5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 21.0%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 83 51.2%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 18 11.1%

• Total voters

roaminwiththeromes

Reaction score
here's a picture of my truck. I thought about going with the white top but none were available until May so I went with the black. I think it looks fine. I was really buying for the positive pressure vent on the top. my truck has the digital rear view mirror and here is a video that gives some info on moving the camera to the back of a cap. I've purchased the cable but am still thinking about how I would mount it on the smartcap. PXL_20220316_205919998.jpg

Last edited:

mgoodness

Reaction score
here's a picture of my truck. I thought about going with the white top but none were available until May so I went with the black. I think it looks fine. I was really buying for the positive pressure vent on the top. my truck has the digital rear view mirror and here is a video that gives some info on moving the camera to the back of a cap. I've purchased the cable but am still thinking about how I would mount it on the smartcap. View attachment 123429
Have you moved the camera to the cap yet? I have the Technology Group coming on my 2022 Rebel, and a Smartcap Evo on backorder.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

roaminwiththeromes

Reaction score
Have you moved the camera to the cap yet? I have the Technology Group coming on my 2022 Rebel, and a Smartcap Evo on backorder.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Not Yet. I travel full-time in an RV and am waiting to get to my winter spot in Nov so I can take my time.

nainey_09

Reaction score
Have you guys seen that rld design makes a steel cap for our trucks now? Very similar to the smartcap. Does anyone know what it looks like on a 5th gen 1500? I cant find any pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nainey_09

Reaction score
Finally got the Evoa on the truck!

4f6c4160b866e0581ec55fbb616f99f4.jpg

68e3497b0b23faa9ee433e6cc12882d2.jpg

1167602e2981391e8e2fb94a3ff37f7f.jpg

6d042c97ca44b299f8ce4d963d3b7036.jpg

twigs13

Reaction score
In many of the pics I see, it seems that the top of the cap sits slightly higher than the top of the cab roof. Perhaps not and it's just the angle of the photos but can someone confirm if it does and by how much? I only have a few inches of room to work with between the cab roof and my garage entrance. I'd hate to get one of these and find out I can't get into my garage with it. lol

nainey_09

Reaction score
In many of the pics I see, it seems that the top of the cap sits slightly higher than the top of the cab roof. Perhaps not and it's just the angle of the photos but can someone confirm if it does and by how much? I only have a few inches of room to work with between the cab roof and my garage entrance. I'd hate to get one of these and find out I can't get into my garage with it. lol

I havent measured but its almost exactly the same height as the cab. The side rails sit maybe a quarter inch taller than the cab.

PHFT

Reaction score
If you look at my post #259 on this thread you can see the shark fin still sits above the top of the cap (without the rack that I added)

Jurfie

Reaction score
my truck has the digital rear view mirror and here is a video that gives some info on moving the camera to the back of a cap. I've purchased the cable but am still thinking about how I would mount it on the smartcap.

That’s an awesome video find for extending the digital rear view mirror camera! Thanks for posting.

TSL

Reaction score
Finally got the Evoa on the truck!

1167602e2981391e8e2fb94a3ff37f7f.jpg

Glad to see a picture of the Adventure model. I'm about to order one and trying to decide between the Sport and Adventure models. Seems all the pics further back in this thread were of the sport but it seems like that might have been the only one available at the time. The Pro's / Cons to me seem to be the sliding windows on the sport might be useful if you had a dog back there for added ventilation, while the molle panels on the adventure would be useful for mounting accessories, especially if one was thinking Overlanding thoughts, which I definitely am !
Also the Adventure model is $300 cheaper.
My dealer ( an Overland outfitter in the Portland, OR area ) tells me the North American factory for RSI is up and running now and they are getting through their order backlog and if I order soon I should have one by May / June time frame.
I first saw one of these on a rig at Overland Expo PNW last summer and was immediately drawn to it, I think it looks very good on the Rebel as well.

mgoodness

Reaction score
Finally got my Evo Sport installed a couple weeks ago. @roaminwiththeromes did you ever relocate your camera? I'll be ordering the cable shortly. Thinking I'll find someone with a 3D printer to spit out an enclosure/mount.

roaminwiththeromes

Reaction score
sorry so long for the reply. Haven't relocated it yet. I've seen the top mounted 3D printed enclosures on the HDRam forum. I really want to keep mine inside on the rear glass hatch on the smartcap. Right now I'm thinking I can glue two small pieces of wood to the rear hatch window with the camera screwed into it. With the up/down left/right adjustments the camera can make it should be able to get a good rear view.

WyoViking

Reaction score
So I've read the first 5 pages of this forum and the last 2, (thanks for all the pics, these caps look great on our trucks.)
I'm not finding anyone talking about leaks. But if you look it up on YouTube, there are videos after videos of people talking about the leaks. "I really like it and it leaks" "it's great, but the filter vent leaks" "it looks great, but the seals fall out... And leaks" "all caps leak and this one the most but I might keep it for my desert overland rig"... I live in Wyoming and we don't get much rain but it definitely dumps and hails in the summer and then there's the winter... And the snow... And the blowing snow... Anybody have experience with leaks or the lack thereof?

mgoodness

Reaction score
So I've read the first 5 pages of this forum and the last 2, (thanks for all the pics, these caps look great on our trucks.)
I'm not finding anyone talking about leaks. But if you look it up on YouTube, there are videos after videos of people talking about the leaks. "I really like it and it leaks" "it's great, but the filter vent leaks" "it looks great, but the seals fall out... And leaks" "all caps leak and this one the most but I might keep it for my desert overland rig"... I live in Wyoming and we don't get much rain but it definitely dumps and hails in the summer and then there's the winter... And the snow... And the blowing snow... Anybody have experience with leaks or the lack thereof?

No leaks so far, including during/after a near-miss with a tornado last Friday night.

TSL

Reaction score
I don't have one yet, but I have one on order with a local Overlanding outfitter company who are going to fit it for me. I too read and watched many of those reviews and quizzed the folks I'm buying it from. I eventually got convinced that in many cases the leaks may be due to faulty installation.
Here was one review I saw where they had the bolts come loose and a lot of dust ingress into the bed :
I asked my installer about their thoughts on that video and here's what they said :
"We've seen one instance of this in the ones we sold. Haven't gotten one of the newest ones with the fixes and upgrades yet but assuming they probably did something different with the bolts along with the latches etc. Our fix since we had that one is to add some light/mid duty loctite to the bolts to make sure they don't back out, a secondary check after vibrating off road also wouldn't hurt."
SmartCap have made some changes in their designs and most of the reviews out there I think are from the original design. ( The reference to the latches in the above quote is in relation to the fact that the latches could not be opened from the inside - possible safety issue if you somehow got locked in ! - and they froze up in cold climates and couldn't be turned. I believe they claim to have fixed both of those issues in a re-designed latch.
They are apparently also making them in a new factory in Texas for the US market which is hopefully going to cut down on the lead time since they were previously all imported from South Africa.
I ordered mine in January and am hoping I'll get it by May or June, I need to check in with my supplier soon and see what the lead times are looking like.
My supplier said this to me about lead times ( this was back in January this year )
"Regarding lead times, the US plant is up and running and we are being told that ALL current backorders should be fulfilled by end of February. New order turnarounds should be less that 2-3 months from time of order and many of the higher volume models will be generally in stock"
Anyway, not sure if any of this helps you out, but that's what I've learned so far, it'll be a while before I can report back on actual experiences

Bikeyaker

Reaction score
I don't have one yet, but I have one on order with a local Overlanding outfitter company who are going to fit it for me. I too read and watched many of those reviews and quizzed the folks I'm buying it from. I eventually got convinced that in many cases the leaks may be due to faulty installation.
Have you received yours yet? I ordered mine in mid-January through a dealer. It was supposed to ship out end of May, but we still have not heard anything concrete from RSI about town it will actually ship.

TSL

Reaction score
Have you received yours yet? I ordered mine in mid-January through a dealer. It was supposed to ship out end of May, but we still have not heard anything concrete from RSI about town it will actually ship.
<Long Sigh> No, I haven't. My dealer had trouble getting solid information from them, but finally got connected to some-one in the company who actually knew something. Here's what I was told:

"Estimated arrival time in Sept. They had to run more caps through their South Africa plant since the Texas plant took so long to get up and running. Texas will only be producing the backlog of Tacomas all the way through October at this time"

The Texas plant was meant to be in production months ago but it seems it only really got running production in May or June. I didn't call my dealer back yet, but my interpretation of the message they sent me is that mine is coming from the South Africa "mothership" and not the Texas plant. They do at least have my order and it is on their books to build it. These caps are popular in the overlanding community and I guess RAM 1500's are not as popular in the Overlanding community so we are obviously at the back of the line :-(
Was really looking forward to having mine for the summer camping season ( I just got done building a slide out kitchen unit for my rig which I was hoping I'd have under the cap ! ) I'm resigned to not having it for the season now, and I'll check in with my dealer after Labor day and see what the story is. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas at this rate.
Disappointing, but it's the only cap I've seen that I'm willing to put on my truck, so I'm going to sit tight for now.

Users who are viewing this thread