5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BELT BLOWN AT 9K Miles-URGENT READ

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What if Start/Stop is disabled? I’m assuming no 1/2 tire rotation surge then. I’ve heard yes either way if off or on so honestly don’t know that answer.

All that does is disable auto-start/stop, not the other functions of etorque

Dewey

Reaction score
All that does is disable auto-start/stop, not the other functions of etorque
Thanks. Good to know. I wasn’t sure about that. Haven’t noticed anything different from my 2017 that way. If there’s added torque even a half tire revolution I sure don’t feel it with the stupid throttle lag. Can’t wait to get my Pedal Commander in a few days.

theduke

Reaction score
Hi guys, not exactly the same condition but I'm stuck 500 mi from home now. I noticed on my road trip a whine from the engine compartment related directly to rpm's. Got to Raleigh on my trip and dealer diagnosed as bad tensioner under warranty. They advise not driving due to the risk for catastrophic failure. They said 1-5 d for the part and its been 2 d already and now they say end of next week. No tracking on the part and no part locally in the Raleigh Durham area (hard to believe). Luckily I can wait a few d with little inconvenience. I'm messaging @RamCares to see if I can get a rental car or at least reimbursed for rental car.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey there, theduke,

We're terribly sorry to see this. We look forward to helping you via DM's.

Callie
Ram Cares

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I was just reading through this thread and I remember that my 2016 GMC Serria eAssist (very similar to eTourqe) and the belt blew at 2200 miles. It was just a bad belt, however the same issue of belt availability was annoying, took 2 weeks for GM to source a belt and that was in 2016 :oops: I don't even want to think about trying to find one now.

M177ED1

Reaction score
The story continues... Truck now has 15,233 miles on it (original belt went at ~9k). Doing my routine oil change and noticed that the new serpentine belt has some fraying, on the back side and only on one section of the belt at first I thought maybe it was just the belts cosmetics. However after test running post oil change, a different section of the belt was not visible and clearly has a clean edge.

I have a service appt to have the dealership look at the belt, replace and inspect the pulleys (hopefully). Between myself and my father in law (30+ year certified mechanic) we can't see anything that would/is rubbing on the belt (if there was, doest explain the short frayed segment vs the whole belt).

Things we could think of as possible causes:

-maybe some debris from the old belt that the dealership left wrapped around the crank pulley has been hitting the new belt
-possilby one of the pulleys has a burr on the pulley surface/grooves

Will keep you posted.

Pic 1: clean edge
pic 2: new fray
pic 3: remains of old belt dealership left tangled around the back of crank pulley

Also, we are moving/towing cross country next month..... so yea sucks to have this feeling of "is my truck gunna screw me again" IMG_4778.jpeg IMG_4779.jpeg IMG_4780.jpeg

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not entirely sure if you are saying photo 3 is old belt shreds the shop failed to remove. :unsure: If so, shamefully inferior work on their part. :mad: And is that bits of belt fiber I see behind the etorque pulley and inside the motor/generator? I'd want that all cleaned up.

Photo 2 sure looks like something is cutting the edge of the belt, but I don't see likely suspects in the photos. Are you able to observe the belt while it is running? Does it run straight and true vs. vibrating or shifting around? Any difference with A/C on or off? I'd definitely be wanting to get to the bottom of it.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would think something seized up to shred a belt. This happened to me once when my AC compressor froze up on my old corvette. If it were slipping, there would be a lot of squealing, low battery voltage, etc. I am thinking of a traditional ICE though, not an ET
I just put a new main drive belt (serpentine) belt and new alternator on one of my cars a few weeks ago. The alternator froze and caused the belt to break. When the alternator froze there was a terrible VERY loud squeal. Dead giveaway for a something seizing. Even smoked under hood. Rolled some coal for a bit.

All this to let you know that seizing can be very loud.

BTB123

Reaction score
Keep us posted. I hope they find something to give you confidence for your upcoming road trip.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That second to last pic shows the belt is not tracking properly. The fact that i see it on both sides makes me question if bearings in a pulley went bad. If it were mine, I’d use a stethoscope on each pulley bearing to see if I could hear a bad pulley, then watch closely to see if I can ID where the belt is touching, and lastly (if other two don’t show me the problem), I’d remove the belt to handspin everything I can and follow that up with a lazer to check pulley alignments. What I describe is what a good tech would do.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just put a new main drive belt (serpentine) belt and new alternator on one of my cars a few weeks ago. The alternator froze and caused the belt to break. When the alternator froze there was a terrible VERY loud squeal. Dead giveaway for a something seizing. Even smoked under hood. Rolled some coal for a bit.

All this to let you know that seizing can be very loud.
Exactly what happened to me

M177ED1

Reaction score
That second to last pic shows the belt is not tracking properly. The fact that i see it on both sides makes me question if bearings in a pulley went bad. If it were mine, I’d use a stethoscope on each pulley bearing to see if I could hear a bad pulley, then watch closely to see if I can ID where the belt is touching, and lastly (if other two don’t show me the problem), I’d remove the belt to handspin everything I can and follow that up with a lazer to check pulley alignments. What I describe is what a good tech would do.
Heres hoping the tech I get is a good tech. Seems like these days they barely want to work on anything around here, much less a warranty job.

I appreciate the input. I’ll be sure to strongly suggest that’s what I would like to have done.

Last edited:

M177ED1

Reaction score
Not entirely sure if you are saying photo 3 is old belt shreds the shop failed to remove. :unsure: If so, shamefully inferior work on their part. :mad: And is that bits of belt fiber I see behind the etorque pulley and inside the motor/generator? I'd want that all cleaned up.

Photo 2 sure looks like something is cutting the edge of the belt, but I don't see likely suspects in the photos. Are you able to observe the belt while it is running? Does it run straight and true vs. vibrating or shifting around? Any difference with A/C on or off? I'd definitely be wanting to get to the bottom of it.
Fixed the typo

Yes that’s the old belt remains I was able to finally pull from behind the crank. And all the fiber you see is the exploded fiber from the old belt.

I’m not exaggerating when I say there is fiber still literally everywhere. My engine bay and under carriage looks like a truck that’s been sitting for years covered in webs.

Even fibers tangled around exhaust hangers in the back.

We did a quick look with the truck running and couldn’t see anything obvious. Belt looked to be running fine, but djevox I think is on to something.

007longbeach

Reaction score
Posting as a public service announcement and to see if anyone else has experienced the following.

SITUATION:
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi WITH E-torque
Current mileage 9,946
Bought brand spanking new.

On July 15, towing a 6k camper trailer, in tow/haul, adaptive cruise control.
60mph, Sierra Nevadas outside Reno headed towards CA.

Hooked up the trailer, got on the freeway, literally, from this exit to the very next exit, the truck shredded the main accessory belt.

No cause noted. Sounded like plastic bag in the fan, truck kept towing, no CEL no lights.

Pulled of the next exit, belt had shred from the front of the belt towards the back of the belt. Belt fiber EVERYWHERE.

All pulleys working, nothing seized, no road debris as the cause either.

Here’s the kicker. Not a single auto parts store (Napa, AZ, Oreily *could not cross reference and did not stock) and not a single Ram dealership with in a 4.5 hour drive stocks/Stocked a single Accessory belt for the 5.7 Hemi WITH E-Torque.

So, if you plan to tow. Bring a breaker bar, and order a belt ahead of time. Part # 5281514aa

Truck is currently at the dealership (was able to limp it home with 1/4 of a belt left after having friend pick up the trailer). By the time we got into town, the E-Torq/Alternator had stopped charging or running electronics.

Dealership is “booked out” for the next 8 days. And advised it would take 5-7 business days to ship the belt to them.

Part # from several Ram Parts Depts 5281514aa.
Mopar.com shows a belt diagram with the listed part number, in the correct configuration, but states that this part number will not fit an ETorq 5.7 Hemi.

So, not even Mopar is sure what belt fits what.
Tried to verify if the belt from a standard 5.7 would work, no dealership I called while broke down could verify.

Thoughts: maybe the ETorq seized momentarily caused the belt to shred but continued working.

Will keep thread updated.
Yep, wifes 2023 just hit 10K miles and the belt fell off and took out part of the serpentine belt that goes to the eTorque motor. She was passing someone when it came off and the engine got up to over 260ºF, and then cooled down to 230ºF as it is cool out today. Had it towed to the dealer where I looked it over. The water pump still moves freely, but there is a coolant missing in the overflow (I'm sure from hitting over 260º). Part of the front 20% of the serpentine belt is missing and a bit of fuzz from it is stuck here and there. My question is where is the thing that should be keeping the belt tension correct (for the little belt from the water pump to the crank)? I see a giant recall headed our way maybe. How many miles did the engine get running wide open and with no coolant flowing as this little belt failed? LOL

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, wifes 2023 just hit 10K miles and the belt fell off and took out part of the serpentine belt that goes to the eTorque motor. She was passing someone when it came off and the engine got up to over 260ºF, and then cooled down to 230ºF as it is cool out today. Had it towed to the dealer where I looked it over. The water pump still moves freely, but there is a coolant missing in the overflow (I'm sure from hitting over 260º). Part of the front 20% of the serpentine belt is missing and a bit of fuzz from it is stuck here and there. My question is where is the thing that should be keeping the belt tension correct (for the little belt from the water pump to the crank)? I see a giant recall headed our way maybe. How many miles did the engine get running wide open and with no coolant flowing as this little belt failed? LOL
The water pump belt is a one time use stretch belt, it does not have a tensioner.
"The water pump drive belt (1) is a one time use only. If belt removal is necessary, it must be replaced with a NEW belt"

007longbeach

Reaction score
Posting as a public service announcement and to see if anyone else has experienced the following.

SITUATION:
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi WITH E-torque
Current mileage 9,946
Bought brand spanking new.

On July 15, towing a 6k camper trailer, in tow/haul, adaptive cruise control.
60mph, Sierra Nevadas outside Reno headed towards CA.

Hooked up the trailer, got on the freeway, literally, from this exit to the very next exit, the truck shredded the main accessory belt.

No cause noted. Sounded like plastic bag in the fan, truck kept towing, no CEL no lights.

Pulled of the next exit, belt had shred from the front of the belt towards the back of the belt. Belt fiber EVERYWHERE.

All pulleys working, nothing seized, no road debris as the cause either.

Here’s the kicker. Not a single auto parts store (Napa, AZ, Oreily *could not cross reference and did not stock) and not a single Ram dealership with in a 4.5 hour drive stocks/Stocked a single Accessory belt for the 5.7 Hemi WITH E-Torque.

So, if you plan to tow. Bring a breaker bar, and order a belt ahead of time. Part # 5281514aa

Truck is currently at the dealership (was able to limp it home with 1/4 of a belt left after having friend pick up the trailer). By the time we got into town, the E-Torq/Alternator had stopped charging or running electronics.

Dealership is “booked out” for the next 8 days. And advised it would take 5-7 business days to ship the belt to them.

Part # from several Ram Parts Depts 5281514aa.
Mopar.com shows a belt diagram with the listed part number, in the correct configuration, but states that this part number will not fit an ETorq 5.7 Hemi.

So, not even Mopar is sure what belt fits what.
Tried to verify if the belt from a standard 5.7 would work, no dealership I called while broke down could verify.

Thoughts: maybe the ETorq seized momentarily caused the belt to shred but continued working.

Will keep thread updated.
Update... nationwide backorder for the belts for the 2023. Nothing like paying $1k a month for something undriveable

BowDown

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread