5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 21.0%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 83 51.2%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 18 11.1%

• Total voters

LDV

Reaction score
Does your Ram have the LED light for bed at third brake light? Mine came with the tech where there is a camera in the third brake light for the rearview mirror and I am worried it sticks out further than normal. I would appreciate a photo from the top looking down at the brake light and camper shell to see what that looks like if possible.
Thanks!
They have a big indent in the cap at the third brake light as shown, so lots of room 20201102_082014.jpg there.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Ok, I think it will work but it might be very tight.

Attachments

• IMG_6179.jpeg
    IMG_6179.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_6180.jpeg
    IMG_6180.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_6181.jpeg
    IMG_6181.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 188

PHFT

Reaction score
Well after a bit of a hiccup its on and everything is all good. I received my first cap less than 24 hours after ordering which I was impressed with, but that quickly changed when I opened the already in rough shape boxes, it was clear the cap had already been partially assembled and then returned as parts did not line up, there was mud and grass and dents everywhere among other things. So after calling multiple times with no answer I sent an email with pictures, about 20 minutes after that email I got a phone call from the North American VP and he was very apologetic and pissed saying "that piece of sh*t should have never left the warehouse". Anyways they were great and had a new cap sent out built and installed in less than a week and just in time for my hunting trip.

Also it did not come with the third brake light wiring harness, which I expected from reading other reviews, something about not shipping out before COVID started, anyways emailed the VP and he is expecting them in soon and will send one out when they come in.

IMG_9430.jpg IMG_9455.jpg IMG_9454.jpg IMG_9458.jpg IMG_9459.jpg

PHFT

Reaction score
I did two quick little add ons as my old rack had Maxtrax, a shovel, and axe mounted on the sides for camping and hunting. I wanted to be able to still carry these with me, but keep them out of the way as they are not always needed, so because this whole cap is steel I figured I would use magnets. My first build was with 25lbs ones and they held, but barley and I was not confidant enough in them so I ordered some 95lbs ones and they are good.

IMG_9431.jpg IMG_9432.jpg IMG_9433.jpg IMG_9437.jpg IMG_9436.jpg

IMG_9434.jpg IMG_9435.jpg IMG_9438.jpg

PHFT

Reaction score
For for SmartCap adopters - has anyone put cross bars on using the tracks in the roof? I have a SmartCap on order and need to get my rooftop box up there quickly and am worried about parts being in short supply.

I ideally would like to know what Yakima base/foot option works with the RSI track so I can leverage some of my other Yakima components.

But because I'll be pressed for time I'm open to using Thule or any other system that others have used as I don't have time to experiment before an upcoming trip.

My thanks in advance if anyone has any experience here.
They have cross bars on their site that says they will be available this month.

JMD227

Reaction score
I have mine installed, and similarly am still waiting for the wiring harness. My outer box was not damaged, but I had a couple corners I had to unbend for the panels to connect.

I am a bit disappointed on how much the black plastic bedside cap waves under the weight. My initial impression was this is due to possibly improper clamping, but I have moved them and the ripple indentions are in higher quantity and not in the location of the clamps. I assume this happens with other toppers as well, only it is hidden as the fiberglass lip covers the black plastic. Are y'all also noticing a significant wave of this black plastic? It hurts my OCD.

How water tight is your cap? I am waiting for a heavier rain or for the next wash, but I did seem to get some drops in the middle of the bed.

This last week I installed the decked drawers as well. It looks awesome and will hopefully be an efficient setup, but I am really wishing I had the multifunction tailgate now. It is a struggle to lift heavy items across the tailgate, over the decked, but also under the smartcap. For instance, I moved some wheels today and a rear diff for my track car, and I had to load them on the tailgate, then climb in, and then put them in the bed. It is a sweet setup and I am complaing about problems that you will have with any topper, but worth mentioning for those on the fence.

PHFT

Reaction score
I have mine installed, and similarly am still waiting for the wiring harness. My outer box was not damaged, but I had a couple corners I had to unbend for the panels to connect.

I am a bit disappointed on how much the black plastic bedside cap waves under the weight. My initial impression was this is due to possibly improper clamping, but I have moved them and the ripple indentions are in higher quantity and not in the location of the clamps. I assume this happens with other toppers as well, only it is hidden as the fiberglass lip covers the black plastic. Are y'all also noticing a significant wave of this black plastic? It hurts my OCD.

How water tight is your cap? I am waiting for a heavier rain or for the next wash, but I did seem to get some drops in the middle of the bed.

This last week I installed the decked drawers as well. It looks awesome and will hopefully be an efficient setup, but I am really wishing I had the multifunction tailgate now. It is a struggle to lift heavy items across the tailgate, over the decked, but also under the smartcap. For instance, I moved some wheels today and a rear diff for my track car, and I had to load them on the tailgate, then climb in, and then put them in the bed. It is a sweet setup and I am complaing about problems that you will have with any topper, but worth mentioning for those on the fence.
I have the wave too I think thats to do more with the ****ty plastic rail caps from RAM than anything. But I am going to lift the cap up and have a look next week to make sure the dealer installed everything correctly. I did undo the clamps and move the cap back slightly as I wanted it a little farther away from the cab but I have noticed that after I tighten the clamps back down to spec (9 ft-lbs, 108 in-lb, or 12.2 NM) my tail gate was a lot harder to close and was pushing the D-seal more.
I have had some decent rain and nothings got through but I did see another guy on YouTube ran some clear silicone along the seams and its not noticeable and rain tight.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I did two quick little add ons as my old rack had Maxtrax, a shovel, and axe mounted on the sides for camping and hunting. I wanted to be able to still carry these with me, but keep them out of the way as they are not always needed, so because this whole cap is steel I figured I would use magnets. My first build was with 25lbs ones and they held, but barley and I was not confidant enough in them so I ordered some 95lbs ones and they are good.
I like your mount with shovel with flat head axe.... what brand is that and where did you get it. Thanks

SteelCityRags

Reaction score
WOW! Glad to see some more people joining the club !!! I have had mine for about 2.5 months now, and I absolutely love it !

View attachment 73207

View attachment 73208

I’m really itching to get one after reading all of the success people have had with the cap. Did you run into any of the plastic trim warping on yours that other people have mentioned? Also, do you have any water get in the bed or is the seal pretty tight?

Btw, is your RAM Patriot Blue? Looks pretty sharp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JMD227

Reaction score
I have the wave too I think thats to do more with the ****ty plastic rail caps from RAM than anything. But I am going to lift the cap up and have a look next week to make sure the dealer installed everything correctly. I did undo the clamps and move the cap back slightly as I wanted it a little farther away from the cab but I have noticed that after I tighten the clamps back down to spec (9 ft-lbs, 108 in-lb, or 12.2 NM) my tail gate was a lot harder to close and was pushing the D-seal more.
I have had some decent rain and nothings got through but I did see another guy on YouTube ran some clear silicone along the seams and its not noticeable and rain tight.
Please follow up if it gets better! I don't think there is a solution as I have moved my cap and clamps and the wave seems to be unaffected...
In the first install I also was going to the recommended torque and it was FAR too tight and causing warping. I backed it off to just be snug.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Has anyone put roof cross bars on top of one yet? It looks like they are going to sell load bars but they won't be available until January.

PHFT

Reaction score
UPDATE - so I emailed Dan the VP for North America and he said to use Krown T-40 for this winter but that "we are working on a proprietary paddle latch design that should have improved severe cold-weather performance, and will be retrofitable, however they won’t be in production for several months." so hope that will be ready before next winter.

**So one thing now that we have had some freezing temps and snow, I have noticed that water gets into the locks and freezes so you can't even get the keys in to unlock the latches, any one else found this/come up with a solution?

Last edited:

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I just installed my RSI SmartCap yesterday, very very impressed with the build quality. Top notch. They even accounted for the bracket for the split tailgate braces that are in front of the bed. I put it on where I thought it should be sitting, but I am wondering if I have it to far back. It creates a perfect straight seal with the bed on the front (since the front of the bed actually has a small curve to it). I really like the way it sits on the back flush with the bed as well. Does anyone foresee an issue with it being set in this position that has put one on their trucks? I feel like I could move it forward about 1/2", but at that point it may be splitting hairs.

Attachments

• IMG_6398.jpeg
    IMG_6398.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_6399.jpeg
    IMG_6399.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_6400.jpeg
    IMG_6400.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_6404.jpeg
    IMG_6404.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 321

thedcp

Reaction score
I spoke to my local dealer about the option to SmartCap color match -- sounds like this extends lead time but is possible. Anybody investigate or consider color matching? I see most (all?) posted here are the standard black color.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I spoke to my local dealer about the option to SmartCap color match -- sounds like this extends lead time but is possible. Anybody investigate or consider color matching? I see most (all?) posted here are the standard black color.
They only come in black as of now. I can tell you the lead time is insanely fast. I paid for mine on Friday and it was shipped to a local pick up location on Monday. I wonder how long the inventory will last for the U.S.

Users who are viewing this thread