5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed step WITH multifunction split tailgate.

2020BlackRebel

Reaction score
LOL That's what i thought too, and ordered it. I was wrong. It's a very expensive corner one! Thank you anyway.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
These are back in stock.

82216265AB $ 310.80
Bed Step designed to fit the multi-function tailgate. Provides access to truck bed and hides under the rear bumper when not in use. Made of high strength Aluminium with black e-coat finish.

Ordered mine from Athens (GA) Dodge - $310

I had ordered this in mid August, when they first dropped. Order got cancelled due to back-order status. Was told to check back the beginning of Sept -and apparently they are "in stock" now.

Hope it fits with my bumper step - that would make it perfect for my 27" inseam to have two steps up into the bed.

Rick

Clean13

Reaction score
Yep, after a year, got it today free of charge. They installed it and also did my oil change for free. View attachment 67315 View attachment 67316 View attachment 67317
Congrats man. I'm about to purchase my 2020 with MFT next week. Help me understand...even though the window sticker says the step is NAW with the MFT....are Ram dealers providing them after the fact by default? Or do I need to call them up and loudly protest until they give in?

Jester

Reaction score
Congrats man. I'm about to purchase my 2020 with MFT next week. Help me understand...even though the window sticker says the step is NAW with the MFT....are Ram dealers providing them after the fact by default? Or do I need to call them up and loudly protest until they give in?
The “naw” may was added much later after I had already ordered and received my truck, so they definitely “owed” it to me. Unfortunately, in your case, when you buy the same truck now, it now has the “naw” mft in the bug. However, I would definitely argue the fact that “naw” was put it when the bed step specifically for the mft was not out yet. Now that it is, the “naw” should definitely be deleted. At the very least, I would try to get it thrown in for free as part of your sale. I doubt they would lose a sale over not giving it to you. This is all just my humble opinion. GOOD LUCK!! :D(y)

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A little different discussion. If I could only have one step I would choose the corner step. Why, because when my camper is hooked up the only way I can operate the MFT is as a traditional tailgate and with my short legs, I need a corner step to get into the bed. I could actually use both steps though if I drop my truck to the entry/exit height I can get into the truck with the MFT gates swung open by standing on the bumper step, it's a stretch but doable.

So if you're a normal height person I would say the corner step provides you with the most versatility for getting into the bed.

MF2020

Reaction score
A little different discussion. If I could only have one step I would choose the corner step. Why, because when my camper is hooked up the only way I can operate the MFT is as a traditional tailgate and with my short legs, I need a corner step to get into the bed. I could actually use both steps though if I drop my truck to the entry/exit height I can get into the truck with the MFT gates swung open by standing on the bumper step, it's a stretch but doable.

So if you're a normal height person I would say the corner step provides you with the most versatility for getting into the bed.
Agreed! So if the two do not fit on the truck together then the center step will be sold. I have a rubber step pad on the dip in the center of the rear bumper now. Looks good and looks pretty much stock. It works but would love to have the center step too. We shall see...

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed! So if the two do not fit on the truck together then the center step will be sold. I have a rubber step pad on the dip in the center of the rear bumper now. Looks good and looks pretty much stock. It works but would love to have the center step too. We shall see...
Keep us updated, w/pics

MF2020

Reaction score
Keep us updated, w/pics
The mechanics at my Ram dealership are telling me that there is no way to install both the center bedstep and the rear bedstep at the same time. I will take a close look at his myself this weekend but if anyone has successfully done this please speak up because if this can't be done then I will just stick with the corner bedstep and continue using the rubber bumper pad that I have installed on the center of the bumper where it dips down since it's better than nothing and I really need the corner bedstep for when the tail gate is completely down. Would have been nice to have both.

Abesosa

Reaction score
If anyone is looking to
Sell their corner step so you can get the middle step let me know

2019 Ram 1500 Limited Granite Crystal 4x4 with Off-Road Group and air ride
20% Cermanic Tint
USA Flag Decal on rear 5th Window
Xpel Door Edge and door handle Protection
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limited38

Reaction score
Yes it can be done. Modified Mopar P/N 82216265A bed step. Machined mounting flange to clear existing corner step structure, trimmed corner step lower mounting flange & drilled new mounting bolt hole. It worked out slick. Now I have the best of both worlds. 2020 Limited MFT with both steps_resize.jpg

Last edited:

MF2020

Reaction score
Yes it can be done. Modified Mopar P/N 82216265A bed step. Machined mounting flange to clear existing corner step structure, trimmed corner step lower mounting flange & drilled new mounting bolt hole. It worked out slick. Now I have the best of both worlds. View attachment 68407
Ok so can you take a picture of the underside so we can see exactly how you didi this? Very smart! I have the center step but haven't figured this out yet. Very interested in what you did to make this work.

Limited38

Reaction score
Modified Mopar P/N 82216265A bed step. Machined mounting flange to clear existing corner step structure, trimmed corner step lower mounting flange & drilled new mounting bolt hole. Installed with 3 stainless steel washers as a shim for the offset mounting (due to the corner step bracket). I have a tracing of the finished machined relief (I just have to find it)

Attachments

• 1 - Machining the Flange_resize.jpg
    1 - Machining the Flange_resize.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 2 - Flange Relief - Complete_resize.jpg
    2 - Flange Relief - Complete_resize.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 3 - Corner Step Flange - Trim_resize.jpg
    3 - Corner Step Flange - Trim_resize.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 4 - Corner Step Flange - Trim Complete_resize.jpg
    4 - Corner Step Flange - Trim Complete_resize.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 5 - 3rd hole layout_resize.jpg
    5 - 3rd hole layout_resize.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 127
  • 6 - 3rd hole_resize.jpg
    6 - 3rd hole_resize.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 7 - Shim - Washer_resize.jpg
    7 - Shim - Washer_resize.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 2020 Limited MFT with both steps_resize.jpg
    2020 Limited MFT with both steps_resize.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 134

MF2020

Reaction score
Modified Mopar P/N 82216265A bed step. Machined mounting flange to clear existing corner step structure, trimmed corner step lower mounting flange & drilled new mounting bolt hole. Installed with 3 stainless steel washers as a shim for the offset mounting (due to the corner step bracket). I have a tracing of the finished machined relief (I just have to find it)
Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph this. It is excellent work and I will now attempt to do the same. Just got 30" of snow today so perhaps once the snow melts. Again, thanks so much for the pics!!

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the center step today and it’s great! I don’t have to worry about killing myself stepping up and down in and out of the bed now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barryj2065

Reaction score
Hey guys. 1st time Ram Owner. I ordered a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited with the limited 1 equipment group, black appearance package, Ramboxes, multi-function tailgate, 33-gallon fuel tank, bed utility group, e-lock rear axel, trailer brake control, & dual-pane panoramic sunroof.

I received the truck and LOVE it, but when I got it home, I noticed that it was missing the deployable bed step. I called the salesman and told him it was missing. He had me come back and confirmed it was missing. We went back inside and talked with another Ram employee who got on the computer and proceeded to build my truck online to see if the bed step was removed for some reason when you build it. It wasn’t. Then they said they had to talk to the Ram rep. “to find out why I didn’t get the bed step.” I told them, not to be rude, but I don’t care about the why, you guys owe me bed step. Still waiting to hear....

Anyone know what the deal would be other than they forgot to install it at the factory? Also, I notice on regular tailgates, the bedstep is at the left corner of the bed. From pictures, I can see that with the multi-function tailgate, it is just to the right of the left tailpipe. Can anyone with the multifuction tailgate confirm this? Is it a different bed step then the corner one or the same just installed in the different location?
That is correct with my MFT it to the right of the left tail pipe

AK103

Reaction score
If I remember correctly they initially didn't include the step from the factory on 2020 with MFT due to the redesigned step not being out yet. But it was being installed on trucks that didn't have it and we're suppose to once it came out.

My 2021 had it from factory. Even funny though enough on the window sticker it doesn't mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread