5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 21.0%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 83 51.2%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 18 11.1%

• Total voters

rkelz1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has this cap installed! I have been going back and forth whether I want this very pricy yet very functional cap. But would like to see it on a RAM (non-promo shot). Attached are the promo shots from RSI (which look amazing). Also I tried photoshopping it on my truck, but I think its a tad high in my rendering (which I didn't like).

For those wondering why I may be considering dropping 4k on a top:

• Modular
  • Light Weight
  • High Capacity/load on the roof
  • Easily removable
  • All windows pop open (yes, there are other topper that do this, but are horrendous looking. With the fiberglass toppers, I only find the farmless ones to be decent looking).
  • The components for this thing are amazing, albeit they are expensive as heck, but very nice and very well thought out.

PS - They are running a giveaway! You can Click Here to enter!

Promo Shots [PSS - Who else thinks this RAM setup looks amazing, like what lift, wheels, and tires are on this thing?]:
View attachment 64103

View attachment 64104

View attachment 64105

EDIT, we finally have a few members that have installed the CAP! Read on for more info, but here are some shots from one of the installs:

View attachment 65707

View attachment 65708

View attachment 65709

View attachment 65710
Try $6-7k or more if you outfit, base is about $4.5-5 k

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
For those who have the cap installed - how do you clean the cab rear windows and the cap front windows? It appears that the cap front window panel does not tilt/fold like the other available options for LEER/ARE.

Would there be any adjustability on how the cap sits on the bed? Perhaps more towards the rear of the truck, allowing for more space between the cab and cap for ease of cleaning?

After researching I couldn't bring myself to a LEER or ARE cap. It appears there are too many issues with craftsmanship.

ez.allgood

Reaction score
Still waiting for my Smart Cap... Apparently it's been in at the port since mid May but is waiting to clear customs. Pretty bummed that I've already paid in full for it and have been waiting two and a half months. I was supposed to have it for a Yellowstone trip last month. I hope it's worth the wait :(

outdoorco75

Reaction score
My side bin had the same story and then one day it just showed up, no email saying it was shipped, it took about 5 1/2 months order to arrival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
For those who have the cap installed - how do you clean the cab rear windows and the cap front windows? It appears that the cap front window panel does not tilt/fold like the other available options for LEER/ARE.

Would there be any adjustability on how the cap sits on the bed? Perhaps more towards the rear of the truck, allowing for more space between the cab and cap for ease of cleaning?

After researching I couldn't bring myself to a LEER or ARE cap. It appears there are too many issues with craftsmanship.
I just don't even bother trying to clean the rear truck window or the front window on the cap. I bet if you had a gas station squeegee type thing it would fit though. There is about a 1.5 to 2 inch gap between truck and cap.

350TX

Reaction score

I had the same concerns as you about the Leer/ARE and the ability to clean the glass on the RSI. But after having mine for almost a year now it is really a non-issue. That area between the cab and cap hardly gets dirty anyway and even on trails it will get a little dusty but I just hose down that area whenever I wash the truck. Also since the back glass on the cab is already tinted (regular tint and not dark like limo) I cannot tell how dirty the glass is anyway.

There is some movement from left/right and forward/aft to position the cap on the bed. You can probably every now and then loosen all the clamps and slide the cap as far back as it will go to have better access to clean the window but all that effort may not be worth it.

If you’re only hang up is the cleaning issue then I’d say go ahead and place the order.

350TX

Reaction score
Still waiting for my Smart Cap... Apparently it's been in at the port since mid May but is waiting to clear customs. Pretty bummed that I've already paid in full for it and have been waiting two and a half months. I was supposed to have it for a Yellowstone trip last month. I hope it's worth the wait :(

I hear ya. I ordered a Tuff Stuff Alpha back in March and we were notified that the shipment would be delayed another month due to some kind of backup at the port in Los Angeles.

mjdwyer23

Reaction score
Looks great -- can you measure the bed to interior ceiling height? Thanks!

enegem

Reaction score
Received mine yesterday . Easy install . Solid cap . Hope to get years of use out of it .

Attachments

• 20210715_174246471_iOS.jpg
    20210715_174246471_iOS.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 265
  • 20210715_214005971_iOS.jpg
    20210715_214005971_iOS.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 20210715_214035905_iOS.jpg
    20210715_214035905_iOS.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 256

geebus

Reaction score
Spotted this out in the wilds of suburban Maryland today. I was super excited lol

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
54ca5a389e06136d59816b76800fec85.jpg

langelis

Reaction score
Getting my smartcap put on Saturday. For those with the 6.4 beds, have you found a rack system (size) that works? RSI is backordered. Frontrunner has the shortbed one in stock but its too short. I contacted them and they said they could build a custom one; however, the size they suggested is smaller than the shortbed model??? If anyone has a general/custom Frontrunner rack for 6.4 beds, can you post a part number? Thanks all!

Shortbed:

PHFT

Reaction score
Getting my smartcap put on Saturday. For those with the 6.4 beds, have you found a rack system (size) that works? RSI is backordered. Frontrunner has the shortbed one in stock but its too short. I contacted them and they said they could build a custom one; however, the size they suggested is smaller than the shortbed model??? If anyone has a general/custom Frontrunner rack for 6.4 beds, can you post a part number? Thanks all!

Shortbed:
I have the 5.7 bed and have the Prinsu Design Studio Universal Top Rack mounted on mine, they make them for the 6.4 bed as well. I did have to also buy their Leer mounting feet so make sure you check your specs as you may need them as well if you go with this rack.

IMG_1422.jpg IMG_1423.jpg

ej23

Reaction score
Has anyone received a cap lately? How's the backorder situation? I recently cancelled an order I had placed in May. I just could not see waiting until end of September/October. I was really excited about the SmartCaps. had been following since early on, trying to decided on the details, and then when I finally got my order in, so did everyone else. I've went with a Softopper for now.

Rebel TR8R

Reaction score
It’s too bad these are on backorder. I guess it’s good for my wallet. Any cons from those who have it for more than a year now?

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I have had mine for about 10 months and still think it’s great. One squeaky door which just needed some WD40, besides that all good!

nainey_09

Reaction score
I have the 5.7 bed and have the Prinsu Design Studio Universal Top Rack mounted on mine, they make them for the 6.4 bed as well. I did have to also buy their Leer mounting feet so make sure you check your specs as you may need them as well if you go with this rack.

View attachment 100576 View attachment 100577

How much height does that add to the cap? Can you buy the bars separately and just use those? Ive been looking at getting a rtt to put on the cap and its so long that it would go a little over the cab too. I need something that can clear the antenna.

ez.allgood

Reaction score
Has anyone received a cap lately? How's the backorder situation? I recently cancelled an order I had placed in May. I just could not see waiting until end of September/October. I was really excited about the SmartCaps. had been following since early on, trying to decided on the details, and then when I finally got my order in, so did everyone else. I've went with a Softopper for now.
Same with me, I ordered mid April and canceled because I kept getting a runaround when it was supposed to ship. Finally said probably October in June and I wasn’t going to wait any longer. Paid in full too, they wouldn’t take a deposit

PHFT

Reaction score
How much height does that add to the cap? Can you buy the bars separately and just use those? Ive been looking at getting a rtt to put on the cap and its so long that it would go a little over the cab too. I need something that can clear the antenna.

I'm not sure on the exact height it adds but it just clears the antenna fin so a RTT would fit, I took these two pics a while back that shows the height compared to the antenna. I think you can buy extra cross bars so you could probably piece something together if you didn't want to get the full rack, just make sure to get the measurements of the cross bar as you'll probably need the Leer mounting feet from their site also. If you have any clearance issues I believe the site also has mounting feet for RTT.

IMG_1426.jpg IMG_1428.jpg

nainey_09

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the exact height it adds but it just clears the antenna fin so a RTT would fit, I took these two pics a while back that shows the height compared to the antenna. I think you can buy extra cross bars so you could probably piece something together if you didn't want to get the full rack, just make sure to get the measurements of the cross bar as you'll probably need the Leer mounting feet from their site also. If you have any clearance issues I believe the site also has mounting feet for RTT.

View attachment 102883 View attachment 102884

Right on, thanks man!

Users who are viewing this thread