5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

MachineX

Young and retired in Texas...
Reaction score
I just dropped it off with dealership and let them mess with all that. They said it was easy enough, so they wouldn't charge me anything.

Pickups_321

Reaction score
So I got my Mopar bed Step..i.e., "Step Kit-Side - 82215289AB ", yesterday and mounted it. Took a couple of pictures of the mounting points. Just three bolts hold it on. Attached are the included mounting instructions and a couple of pictures.

Did you use a torque wrench or just guesstimated? Also, what do you think about using Loctite on the bolts?

Wxgs333

Reaction score
Got the step from mopar america. How did you guys remove the existing bolt? Just force unscrew it? Maybe I am not using the right tool but it is just too tight to remove... Any tricks?
Maybe I just drop it to dealer and ask them to install it for me when I come in for oil change....

geotex1

Reaction score
Got the step from mopar america. How did you guys remove the existing bolt? Just force unscrew it? Maybe I am not using the right tool but it is just too tight to remove... Any tricks?
Maybe I just drop it to dealer and ask them to install it for me when I come in for oil change....

Removing the existing bumper bracket bolt for the install isn't hard but you do need to use the right tool for the job. It's torqued to 130 ft-lb so go after it with a 6-point socket on a 1/2-inch ratchet or flex handle.

geotex1

Reaction score
Just got my first RAM and so far I love it, also have an 08 JKU so fairly familiar with putting parts on myself but this thing has more sensors and electrical stuff than i'm used to. Ordered the bedstead from MoparAmerica and it came with 3 bolts and 1 nut, not sure if I'm missing anything? Looked under my rear bumper to figure out where it bolts on and see there is a big pack of wires and wondering how they need to go so they don't get messed up after bolting on step?
Thanks for yalls help.

It's not difficult. You're not disconnecting anything. You're just freeing the lower of the two harnesses from its existing position and then need to ziptie it to the higher harness or use a loom retainer with smaller size tree stud to fit the hold in the step mount. Hardest part of the job is holding it in place to thread the bolts if you don't have a helper.

20181226_160831.jpg

20181226_160709.jpg

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Talked to parts department last week and they can't get them right now. They told me to check back in a month or two? I'll try to talk to the service manager and see if it should have came with my package and if they will pay for it since it should have. If not I'll just order it online.
Also didn't get the bed extender pins to mount the bed extender, have to talk to him about that too. This is a joke, it's listed in the brochure and should come with our trucks but we don't get them. I'm not happy.

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
Got my step last week in the usual mangled box. I really can't believe they ship these out like that. At least throw some popcorn in the box to prevent the gaping holes from the step hitting the sides during shipping. Anyway, all the hardware was there. Very easy install and I just zip tied the wiring harness, not a big deal at all. A little tip, I find retracting the step after it's been deployed is easier if you are facing the rear of the truck and just push the edge of the deployment tab forward instead of trying to just push the front edge of the step. The front edge of the step requires a little upwards pressure as well as forward pressure which feels a little awkward to me. The steps works great and is positioned perfectly. I wish I could get one for the right side too.

Wxgs333

Reaction score
Removing the existing bumper bracket bolt for the install isn't hard but you do need to use the right tool for the job. It's torqued to 130 ft-lb so go after it with a 6-point socket on a 1/2-inch ratchet or flex handle.
Thanks man. Exactly, I went to get a torque wrench and then everything was so easy... The only thing that I spent some time was to insert the wrench into the place.

Cudapower

Reaction score
Its really funny as I read these posts. Its been great and thank you all for the pictures and part number. What is weird is that people that try to order from dealers get no where. I tried before reading these posts and my dealer who is a really big dealer checked and Ram said they were in redesign and wont be available until later in 2019 and the 2018's wont work. After you guys enlighened me, I called Mopar America on Dec. 27 and it shipped in 2 days. Pretty sad showing Ram.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Talked to dealership today and unless your window sticker says "deployable STEP SIDE" in the "Bed Utility Group" it does not come with your package. So no go on the dealership giving it to me.
Also talked to them about the Bed extender pins to mount bed extender and they said that the 2019's do not come with the pins! If you want them you have to pay for them. :mad:

ablock

Reaction score
Talked to dealership today and unless your window sticker says "deployable STEP SIDE" in the "Bed Utility Group" it does not come with your package. So no go on the dealership giving it to me.
Also talked to them about the Bed extender pins to mount bed extender and they said that the 2019's do not come with the pins! If you want them you have to pay for them. :mad:

I got nowhere with either "get me the step for free" or "can I buy it for the price it now costs to add it to a build?" ($195). However, I was able to get the bed extender pins ordered for free (they were "a Christmas present" according to my salesman) so you should try again on that one.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Screw them! I'm not going to waste my time going back there again. Salesman talked to the service manager, they even printed up paperwork that shows it doesn't come on the 2019. I just ordered everything from Mopar America. I won't buy anything from that dealership.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Just got an email from Mopar America and step is on back order, no ETA. It says it's being reengineered by FCA and they don't know when it will be available. Also contacted Mopar Wholesale and they don't have it either. Pins on back order too. that's just great.:confused:

JV77

Reaction score
Oh man, I ordered the bed step from MoparAmerica yesterday as well. I haven’t received the backorder email yet, but based on @IndianaRam’s post the email is probably going to show up anytime.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Mine was’t from MoparAmerica but a different site that’s based the same Mopar e-store front and it was cancelled an hour later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JV77

Reaction score
Just got an email from Mopar America and step is on back order, no ETA. It says it's being reengineered by FCA and they don't know when it will be available. Also contacted Mopar Wholesale and they don't have it either. Pins on back order too. that's just great.:confused:
@IndianaRam - If you haven't contacted MoparAmerica about this it might be worth a call. I got shipment confirmation and tracking number last night and the package is in transit today. Hopefully it is the right part. I wonder if they have multiple people fulfilling these orders, some who check the FCA hold list and others who don't.

Pickups_321

Reaction score
I just installed mine. Got it from MoparAmerica. Very straightforward (thanks for the pics).

duke990

Reaction score
I know this a forum for the 2019 RAM but I have a 2018 classic with the dual exhaust and hate the way the AMP research bed step looks. Does anybody know if this new bed step will work on the older RAM body style?

Users who are viewing this thread