5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 20.9%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 84 51.5%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 18 11.0%

• Total voters

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got this in my email today. 0 interest financing for 6 months 0CB8B9D6-FFC0-4D0D-8CAE-ABF8ECFE081B.jpeg

Ski Taxi

Reaction score
Hello all - I'm very close to ordering one of these. First pickup and first cap, will be going on a short bed Rebel.

Any conventional wisdom emerging on these vs. other options? Any watch-outs or reservations?

In part I'm favoring the SmartCap as they seem to available immediately vs. Leer/ARE which have some significant lead times. My truck is black so the paint match isn't an issue. I don't love that I'll be a Beta tester for the installer but no avoiding that.

My sincere thanks in advance.

Da MNTN

Reaction score
Hello all - I'm very close to ordering one of these. First pickup and first cap, will be going on a short bed Rebel.

Any conventional wisdom emerging on these vs. other options? Any watch-outs or reservations?

In part I'm favoring the SmartCap as they seem to available immediately vs. Leer/ARE which have some significant lead times. My truck is black so the paint match isn't an issue. I don't love that I'll be a Beta tester for the installer but no avoiding that.

My sincere thanks in advance.

Hey Ski,

Check out my first post.. I kind go over why I chose this cap over others....

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has this cap installed! I have been going back and forth whether I want this very pricy yet very functional cap. But would like to see it on a RAM (non-promo shot). Attached are the promo shots from RSI (which look amazing). Also I tried photoshopping it on my truck, but I think its a tad high in my rendering (which I didn't like).

For those wondering why I may be considering dropping 4k on a top:

• Modular
  • Light Weight
  • High Capacity/load on the roof
  • Easily removable
  • All windows pop open (yes, there are other topper that do this, but are horrendous looking. With the fiberglass toppers, I only find the farmless ones to be decent looking).
  • The components for this thing are amazing, albeit they are expensive as heck, but very nice and very well thought out.

PS - They are running a giveaway! You can Click Here to enter!

Promo Shots [PSS - Who else thinks this RAM setup looks amazing, like what lift, wheels, and tires are on this thing?]:
View attachment 64103

View attachment 64104

View attachment 64105

EDIT, we finally have a few members that have installed the CAP! Read on for more info, but here are some shots from one of the installs:

View attachment 65707

View attachment 65708

View attachment 65709

View attachment 65710

Potown

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how much this thing weighs? I would assume you two or more people to install it but just wondering as I didnt see that info anywhere on their website.

Thanks!

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how much this thing weighs? I would assume you two or more people to install it but just wondering as I didnt see that info anywhere on their website.

Thanks!
160-200lbs, Depends on the model and size.
Two-person install is recommended.

PHFT

Reaction score
Hello, long time listener first time caller...

I had been wanting to get a truck cap since I acquired my truck back in Oct '19. I got quotes from Leer and ARE caps with windoors, fold down front window, roof rack tracks, wiring provisions, anywhere from $3200 to $3500 installed and but I was hesitant in pulling the trigger considering some of the craftsmanship issues I have read/viewed from owners reviews were a little disconcerting. I think in the beginning of the year RSI released some information they were coming to the US with the initial release for the F150. Pricing was not that much more (versus the quotes I was getting for the Leer/ARE) for what appeared to be a better quality product being all steel construction, larger side windows and an attractive contemporary design. So I partook and probably unnecessary, the pre-order when the Ram 1500 SmartCap was announced.

My cap finally arrived in late July at my local authorized dealer and I took delivery. The SmartCap comes in two boxes, one for the roof panel and a refrigerator-sized box for all of the other panels, installation hardware, seals and instructions. When I was prepping for assembly, I laid down the roof box and I noticed the lower corner of the box had torn away from the underside of the box. I did not cut away the plastic straps and open the box and instead looked inside where the box was damaged and I could tell the roof was also damaged and appeared to have been dropped on that corner. All of the other components in the other box were undamaged and so I returned the roof the next day to the dealer. After a hiccup in getting the replacement roof in, I finally got it a week later. I want to add that I had no push-back whatsoever with the dealer and they were very accommodating which was a relief. The installation is pretty straight forward and having another person to assist will be helpful. Putting this on you will need some extra help, 3-4 people. Fine tuning the final location of the cap on the bed is easier if you get inside the bed and push up from the middle of the cap to not disturb the bulb seals on the underside of the cap. I could have positioned the cap tight behind the truck cab but since I will be using the truck on back country trails I moved it back about an inch to 2-inches to prevent any damage to the cab or cap. I'm still waiting for the 3rd brake light wire harness adapter from RSI which was supposed to be included with the rest of the kit and after talking with the rep he confirmed this.

Besides playing the waiting game and then having to get the roof replaced AND still waiting for the harness to complete the install, I'm still happy with the cap and have no regerts at this time. I definitely would advise RSI to package and protect these caps better especially the roof since there is no extra reinforcement of the box or any padding like foam to protect the corners of the roof.

View attachment 66510 View attachment 66511
Any chance you want to post more pictures haha, I am really thinking about getting this, how's it holding up so far?

Potown

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to contact Smartcap and see about getting a group buy deal for our Forum group? I was a part of another forum group for honda's about 10 years ago and they would often get group deals from different vendors if they could get a bunch of people to commit to buying them at once. Just a thought.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to contact Smartcap and see about getting a group buy deal for our Forum group? I was a part of another forum group for honda's about 10 years ago and they would often get group deals from different vendors if they could get a bunch of people to commit to buying them at once. Just a thought.

I haven’t but I am in if someone puts one together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHFT

Reaction score
Came across this thread late in my research on this bed cap, but it just helped make my decision, I pulled the trigger and ordered one yesterday at 2pm and decided on delivery to the local dealer here in Ontario Canada because it was free and only a 30 minute drive from me. They just called me at 11:40am today to let me know the cap arrived and is ready to be picked up. I have to say I was very impressed and was not expecting it to arrive less than 24hrs after ordering, especially with everything going on. Will install it over the weekend, pictures coming soon!

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Came across this thread late in my research on this bed cap, but it just helped make my decision, I pulled the trigger and ordered one yesterday at 2pm and decided on delivery to the local dealer here in Ontario Canada because it was free and only a 30 minute drive from me. They just called me at 11:40am today to let me know the cap arrived and is ready to be picked up. I have to say I was very impressed and was not expecting it to arrive less than 24hrs after ordering, especially with everything going on. Will install it over the weekend, pictures coming soon!

Can’t wait to see pics, you may sway my decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHARK

Reaction score
Hello, long time listener first time caller...

I had been wanting to get a truck cap since I acquired my truck back in Oct '19. I got quotes from Leer and ARE caps with windoors, fold down front window, roof rack tracks, wiring provisions, anywhere from $3200 to $3500 installed and but I was hesitant in pulling the trigger considering some of the craftsmanship issues I have read/viewed from owners reviews were a little disconcerting. I think in the beginning of the year RSI released some information they were coming to the US with the initial release for the F150. Pricing was not that much more (versus the quotes I was getting for the Leer/ARE) for what appeared to be a better quality product being all steel construction, larger side windows and an attractive contemporary design. So I partook and probably unnecessary, the pre-order when the Ram 1500 SmartCap was announced.

My cap finally arrived in late July at my local authorized dealer and I took delivery. The SmartCap comes in two boxes, one for the roof panel and a refrigerator-sized box for all of the other panels, installation hardware, seals and instructions. When I was prepping for assembly, I laid down the roof box and I noticed the lower corner of the box had torn away from the underside of the box. I did not cut away the plastic straps and open the box and instead looked inside where the box was damaged and I could tell the roof was also damaged and appeared to have been dropped on that corner. All of the other components in the other box were undamaged and so I returned the roof the next day to the dealer. After a hiccup in getting the replacement roof in, I finally got it a week later. I want to add that I had no push-back whatsoever with the dealer and they were very accommodating which was a relief. The installation is pretty straight forward and having another person to assist will be helpful. Putting this on you will need some extra help, 3-4 people. Fine tuning the final location of the cap on the bed is easier if you get inside the bed and push up from the middle of the cap to not disturb the bulb seals on the underside of the cap. I could have positioned the cap tight behind the truck cab but since I will be using the truck on back country trails I moved it back about an inch to 2-inches to prevent any damage to the cab or cap. I'm still waiting for the 3rd brake light wire harness adapter from RSI which was supposed to be included with the rest of the kit and after talking with the rep he confirmed this.

Besides playing the waiting game and then having to get the roof replaced AND still waiting for the harness to complete the install, I'm still happy with the cap and have no regerts at this time. I definitely would advise RSI to package and protect these caps better especially the roof since there is no extra reinforcement of the box or any padding like foam to protect the corners of the roof.

View attachment 66510 View attachment 66511
Can you post more pictures of your truck with the cap if you don’t mind. I have the same exactly truck and ready to pull the trigger in one of these. I wanted white but the only white cap that they have available is the Commercial model with no side sliding windows so I was skeptical to get a black cap once my truck is white until I saw your setup. More pictures will help to expedite the process lol thank you.

LDV

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has this cap installed! I have been going back and forth whether I want this very pricy yet very functional cap. But would like to see it on a RAM (non-promo shot). Attached are the promo shots from RSI (which look amazing). Also I tried photoshopping it on my truck, but I think its a tad high in my rendering (which I didn't like).

For those wondering why I may be considering dropping 4k on a top:

• Modular
  • Light Weight
  • High Capacity/load on the roof
  • Easily removable
  • All windows pop open (yes, there are other topper that do this, but are horrendous looking. With the fiberglass toppers, I only find the farmless ones to be decent looking).
  • The components for this thing are amazing, albeit they are expensive as heck, but very nice and very well thought out.

PS - They are running a giveaway! You can Click Here to enter!

Promo Shots [PSS - Who else thinks this RAM setup looks amazing, like what lift, wheels, and tires are on this thing?]:
View attachment 64103

View attachment 64104

View attachment 64105

EDIT, we finally have a few members that have installed the CAP! Read on for more info, but here are some shots from one of the installs:

View attachment 65707

View attachment 65708

View attachment 65709

View attachment 65710
Here is mine on my 2020 Rebel. Highly recommend. 20201029_132308.jpg 20201029_132145.jpg 20201029_132237.jpg

Attachments

• 20201029_132134.jpg
    20201029_132134.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 134

LDV

Reaction score
Looks great. How much space between the cap and the back window/third brake light? How do you feel the coverage on the tailgate is? Does the tailgate open easily with cap locked and closed?
On mine there is about 0.5" - 0.75" between the cab and the back window. The coverage on the tailgate is adequate. I can open it with the cap closed, but it seems to be kind of tight when doing so. I will probably open the cap before the tailgate when I use it just to be easier on the seal, but you dont have to. I have the multifunction tailgate and the side opening with the cap closed is no problem.

Ski Taxi

Reaction score
For for SmartCap adopters - has anyone put cross bars on using the tracks in the roof? I have a SmartCap on order and need to get my rooftop box up there quickly and am worried about parts being in short supply.

I ideally would like to know what Yakima base/foot option works with the RSI track so I can leverage some of my other Yakima components.

But because I'll be pressed for time I'm open to using Thule or any other system that others have used as I don't have time to experiment before an upcoming trip.

My thanks in advance if anyone has any experience here.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
On mine there is about 0.5" - 0.75" between the cab and the back window. The coverage on the tailgate is adequate. I can open it with the cap closed, but it seems to be kind of tight when doing so. I will probably open the cap before the tailgate when I use it just to be easier on the seal, but you dont have to. I have the multifunction tailgate and the side opening with the cap closed is no problem.
Does your Ram have the LED light for bed at third brake light? Mine came with the tech where there is a camera in the third brake light for the rearview mirror and I am worried it sticks out further than normal. I would appreciate a photo from the top looking down at the brake light and camper shell to see what that looks like if possible.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread