5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed step WITH multifunction split tailgate.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Another update...

The salesman called me today and now I’m being told “they are not making that step”. The video of the MFT on RAM’s website is there right now showing it. I am beyond frustrated with this....

there’s a part number for the step. I’m gonna make some calls tomorrow to see if I can just order one.

Rick

Jester

Reaction score
there’s a part number for the step. I’m gonna make some calls tomorrow to see if I can just order one.

Rick
I looked for one myself but it’s the part number for the previous model corner mounted one. Let me know if you have any luck!!

Jester

Reaction score
Just found this on Ram’s website under 2019..... 1802CB28-A59A-4861-B7E2-AC0D67D504BD.png

So, it’s not coming out until spring 2020?!?

Last edited:

Jester

Reaction score
Yet another update. I spoke to the Ram/Chrysler rep and the following info came from him.....

The reason I did not get the step with my truck is because when my truck was being built, there was a recall on the step and the new step was not ready when my truck was done. I should have been told this, but I was not. This is all for the CORNER step, which of course will not work when you open the MFT as “barn doors”. The CORNER step is available and can be installed on my truck, free of charge.

The new CENTER mounted step that everyone is seeing in the MFT reveal video, Chicago Auto Show video, RAM’S OFFCIAL WEBSITE VIDEO of the MFT, etc. is “ currently” not available. It is scheduled for 2020 spring release.

I was given the option to take the corner step or wait for the center mounted step. I chose to wait for the center mounted step as I want to use the step when the tailgate is opened like “barn doors”.

He also said there are no guarantees that the new center mounted step will definitely be released, but if everything goes well, it will be released 1st or 2nd quarter of 2020. If it does not come out, I can still get the corner step at that time.

This sucks, but I am willing to wait to get the step I want.

Last edited:

irish91

Reaction score
To whom did you speak at Ram? I’m in the same boat as you and would like to get the bed step. I’d rather have the corner step anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jester

Reaction score
To whom did you speak at Ram? I’m in the same boat as you and would like to get the bed step. I’d rather have the corner step anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
His name is Matt. My apologies, but I do not remember his last name. You might want to call your dealer and ask them for their reps info because from what I understand, different areas have different reps...

RSConsulting

Reaction score
As an interim alternative, I got the weathertech hitch step. It’s still a little higher than the factory step would be - but it gives me a “leg up” into the bed, and gives me some “idiot protection” for the back of my truck.

Rick

Detailed image of product

JV77

Reaction score
@Jester do you have any documentation from the rep or dealer on this matter? My dad just received his 2020 with mft and bug and is being told the mft deletes the step from the bug by the dealer.

@irish91 have you had any luck getting the step?

thanks
His name is Matt. My apologies, but I do not remember his last name. You might want to call your dealer and ask them for their reps info because from what I understand, different areas have different reps...

Havana Joe

Reaction score
On the sticker for my 2020 limited with BUG the step is listed as NAW

i would take this to mean "not available with" same as my surround cameras and tow package :(

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that MFT (multifunction tailgate) is not available on Build & Price website at this time (early December, 2019)?
I think it's just an error on Build & Price website. Has anyone ordered one from the dealer recently, with the MFT option?

MF2020

Reaction score
Hey guys. So, I got a call from my salesman this morning. He told me that Ram admitted it was their fault, it should have been on my truck, my deployable step has been ordered, is on the way and will be installed free of charge. It’s always nice when things go the way they should!!

JustMe

Reaction score
As a consolation, may I offer this (unnecessary) option ? Weston & Weathertech, probably a few others, have a STEP/Bumper that inserts in the Hitch Mount . . . of course if your towing . . . it's a mute call, but then you can just step on the Trailer Tongue ? They cost a LOT LESS than that $600+ price . . . yikes ! Once again seems overtime FCA seems to be getting 'On Track," bam, they manage to Screw It up, AGAIN ! Hmmm, "Fix it AGAIN Tony" syndrome ? :unsure: :rolleyes: :cautious:

jcarcueva

Reaction score
As a consolation, may I offer this (unnecessary) option ? Weston & Weathertech, probably a few others, have a STEP/Bumper that inserts in the Hitch Mount . . . of course if your towing . . . it's a mute call, but then you can just step on the Trailer Tongue ? They cost a LOT LESS than that $600+ price . . . yikes ! Once again seems overtime FCA seems to be getting 'On Track," bam, they manage to Screw It up, AGAIN ! Hmmm, "Fix it AGAIN Tony" syndrome ? :unsure: :rolleyes: :cautious:

I've got a Carr Hitch step and it works perfectly fine on my MFT.

Lets me in and out of the back of my bed with ease. I love the MFT function.

scope1

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited with MFT and no Ram box with no bed step. I bought the weathertech bumpstep as a rear bumper protector but it can be used as a bed step. However, in all honesty when loading the bed all I have to do is lower the truck with the key fob and the bed step is unnecessary. I still love my truck even without a factory bedstep.

Atlram

Reaction score
Hey guys. 1st time Ram Owner. I ordered a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited with the limited 1 equipment group, black appearance package, Ramboxes, multi-function tailgate, 33-gallon fuel tank, bed utility group, e-lock rear axel, trailer brake control, & dual-pane panoramic sunroof.

I received the truck and LOVE it, but when I got it home, I noticed that it was missing the deployable bed step. I called the salesman and told him it was missing. He had me come back and confirmed it was missing. We went back inside and talked with another Ram employee who got on the computer and proceeded to build my truck online to see if the bed step was removed for some reason when you build it. It wasn’t. Then they said they had to talk to the Ram rep. “to find out why I didn’t get the bed step.” I told them, not to be rude, but I don’t care about the why, you guys owe me bed step. Still waiting to hear....

Anyone know what the deal would be other than they forgot to install it at the factory? Also, I notice on regular tailgates, the bedstep is at the left corner of the bed. From pictures, I can see that with the multi-function tailgate, it is just to the right of the left tailpipe. Can anyone with the multifuction tailgate confirm this? Is it a different bed step then the corner one or the same just installed in the different location?
Complain directly to Ram Corporate. I ordered a 2020 with the MFT and BUG in August, took delivery in September. Noticed on delivery the step was missing. The dealer called the rep. The rep came back and said he didn't know why it wasn't there but would investigate. I was offered the regular cover bed step at that time, but decided to wait for the rep to get back to me. Never heard back a week later so i sent an email to the the president of the Ram division. A day later from an executive referrals manager at FCA emailed me. He told me the step wouldn't be available until early 2020 and since it was part of my build offered to have it installed when it became available along with extending my warranty at no cost. If you try to build a RAM now with the MFT in the BUG there is a disclaimer saying the step isn't available with the MFT.

Yukon06

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that MFT (multifunction tailgate) is not available on Build & Price website at this time (early December, 2019)?
I think it's just an error on Build & Price website. Has anyone ordered one from the dealer recently, with the MFT option?
Yes I noticed the same thing. Trying to order Black Appearance Limited with MFT now through our fleet manager and he says he can't configure it either. He is calling the factory to see why. Also saw that the BUG details say the step is not included with the MFT option.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I noticed the same thing. Trying to order Black Appearance Limited with MFT now through our fleet manager and he says he can't configure it either. He is calling the factory to see why. Also saw that the BUG details say the step is not included with the MFT option.
It's funny, but I was with a buddy of mine was at the dealership computer with his salesperson ordering his truck (his salesperson is the fleet manager, with nearly 30 years experience, all of it at Mopar dealers), and they couldn't get his Rebel to have two-tone paint, they thought because they had chosen some option upstream that prevented the two-tone paint choice downstream. They went back through the order process carefully, with a fine-tooth comb, but still no-go on the two-tone paint he wanted. So they went out to look at trucks on the lot, and by the time they got back to the salesperson's computer, the build-in-progress had timed out due to inactivity. So they started building his order over again in a new window, and it let him get everything he wanted the second time, including the two-tone paint. We checked the hardcopy printouts from both build/order sessions that morning, and on paper they were identical. We figured that in the process of clicking on options, then clicking them off, then back on again, that first session got hosed up back at Ram's computer, i.e. a flag got set or unset and it wasn't visible to us sitting at the salesperson's computer screen. Not exactly sure how or why that happened, but the good news is, when he started over with a fresh window, it all went according to plan.
The moral of the story is, if the dealer's ordering screen starts to balk and just won't let you pick options that should not be mutually exclusive, close the browser, delete all of the cookies, etc., and start afresh with a new build/order session, see if that clears up the confusion for you.

Abesosa

Reaction score
What was the outcome with this moulding? My black appearance limited doesnt have this either...

I hope that molding get released soon as well... I want to change my chrome one out... and that step better be released

2019 Ram 1500 Limited Granite Crystal 4x4 with Off-Road Group and air ride
20% Cermanic Tint
USA Flag Decal on rear 5th Window
Xpel Door Edge and door handle Protection
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread