5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know I have asked this question before but does anyone have the bedstep on their truck and also have the magnaflow exhaust with 5" dual tips and do they have any issues with the step's clearance in its closed position?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know I have asked this question before but does anyone have the bedstep on their truck and also have the magnaflow exhaust with 5" dual tips and do they have any issues with the step's clearance in its closed position?
What magnaflow are you asking about specifically? I’m not sure if mine has 5” tips or not

mike12193

Reaction score
What magnaflow are you asking about specifically? I’m not sure if mine has 5” tips or not

Yup I have the Magnaflow. It does make contact when you retract the step. It is kinda violent so I took a grinder and took a bit off the step on the piece making contact. Not it was only making contact when closing, when fully retracted it cleared by about a 1/4 inch. It is much better now and I can retract it without watching the left tip shake and slam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John

Reaction score
Mine did, so I went to a muffler shop and had them "massage" the pipe a bit. No more contact!

John

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup I have the Magnaflow. It does make contact when you retract the step. It is kinda violent so I took a grinder and took a bit off the step on the piece making contact. Not it was only making contact when closing, when fully retracted it cleared by about a 1/4 inch. It is much better now and I can retract it without watching the left tip shake and slam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
*And this is why I love this SITE* -Thank you. I like the grinder mod.

Tvk999

Reaction score
I installed the amp bed step and I'm happy with it. Paid 260 it arrived in a couple days from auto accessories garage. Installation was easy. be advised you do have to substitute of the M8 bolts for a longer one 44 millimeters Will do it nicely. Easy step up and down plenty of surface area.
I have the AMP here and I am trying to install it but can't figure out where to attach the supporting bracket ... could you post a pic of your install ? Many thanks.

DennisY

Reaction score
Check the pictures on Page 1 of this thread and see if they pertain to your step.

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
I have this step coming to me tomorrow and plan on installing this . my question is do I really need to buy torque wrench To install this ? I have a **** load of tools because I’m a HVAC mechanic by trade but never got myself a torque wrench . Are we using it for removing the existing bolts or for tightening them . I’m pretty confident in my strength .????

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I have this step coming to me tomorrow and plan on installing this . my question is do I really need to buy torque wrench To install this ? I have a **** load of tools because I’m a HVAC mechanic by trade but never got myself a torque wrench . Are we using it for removing the existing bolts or for tightening them . I’m pretty confident in my strength .????
I installed mine without a torque wrench initially and used it for about 9 months until it got replaced and never had an issue

Jako

Reaction score
Just finished install on my Oct 2018 build. The two long bolts starting to rust (little disappointed) so a little effort taking out, cleaned up with a red scruffy pad and went in easier. I didn't use any WD40 or such as I wanted a proper torque, 13/16" or 21 mm, 12 pt makes it a little easier than a 6 pt if using a breaker bar as that was all I had at the time. I wasn't plannng to install and after taking a look decided to throw it on with my limited supplies. Torque up later.
Nice addition and helpful when cleaning and conditioning tonneau cover. Thanks to all the previous posters.

Update: I did the 124 ft/lb torque on the bolts and must say that was some serious cranking down under the truck. I was having trouble getting the "click" at 124 ft/lb and thought I might have something wrong with my torque wrench. I backed off to 110 and worked my way up, nothing wrong with the torque wrench, just needed some serious cranking.

Last edited:

smoke8r

Reaction score

Nibis

Reaction score
Installed the factory bedstep a couple of weeks ago, no contact with the Borla 5 inch tips. I love the step, worth the money. My wrench did slip off the bottom bolt and i slammed my knuckles into the spare tire shield. My finger still hurts, LOL

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the factory bedstep a couple of weeks ago, no contact with the Borla 5 inch tips. I love the step, worth the money. My wrench did slip off the bottom bolt and i slammed my knuckles into the spare tire shield. My finger still hurts, LOL
But how is the wrench doing?

Jako

Reaction score
It's in time out
That's the problem today, no individual responsibility, it's the wrenches fault.:)
Hope your hand is doing well.
Thought I popped my hernia operation cranking down with the torque wrench to get to 124 ft/lbs.

MF2020

Reaction score
That's the problem today, no individual responsibility, it's the wrenches fault.:)
Hope your hand is doing well.
Thought I popped my hernia operation cranking down with the torque wrench to get to 124 ft/lbs.
Right?! That is a hell of an angle to work at under the vehicle trying to apply enough muscle to get 124 ftlbs!!! LOL. I just did it myself not too long ago and practically ripped the muscles in my shoulder doing it. A lift would have made all the difference!!

Users who are viewing this thread