5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 20.9%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 84 51.5%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 18 11.0%

• Total voters

parnine

Reaction score
How
I just bought one of these. ....
Nice to see it on 5th Gen RAM.

How does it fit? In the pic it looks a little small (width side to side does not seem to come to the edge of the bed side rails for example). Is this a optical illusion or is it 'kinda narrow'?

Also how about the rear door seal on the tailgate?

Da MNTN

Reaction score
I just bought one of these. I ordered it and went and picked it up the next day as it had been delivered to a local dealer. I was surprised that it has a 24 hour delivery time estimated. I have not had other caps so I cannot give a comparison. This is a strong cap for sure and looks good. They can't color match right now, but I figured I could get this done down the road if I wanted to. It was so humid out today it took me a while to put together by myself mostly. My wife helped me a couple times. After I put it together I went a hollered at 3 different neighbors to give me a hand putting this on. It wasn't to bad with 4 people, but definitely needed really. I have a hoist I could have used, but didn't want to take the chance of messing it up. I wouldn't have seen this model if not have been for this post. I love forums and the information you can get from seeing someone else do something. I have not hooked up the rear brake light up and I will probably have someone else do it. I was not able to find the brake wire underneath the truck like I have read and seen on some YouTube videos. View attachment 65662

This is SO awesome!!! Dude can you take some more pics? Side, angled, front, from afar a little, inside!! lol Sorry im excited for you!!

Also where you located?

smikels

Reaction score
Here is a few more pictures as requested. I have no plans or anything for it yet. My next item might be a pull out tray (CargoGlide) for the bed to help with loading items in the back. I live in Suffolk, Va.

IMG_0539[1].JPG IMG_0540[1].JPG IMG_0541[1].JPG IMG_0544[1].JPG IMG_0542[1].JPG IMG_0543[1].JPG

Last edited:

Da MNTN

Reaction score
Here is a few more pictures as requested. I have no plans or anything for it yet. My next item might be a pull out tray (CargoGlide) for the bed to help with loading items in the back. I live in Suffolk, Va.

View attachment 65695 View attachment 65696 View attachment 65697 View attachment 65698 View attachment 65699 View attachment 65700

Thanks man! Really appreciate! Looks great!!

BTW if you don't end up going the cargo slide route, check out decked.

I have their drawer system, and absolutely love it. Should pair well with your new awesome top!

tom318

Reaction score

rotts4u

Reaction score
Which Cap is this ? ARE Z2?

Yeah it pricey, but it has somethings to differentiate it including the static weight capacity you pointed out. But my favorite things are how easily it would be to remove, its overall weight, and how every window on it is a popup (with small sliders on each side) standard, and state the rest in the OG post.

But I like your call out about its overall look. It does have the overland look, and lol I think that's why I'm attracted to it. It kind of knocks the grandpa off the “pap cap” look.
It is the REVO

350TX

Reaction score
Hello, long time listener first time caller...

I had been wanting to get a truck cap since I acquired my truck back in Oct '19. I got quotes from Leer and ARE caps with windoors, fold down front window, roof rack tracks, wiring provisions, anywhere from $3200 to $3500 installed and but I was hesitant in pulling the trigger considering some of the craftsmanship issues I have read/viewed from owners reviews were a little disconcerting. I think in the beginning of the year RSI released some information they were coming to the US with the initial release for the F150. Pricing was not that much more (versus the quotes I was getting for the Leer/ARE) for what appeared to be a better quality product being all steel construction, larger side windows and an attractive contemporary design. So I partook and probably unnecessary, the pre-order when the Ram 1500 SmartCap was announced.

My cap finally arrived in late July at my local authorized dealer and I took delivery. The SmartCap comes in two boxes, one for the roof panel and a refrigerator-sized box for all of the other panels, installation hardware, seals and instructions. When I was prepping for assembly, I laid down the roof box and I noticed the lower corner of the box had torn away from the underside of the box. I did not cut away the plastic straps and open the box and instead looked inside where the box was damaged and I could tell the roof was also damaged and appeared to have been dropped on that corner. All of the other components in the other box were undamaged and so I returned the roof the next day to the dealer. After a hiccup in getting the replacement roof in, I finally got it a week later. I want to add that I had no push-back whatsoever with the dealer and they were very accommodating which was a relief. The installation is pretty straight forward and having another person to assist will be helpful. Putting this on you will need some extra help, 3-4 people. Fine tuning the final location of the cap on the bed is easier if you get inside the bed and push up from the middle of the cap to not disturb the bulb seals on the underside of the cap. I could have positioned the cap tight behind the truck cab but since I will be using the truck on back country trails I moved it back about an inch to 2-inches to prevent any damage to the cab or cap. I'm still waiting for the 3rd brake light wire harness adapter from RSI which was supposed to be included with the rest of the kit and after talking with the rep he confirmed this.

Besides playing the waiting game and then having to get the roof replaced AND still waiting for the harness to complete the install, I'm still happy with the cap and have no regerts at this time. I definitely would advise RSI to package and protect these caps better especially the roof since there is no extra reinforcement of the box or any padding like foam to protect the corners of the roof.

P8182452.JPG P8182446.JPG

Da MNTN

Reaction score
Hello, long time listener first time caller...

I had been wanting to get a truck cap since I acquired my truck back in Oct '19. I got quotes from Leer and ARE caps with windoors, fold down front window, roof rack tracks, wiring provisions, anywhere from $3200 to $3500 installed and but I was hesitant in pulling the trigger considering some of the craftsmanship issues I have read/viewed from owners reviews were a little disconcerting. I think in the beginning of the year RSI released some information they were coming to the US with the initial release for the F150. Pricing was not that much more (versus the quotes I was getting for the Leer/ARE) for what appeared to be a better quality product being all steel construction, larger side windows and an attractive contemporary design. So I partook and probably unnecessary, the pre-order when the Ram 1500 SmartCap was announced.

My cap finally arrived in late July at my local authorized dealer and I took delivery. The SmartCap comes in two boxes, one for the roof panel and a refrigerator-sized box for all of the other panels, installation hardware, seals and instructions. When I was prepping for assembly, I laid down the roof box and I noticed the lower corner of the box had torn away from the underside of the box. I did not cut away the plastic straps and open the box and instead looked inside where the box was damaged and I could tell the roof was also damaged and appeared to have been dropped on that corner. All of the other components in the other box were undamaged and so I returned the roof the next day to the dealer. After a hiccup in getting the replacement roof in, I finally got it a week later. I want to add that I had no push-back whatsoever with the dealer and they were very accommodating which was a relief. The installation is pretty straight forward and having another person to assist will be helpful. Putting this on you will need some extra help, 3-4 people. Fine tuning the final location of the cap on the bed is easier if you get inside the bed and push up from the middle of the cap to not disturb the bulb seals on the underside of the cap. I could have positioned the cap tight behind the truck cab but since I will be using the truck on back country trails I moved it back about an inch to 2-inches to prevent any damage to the cab or cap. I'm still waiting for the 3rd brake light wire harness adapter from RSI which was supposed to be included with the rest of the kit and after talking with the rep he confirmed this.

Besides playing the waiting game and then having to get the roof replaced AND still waiting for the harness to complete the install, I'm still happy with the cap and have no regerts at this time. I definitely would advise RSI to package and protect these caps better especially the roof since there is no extra reinforcement of the box or any padding like foam to protect the corners of the roof.

View attachment 66510 View attachment 66511

Hey man thanks for posting!!! It looks SO sexy on your Rebel!!!

We need to some more zoomed out photos man!!

smikels

Reaction score
I had no issues with damage, but my box was a little damaged. I received the cable harness that connected to my light. I took my truck to a cap dealer and had them hook the brake light up for me. It cost me $45 was all. By the time I buy a connector I really wouldn't save much anyways. It might be worth taking to the dealer without a harness and seeing what they could do as well.

Da MNTN

Reaction score
I had no issues with damage, but my box was a little damaged. I received the cable harness that connected to my light. I took my truck to a cap dealer and had them hook the brake light up for me. It cost me $45 was all. By the time I buy a connector I really wouldn't save much anyways. It might be worth taking to the dealer without a harness and seeing what they could do as well.

How you liking it after having it on for a week or so :D

smikels

Reaction score
How you liking it after having it on for a week or so :D

I definitely like the Smart Cap so far.The only thing I have put in the bed have been golf clubs so far. I was tired of putting them in my back floorboard as it would be dirty from the course. Now the back floorboard stays clean! I could have swore when I bought the Smart Cap it said it came with a free bedrug as a promotional deal. I must have been incorrect though. I reached out to the Manufacture and they said they have not had any promotions for a bedrug.

JustMe

Reaction score
@JustMe Did you ever end up getting this CAP or you still interested one ? I saw your posts about your interest in them in other threads.
Other Threads and Other Forums too . . . Gladiator Forum, where I was Ridiculed, Shamed and Foul-mouthed, all because I was probably one of the 1st (over there) to REALLY LIKE and Promote these things . I did the Early research on the Cap AND the Company and had many email conversations with the "Boss" and the USA Rep. ! Some of the Glad-members ridiculed me as being an Employee of theirs so I LEFT the Glad Forum and have been really "quiet" these past few months - I never comment over their but I do look in, as I am still a bit undecided on a New 2021 RAM or 2021 gladiator . . . probably gonna be the RAM and I'll probably put a RTT on the EVOc Version - all White without the windows in the side hatches. Truck color ? Hmmm, also undecided, as RAM seems to like to restrict what colors can go with certain options. In particular, the rear "barn doors" (as I call them). Hoping either the Green or other Earth Tone Color for 2021 would go nice with the White Cap, or ALL WHITE REBEL !?. Rebel is probably the model ( it is for 2020 ) but that could change in 2021MY !?. I'm gonna GET Something, come hell or high water by my birthday (March) - getting too Old to be "screwing-around" (procrastinating) - 70 is the new 55, so I hear, ha ha . Still got lots of fly fishing and camping I need / want to do, and hitting up Hotels is $$$ and the Covid Predicament makes the restaurant / motel option a bit "scary" for me ( I'm quite "vulnerable"). SO, the bed and the rear seating will be altered for 12volt SnoMaster dual zone fridge and a slide out or two to secure the valuables (fly rods +). The Ram will be better suited to tow my small StealthCraft 14ft. drift boat . Ge, I think I just may have convinced myself of the Final winner - - RAM .(y)

JustMe

Reaction score
@JustMe Did you ever end up getting this CAP or you still interested one ? I saw your posts about your interest in them in other threads.
Reply part 2 - - Noticing Many seem to think it Costs too much . . . but IF you actually Compare Apples to Apples and realize you get what you pay for . . . it is Well worth the $3200 > $4000 depending on how many "whistles" you add ! REMEMBER . . . over the Life-Span your spending very little month over month over month ! Heck I had my A.R.E. Top of the line for 2004 until I sold my 2003 "RAM" in 2015 - "she" (cap) never blinked; now just think what THIS RSI will be able to DO or Withstand over the test of time !?. I bet it could easily go on someones 6th Gen RAM as long as they don't change the Bed size / rails in 2029 ! HA !

Da MNTN

Reaction score
Other Threads and Other Forums too . . . Gladiator Forum, where I was Ridiculed, Shamed and Foul-mouthed, all because I was probably one of the 1st (over there) to REALLY LIKE and Promote these things . I did the Early research on the Cap AND the Company and had many email conversations with the "Boss" and the USA Rep. ! Some of the Glad-members ridiculed me as being an Employee of theirs so I LEFT the Glad Forum and have been really "quiet" these past few months - I never comment over their but I do look in, as I am still a bit undecided on a New 2021 RAM or 2021 gladiator . . . probably gonna be the RAM and I'll probably put a RTT on the EVOc Version - all White without the windows in the side hatches. Truck color ? Hmmm, also undecided, as RAM seems to like to restrict what colors can go with certain options. In particular, the rear "barn doors" (as I call them). Hoping either the Green or other Earth Tone Color for 2021 would go nice with the White Cap, or ALL WHITE REBEL !?. Rebel is probably the model ( it is for 2020 ) but that could change in 2021MY !?. I'm gonna GET Something, come hell or high water by my birthday (March) - getting too Old to be "screwing-around" (procrastinating) - 70 is the new 55, so I hear, ha ha . Still got lots of fly fishing and camping I need / want to do, and hitting up Hotels is $$$ and the Covid Predicament makes the restaurant / motel option a bit "scary" for me ( I'm quite "vulnerable"). SO, the bed and the rear seating will be altered for 12volt SnoMaster dual zone fridge and a slide out or two to secure the valuables (fly rods +). The Ram will be better suited to tow my small StealthCraft 14ft. drift boat . Ge, I think I just may have convinced myself of the Final winner - - RAM .(y)

Based on your Goals, the RAM seems more practical. I have put a deposit on the CAP. Waiting for it to come in! I will be sure posts pics when it does!

Reply part 2 - - Noticing Many seem to think it Costs too much . . . but IF you actually Compare Apples to Apples and realize you get what you pay for . . . it is Well worth the $3200 > $4000 depending on how many "whistles" you add ! REMEMBER . . . over the Life-Span your spending very little month over month over month ! Heck I had my A.R.E. Top of the line for 2004 until I sold my 2003 "RAM" in 2015 - "she" (cap) never blinked; now just think what THIS RSI will be able to DO or Withstand over the test of time !?. I bet it could easily go on someones 6th Gen RAM as long as they don't change the Bed size / rails in 2029 ! HA !

Exactly. This echo's all our feedback and thoughts.. Your getting good bang for you buck.

Eddie

Reaction score
Any one install RSI cap on truck with multi function tailgate? Any issues?

JustMe

Reaction score
Any one install RSI cap on truck with multi function tailgate? Any issues?
If it's the forward corner braces your concerned about ( ? ) don't be ( Now ) as this is why RSI changed the mounting hardware TO the Strong C-Clamps . If it's possible "slight" weather intrusion at the "junction point," IJ'm sure a LITTLE Self ingenuity - added Auto-Grade Weather Stripping should take care of any of that ! Don't forget THIS Cap has the "positive Air Flow Ventilation that Helps to Reduce ( if not mostly eliminate ) things like dust, pollen + maybe even reduce any small water droplets wanting to "push in" . . . this last (water) point is my wishful thinking, not based on any knowledge or experience . ANY other Caps out there are gonna have similar potential issues, but More so if they don't have a built in Filtered Ventilation system !

Users who are viewing this thread