be available until January.
I had the cap installed a week ago, and was able to mount cross bars and a roof box a couple of days ago. Because the SmartCap was new, I was unable to find out what was needed to mount the bars in advance, so I had to go by trial and error once I got the box.

I used a Rhino Rack Vortex Aero System.

I used the following feet - https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/Rhino-Rack/RRRLT600H.html. Unfortunately the square nuts don't fit in the RSI tracks, and the only thing I could find that would were some oval nuts for a kayak mounting rail (best fit from a handful of options I tried were from MagiDeal on amazon). I would have preferred to use the Rhino Rack nuts, but at least the MagiDeal nuts are stainless and work with the Rhino Rack bolts. I will likely replace them when someone finds another solution.

I have the Vortex Aero 65 inch crossbars on the truck and they are absurdly wide (basically the width of the bed) and they look a little silly. Unless you are planning on putting multiple mounts on the bars, I would have gone with the 59, 54 or even 49 inch bars. The bars fit my Yakima Skybox 16 fine.

I did take a test drive up to about 80 mph any everything seems to be working and is quiet.

stevegads19

Reaction score
Can anyone on here point me in the right direction of how to hook up the third brake light? The harness that it comes with seems like it is designed to plug into somewhere directly on the truck.

Update: I just realized they left out the harness that connects to the 7 pin connection. They only gave me the extension from the missing harness..
I do not have the exact answer since i cannot find the wiring schematic but here is a video following the line from my third brake light on my topper. For orientation, i am laying down behind the driver's side of the rear bumper. Initially, the shop wired the topper to my taillight and it caused a short/miscommunication between the led taillight and the car computer. The shop located the wiring harness i attempted to video.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
So it turns out they are sending me the harness that goes in line with the 7 pin connector. You then use the small extension they supplied to connect to that harness, so no guessing and easy install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adventure Count

Reaction score
Can someone please measure the width of the top of their SmartCap? I’d like to know about how wide of a roof rack platform would fit best. Thanks!

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Can someone please measure the width of the top of their SmartCap? I’d like to know about how wide of a roof rack platform would fit best. Thanks!

44” from rail to rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Da MNTN

Reaction score
I’m really itching to get one after reading all of the success people have had with the cap. Did you run into any of the plastic trim warping on yours that other people have mentioned? Also, do you have any water get in the bed or is the seal pretty tight?

Btw, is your RAM Patriot Blue? Looks pretty sharp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hey Buddy,

Sorry for the late response.. its been a while

So no major issues with mine, the only thing that I have ran into is they have these small squares (that have adhesive on the back) that are falling off.. I don't think the installers installed them in the correct place. From what I can gather they are suppose to be placed under the cap where clamps will be placed.

1606707439814.png

For some reason the dealer I went to, installed them in between the clamps and the side.. so really maybe installer error.

Other than that, no water at all! It's been washed a bunch of times where I purposely try to see if I can get water in, and has been through some heavy rain.
  • Some minor annoyances:
    • Two locks on each side is annoying when getting in and out.. some of the PAP Caps have it where it can be automatic, and sync it with the rest of your vehicle.
    • I wish you could open the tailgate regardless of the top window. Because of the gasket, you have to always have the top window open, when operating the tailgate
    • That's it :)

PS - Truck color is Maximum Steel

Ski Taxi

Reaction score
I have the cap for a couple of weeks now.

The plastic bed rails are wavy/warped where the clamps are.

I have a bed rug with a rubber mat on top, and have noticed some minimal moisture a the very back of the bed. Assume its coming in from either the top or the sides of the tailgate. Will pull the rubber mat out to see if that lets it dry more readily.

pcripley2

Reaction score
I am close to pulling the trigger on this. By the time I price a topper with windoors and everything else I'd add, the price difference is not that much more than the competition. Well, it is still expensive, but not as bad. Another thing is lead time. RSI told me they are in stock and ready to ship, arrive in about a week. Leer and ARE are telling me 7-8 week lead time.
Id consider the additional weight affects on payload too

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Id consider the additional weight affects on payload too

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I weighed my Rebel completely empty with just myself in it at a local dump, it was 6000 lbs. I then put the RSI cap on, 1up bike rack single (30lbs) and it was 6230 lbs. So I think the cap is 200 lbs of payload.

Da MNTN

Reaction score
Looks great. Can you or any of thr other owners comment on whether you can close the rear hatch and open it again from the inside? Eg. Camping in thr topper?

Hmm off the top of my head, I don't think so. But I can verify tomorrow when I go out.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I don't think so but I thought I read on a forum somewhere that RSi was going to come out with a latch that allows that.

Ski Taxi

Reaction score
I did a 2.5 freeway trip through some incredibly heavy rain yesterday.

I did get some water coming in through the SmartCap roof vent. Not enough to cause a disaster, but enough to be a problem if I didn't expect it and found water damaged cargo a few days later. Don't know if it was the volume of the rainwater or the freeway speeds (or both) that caused the water intrusion, but wanted to let folks know.

DelmonicoDevil

Reaction score
Hi, first time caller here, love the caps but 2 (i think) big questions that noone seemed to ask was 1. How well do you think the seals are going to hold up if you are loading and unloading gear from the side? And 2. If you take the truck offroad (like I do) for camping or hunting, how well do you think those glass doors are going to hold up? Just want to be sure before I drop 4gs on a canopy.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Hi, first time caller here, love the caps but 2 (i think) big questions that noone seemed to ask was 1. How well do you think the seals are going to hold up if you are loading and unloading gear from the side? And 2. If you take the truck offroad (like I do) for camping or hunting, how well do you think those glass doors are going to hold up? Just want to be sure before I drop 4gs on a canopy.
1. I think the seals will hold up just fine. The amount of hardware hold that the pieces together is alot. And everything seems very well made and planned out.
2. I have taken it out on rough roads a handful of times. The windows seem VERY sturdy, so well made. Glass seems decently thick.
Everyone I have shown it to that have trucks and shells are overly impressed with the build quality.

I have no regrets and believe it will last a long time by just looking at how well it is made.

PHFT

Reaction score
I've taken it off road to our hunt camp and it held up great, the seals will be no issue, but the best part is if they are the company will just send you what you need and you can fix it in your driveway because its so modular.

and I found this video of a ford raptor going off a jump with the cap on, I'd say it'll hold up very well to anything you'll put it through.

Last edited:

DelmonicoDevil

Reaction score
I've taken it off road to our hunt camp and it held up great, the seals will be no issue, but the best part is if they are the company will just send you what you need and you can fix it in your driveway because its so modular.

and I found this video of a ford raptor going off a jump with the cap on, I'd say it'll hold up very well to anything you'll put it through.

Thank you for the video and your experience. I can't wait to get one!

Users who are viewing this thread