5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed step WITH multifunction split tailgate.

csxedward

Reaction score
Dealer told me that it was deleted because of the split tailgate, it also says on the window sticker thats its not available with the split tailgate. Thats just what I read and was told, it is an option that would be included without the split tailgate. If y'all find out different please let me know, im getting old and need all the help I can to get in the bed. And another thing has anyone figured out how to get a toolbox on these trucks with the supports at the front of the bed?

dannw1431

Reaction score
I just installed the bed step on my ‘21 Laramie 1500 and love it.
fc7fb997b32abd2ea2de0b3fcda75d08.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JdSunrise

Reaction score
Yes it can be done. Modified Mopar P/N 82216265A bed step. Machined mounting flange to clear existing corner step structure, trimmed corner step lower mounting flange & drilled new mounting bolt hole. It worked out slick. Now I have the best of both worlds. View attachment 68407
I’m totally going to rock this as soon as my limited mft arrives
I don’t have BUG so I’ll have to order them both

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m totally going to rock this as soon as my limited mft arrives
I don’t have BUG so I’ll have to order them both
Slightly off-topic from the corner-mount step, but I discovered that I don't need the Center-mount Bed Step with my MFT. I just open the left swing gate, grab the top of the opened left swing gate with left hand, put my right foot on lowest part of bumper in front of license plate, and step up easily into the bed. For me, it's way easier, and stepping on the middle of the bumper feels much more stable (to me) than any collapsible step.
If the truck happens to be parked with the nose uphill, then I'll put my left hand on the open left-side swing gate, my right hand on the closed right-side swing gate, my right foot on the bumper in front of the license plate and pull myself up into the bed. Easy-peasy, no added expense for the step, nothing extra hanging down below the bumper to get caught on a rock.
Of course others might need or want it, so I'm not arguing against either of the Ram bed steps (corner-mount or center-mount), I'm just saying that for me with MFT I found no bed step is necessary and I'm happy I didn't spend a few hundred dollars for something I wouldn't have used. The MFT already adds 1k$ to the price of the truck, so I was glad to discover I didn't have to spend more for a step.
I think GM's steps in the corners of the rear bumpers is the best solution for reaching into the bed with the tailgate closed, Ram's added bed steps are next best after GM for reaching into the bed with the gate closed, Ram's MFT is by far the best for stepping up into the bed, and worst by far is Ford's tailgate-mounted, pull-out step with collapsible handle. Ford's tailgate step is rickety, and it puts my center-of-gravity (CG) in an awkward, precarious position.
Ram's MFT rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread