5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 21.0%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 83 51.2%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 18 11.1%

• Total voters

Da MNTN

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has this cap installed! I have been going back and forth whether I want this very pricy yet very functional cap. But would like to see it on a RAM (non-promo shot). Attached are the promo shots from RSI (which look amazing). Also I tried photoshopping it on my truck, but I think its a tad high in my rendering (which I didn't like).

For those wondering why I may be considering dropping 4k on a top:

• Modular
  • Light Weight
  • High Capacity/load on the roof
  • Easily removable
  • All windows pop open (yes, there are other topper that do this, but are horrendous looking. With the fiberglass toppers, I only find the farmless ones to be decent looking).
  • The components for this thing are amazing, albeit they are expensive as heck, but very nice and very well thought out.

PS - They are running a giveaway! You can Click Here to enter!

Promo Shots [PSS - Who else thinks this RAM setup looks amazing, like what lift, wheels, and tires are on this thing?]:
1596348650370.png

1596348674359.png

1596348689348.png

EDIT, we finally have a few members that have installed the CAP! Read on for more info, but here are some shots from one of the installs:

1597696119893.png

1597696128225.png

1597696138713.png

1597696148422.png

Attachments

• 1596348752654.png
    1596348752654.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,237
Last edited:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Without taking price into account, this is probably the best looking top I've ever seen. If you're ok with the price, go for it...

Da MNTN

Reaction score
Without taking price into account, this is probably the best looking top I've ever seen. If you're ok with the price, go for it...

I am almost there, just want to see if anyone else here in the states has had any experience with it. The company is based out of South Africa, and these tops are just starting to touchdown here in the US.

Attached are some pics of the top on the latest gen Silverado, just to see what it looks like on an American Truck (excluding promo shots). The rest of the posts and reviews are all non-US based.

1596411073566.png

1596411080755.png

1596690994690.png

1596691007333.png

1596691019903.png

Last edited:

rotts4u

Reaction score
This just goes to show how much opinions vary. I love camper shells/caps and have had one on virtually every truck I have owned including my current 2019 Longhorn. But I do not like the looks of those. The function may be fantastic and I admit I didn't look up what makes them special, but on looks alone I would pass.

Da MNTN

Reaction score
Hey @rotts4u,

I go back and forth. In some setups, I absolutely love it, in others, I'm Like I don't know If I want this look.

For example: with the Ram promo shots above, I absolutely love the look. But on the F150 it has that undesirable tractor look lol.

Last edited:

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like it but 4 grand is a lot for a modular stainless steel cap. Hopefully the price comes down over time. I appreciate the 700+ lbs static weight capacity, thats pretty high for a bed cap. The look of it is more overland/utility which certainly has its niche.

Da MNTN

Reaction score

Which Cap is this ? ARE Z2?

I like it but 4 grand is a lot for a modular stainless steel cap. Hopefully the price comes down over time. I appreciate the 700+ lbs static weight capacity, thats pretty high for a bed cap. The look of it is more overland/utility which certainly has its niche.

Yeah it pricey, but it has somethings to differentiate it including the static weight capacity you pointed out. But my favorite things are how easily it would be to remove, its overall weight, and how every window on it is a popup (with small sliders on each side) standard, and state the rest in the OG post.

But I like your call out about its overall look. It does have the overland look, and lol I think that's why I'm attracted to it. It kind of knocks the grandpa off the “pap cap” look.

Last edited:

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which Cap is this ? ARE Z2?

Yeah it pricey, but it has somethings to differentiate it including the static weight capacity you pointed out. But my favorite things are how easily it would be to remove, its overall weight, and how every window on it is a popup (with small sliders on each side) standard, and state the rest in the OG post.

But I like your call out about its overall look. It does have the overland look, and lol I think that's why I'm attracted to it. It kind of knocks the grandpa off the “pap cap” look.
I didn’t consider the value of being able to remove it and store it easily. It ships in a box in a few pieces so I assume it disassembles and can be stored in a much smaller space than a traditional cap. Bonus points there. Maybe it is worth $4k :unsure:

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just watched the assembly video. Won’t be as easy to break down and store as I imagined, but still doable I guess with another person to help. I’m sure we’ll start seeing more of these caps around.

Da MNTN

Reaction score
So I just watched the assembly video. Won’t be as easy to break down and store as I imagined, but still doable I guess with another person to help. I’m sure we’ll start seeing more of these caps around.

Yeah with two people you should be able to take it apart. But I don't think I would ever go that route. I am thinking if I'm hauling something big, and need to remove it temporarily, this cap is a lot easier a lighter for that.

But in the event I need to disassemble it for longer term, its still possible at least.

Another thing (not quite sure, but just a hunch) these caps may (should) have better resale value. In North America they are all being installed in black, which should help in that regard as well.

ej23

Reaction score
I am close to pulling the trigger on this. By the time I price a topper with windoors and everything else I'd add, the price difference is not that much more than the competition. Well, it is still expensive, but not as bad. Another thing is lead time. RSI told me they are in stock and ready to ship, arrive in about a week. Leer and ARE are telling me 7-8 week lead time.

Da MNTN

Reaction score
I am close to pulling the trigger on this. By the time I price a topper with windoors and everything else I'd add, the price difference is not that much more than the competition. Well, it is still expensive, but not as bad. Another thing is lead time. RSI told me they are in stock and ready to ship, arrive in about a week. Leer and ARE are telling me 7-8 week lead time.

I am in the same exact boat. And I agree with your logic. By the time I was done trying to get an ARE or Leer Cap to imitate the RSI SmartCap, It was only about 1k off, and that's not considering its modular, and its amazing standing roof weight.

smikels

Reaction score
I just bought one of these. I ordered it and went and picked it up the next day as it had been delivered to a local dealer. I was surprised that it has a 24 hour delivery time estimated. I have not had other caps so I cannot give a comparison. This is a strong cap for sure and looks good. They can't color match right now, but I figured I could get this done down the road if I wanted to. It was so humid out today it took me a while to put together by myself mostly. My wife helped me a couple times. After I put it together I went a hollered at 3 different neighbors to give me a hand putting this on. It wasn't to bad with 4 people, but definitely needed really. I have a hoist I could have used, but didn't want to take the chance of messing it up. I wouldn't have seen this model if not have been for this post. I love forums and the information you can get from seeing someone else do something. I have not hooked up the rear brake light up and I will probably have someone else do it. I was not able to find the brake wire underneath the truck like I have read and seen on some YouTube videos. IMG_0532[1].JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread