5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BELT BLOWN AT 9K Miles-URGENT READ

007longbeach

Reaction score

007longbeach

Reaction score

007longbeach

Reaction score
The dayco and the continental specifically listed etorque,
There's a couple mopar parts places that claim to have the mopar number in stock, 2 near me.
Thanks. I got 2 of the smaller OEM belts and the larger belt coming.

barrak

Reaction score
I found them at another source, but they must be OEM for warranty issues.
I'm surprised this is the case. I thought they would not affect warranty, similar to non-OEM wheels, tires, oil filters, ...etc.

007longbeach

Reaction score
Update. I can't remember her name in the service department, but she came through big time today. She acquired the belts and got the truck to me by 2pm! I guess I'll keep those belts I ordered in the truck along with the little tool to change the stretch belt. Still hopeful that it was a one time issue with the stretch belt that was on the truck.

Autonomy4all

Reaction score
Posting as a public service announcement and to see if anyone else has experienced the following.

SITUATION:
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi WITH E-torque
Current mileage 9,946
Bought brand spanking new.

On July 15, towing a 6k camper trailer, in tow/haul, adaptive cruise control.
60mph, Sierra Nevadas outside Reno headed towards CA.

Hooked up the trailer, got on the freeway, literally, from this exit to the very next exit, the truck shredded the main accessory belt.

No cause noted. Sounded like plastic bag in the fan, truck kept towing, no CEL no lights.

Pulled of the next exit, belt had shred from the front of the belt towards the back of the belt. Belt fiber EVERYWHERE.

All pulleys working, nothing seized, no road debris as the cause either.

Here’s the kicker. Not a single auto parts store (Napa, AZ, Oreily *could not cross reference and did not stock) and not a single Ram dealership with in a 4.5 hour drive stocks/Stocked a single Accessory belt for the 5.7 Hemi WITH E-Torque.

So, if you plan to tow. Bring a breaker bar, and order a belt ahead of time. Part # 5281514aa

Truck is currently at the dealership (was able to limp it home with 1/4 of a belt left after having friend pick up the trailer). By the time we got into town, the E-Torq/Alternator had stopped charging or running electronics.

Dealership is “booked out” for the next 8 days. And advised it would take 5-7 business days to ship the belt to them.

Part # from several Ram Parts Depts 5281514aa.
Mopar.com shows a belt diagram with the listed part number, in the correct configuration, but states that this part number will not fit an ETorq 5.7 Hemi.

So, not even Mopar is sure what belt fits what.
Tried to verify if the belt from a standard 5.7 would work, no dealership I called while broke down could verify.

Thoughts: maybe the ETorq seized momentarily caused the belt to shred but continued working.

Will keep thread updated.
Just wanted to post on the situation I just had with this belt. Brand new 2023 Ram 1500. Only has 600 miles on the truck. While driving down the interstate I got a warning of the engine overheating. Pulled over and got towed to nearest dealer. Water pump belt was completely missing! Coolant all over the place because it got so hot it was pumping out the overflow. Just got truck back and so far so good. I'll update this post if anything else happens.

barrak

Reaction score
You have to go behind the water pump belt to go around the crankshaft pulley. The eTorque serpentine belt is on the inner set of grooves of the crankshaft pulley.

Link to 1 version of the strech tool.

This picture may help.
View attachment 134638

Too bad the main serpentine belt would interfere with the zip-tie trick.

The stretch belt's channel seems is a bit narrow for this suggested Lisle tool to seat properly. Would appreciate feedback from first-hand experience with this or other remove/install tools.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Too bad the main serpentine belt would interfere with the zip-tie trick.

The stretch belt's channel seems is a bit narrow for this suggested Lisle tool to seat properly. Would appreciate feedback from first-hand experience with this or other remove/install tools.
I haven't done this one, but have done stretch to fit belts. Get the right size socket to fit crank bolt, and a breaker bar. Put belt on lower pulley, and as far as you can get on top pulley. Turn crank with breaker bar, while putting pressure on belt, and it will walk on to top pulley.

barrak

Reaction score
I haven't done this one, but have done stretch to fit belts. Get the right size socket to fit crank bolt, and a breaker bar. Put belt on lower pulley, and as far as you can get on top pulley. Turn crank with breaker bar, while putting pressure on belt, and it will walk on to top pulley.
You're probably right... sometimes we overthink these tasks. When the time comes, I'll practice putting in and out the old belt, if I can do so without damaging it, till I get the hang of it before I reach for the new belt.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Has anyone cross-referenced the eTorque drive belt to a Gates Green belt? The GGs are nearly indestructible, although aberrant road debris or pulley bearing seizure will take out any belt. I've run these super tight on S/Cs without issue.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Here's the cross-referenced Gates "Green" Fleet Runner belt info for the eTorque. Gates# K060730HD (Rock Auto $25.79). I crossed this from the Dayco#5060730 which crosses from Mopar#5281514AA (6-rib/73")..which both show as for DT 5.7L eTorque engines.

I ordered the Lisle tool from Amazon just now and am gonna get this belt and a stretchy belt replacement to have on hand just in case.

My 2024, with ~2000 miles, makes a slightly "S/C whine" noise (from the eTorque, I assume)..but only when in Tow/Haul Mode. I like the sound of course, but now want to avoid a belt "meltdown" catastrophe. My instinct tells me any whine is more an indicator of a function or issue with the eTorque generator..not the belts. I would think that T/HM would actually "disengage" the standard generator operation, since it negates Start/Stop, MDS, ECO, etc but I'll have to delve into ETorque more to understand this thought. I'd think the eTorque should be quieter in T/HM than standard mode, but maybe it's because T/HM has higher rpm shift points and more "rev-match" downshifts and possibly that actually strains the generator as it's trying to regenerate the 48v battery or something like that (??).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231209_073839.jpg
    Screenshot_20231209_073839.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Ready Go

Reaction score
Mopar part numbers 5281957AA and also the damaged serpentine belt 5281514AA
Interesting that both of these Mopar Parts #s show they are for 2019-2024 5.7L VVT MDS ETorque RAM 1500s..exact same fitments and pricing. Not able to determine why or what is different between them.

barrak

Reaction score
Here's the cross-referenced Gates "Green" Fleet Runner belt info for the eTorque. Gates# K060730HD (Rock Auto $25.79). I crossed this from the Dayco#5060730 which crosses from Mopar#5281514AA (6-rib/73")..which both show as for DT 5.7L eTorque engines.

I ordered the Lisle tool from Amazon just now and am gonna get this belt and a stretchy belt replacement to have on hand just in case.

My 2024, with ~2000 miles, makes a slightly "S/C whine" noise (from the eTorque, I assume)..but only when in Tow/Haul Mode. I like the sound of course, but now want to avoid a belt "meltdown" catastrophe. My instinct tells me any whine is more an indicator of a function or issue with the eTorque generator..not the belts. I would think that T/HM would actually "disengage" the standard generator operation, since it negates Start/Stop, MDS, ECO, etc but I'll have to delve into ETorque more to understand this thought. I'd think the eTorque should be quieter in T/HM than standard mode, but maybe it's because T/HM has higher rpm shift points and more "rev-match" downshifts and possibly that actually strains the generator as it's trying to regenerate the 48v battery or something like that (??).

I think brake regen is always on and ready to act. Even when I disengage the Start/Stop feature, the truck definitely tends to hold its speed and not runaway as my other vehicles would when going down a moderate grade. That would be a good consistent test to judge if the whine you're hearing is coincident with torque-towards-engine operation.

From what I learned so far, the serpentine belt (while always spinning in the same direction) does experience the stresses of "bi-directional" torque when switching on the fly from alternator (electric generation) duty to restart/regen (motor or mechanical generation) duties.

The more I learn about this e-torque setup, the more I'm impressed by it. For example, In my ignorance (until recently), I thought the Start/Stop feature would cut short the starter's lifespan. Now I realize the starter is totally bypassed during Start/Stop events. Basically, the good old push-starting in modern disguise (or is it "modern guise"?). Changed my mindset from grumbling about the Start/Stop feature to embracing it.

Ready Go

Reaction score
I think brake regen is always on and ready to act. Even when I disengage the Start/Stop feature, the truck definitely tends to hold its speed and not runaway as my other vehicles would when going down a moderate grade. That would be a good consistent test to judge if the whine you're hearing is coincident with torque-towards-engine operation.

From what I learned so far, the serpentine belt (while always spinning in the same direction) does experience the stresses of "bi-directional" torque when switching on the fly from alternator (electric generation) duty to restart/regen (motor or mechanical generation) duties.

The more I learn about this e-torque setup, the more I'm impressed by it. For example, In my ignorance (until recently), I thought the Start/Stop feature would cut short the starter's lifespan. Now I realize the starter is totally bypassed during Start/Stop events. Basically, the good old push-starting in modern disguise (or is it "modern guise"?). Changed my mindset from grumbling about the Start/Stop feature to embracing it.
Totally agree with you and yours thoughts on this. There's an excellent video on YouTube from a couple years ago, where a someone did a drive in an eTorque RAM 1500 with a RAM Engineer riding along and explaining all the attributes to the eTorque engine. All 2022-24 G/Ts mandated the eTorque and I was grumpy about that until I saw that video!
I haven't actually looked to confirm this, but I've been under the impression that the eTorque doesn't have a starter..the generator IS the starter(?).

barrak

Reaction score
Interesting that both of these Mopar Parts #s show they are for 2019-2024 5.7L VVT MDS ETorque RAM 1500s..exact same fitments and pricing. Not able to determine why or what is different between them.
The two part numbers are for the water pump stretch belt ($10) and the main serpentine belt ($60), respectively.

Apologies if I misread your comment.

Ready Go

Reaction score
The two part numbers are for the water pump stretch belt ($10) and the main serpentine belt ($60), respectively.

Apologies if I misread your comment.
My bad, I thought those were both main belts. Mopar Parts showed the price as $12.83 for each of them.
Yep, just reread the post and my brain skipped right over the different belt use and part numbers.👍

barrak

Reaction score
Totally agree with you and yours thoughts on this. There's an excellent video on YouTube from a couple years ago, where a someone did a drive in an eTorque RAM 1500 with a RAM Engineer riding along and explaining all the attributes to the eTorque engine. All 2022-24 G/Ts mandated the eTorque and I was grumpy about that until I saw that video!
I haven't actually looked to confirm this, but I've been under the impression that the eTorque doesn't have a starter..the generator IS the starter(?).
Please allow me to geek out a bit: A typical alternator is a purely electric generator which receives mechanical torque from the engine through the serpentine belt and replenishes the 12V battery. The mechanical heart of the e-torque setup is a glorified "alternator" which is a single device that allows bidirectional energy flow; Feed it current (from the 48V battery) and it will produce motion, or forcefully rotate it (by the engine) and it will produce current. An old and basic electrodynamic technology, really.

During a restart, the 48V battery feeds current to the "alternator", which produces torque, which gets sent through the serpentine belt, which rotates the crank shaft and starts the engine. Hence my allusion to push-starting.

Here is an illuminating quote from How RAM eTorque Works | Green Car Journal

"Alternators only draw modest power from an engine’s accessory drive. However, eTorque’s motor-generators use their accessory drive belt to slow and accelerate these trucks, so the belt must be larger and stronger, and also must wrap farther around the pulley. It also requires a tensioner on both sides to keep belts tight as the motor/generator transitions from generating to motoring. The eTorque Hemi gets a larger crankshaft pully as well that improves the motor/generator’s leverage."

Edit: Regarding whether there's a traditional starter or not; here is a quote from a Zeigler article:

"Because of its greater efficiency in extreme temperatures, both the V6 engine and V8 engine with Ram eTorque technology will keep a traditional 12-volt starter motor, which is ideal for cold starts and the initial start of the day."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread