5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Lighting Kit

Pressgrove

Reaction score
LUX Lighting Systems. I went with short bed and white

I loved the idea of magnetic mounting, but the Lux Lighting seemed a little steep to me. If I was putting it under the truck, I would pay up. Under the bed rails is pretty low risk (in my opinion, anyway).

I opted to make my own magnetic mounts. I purchased these lights and these magnets from Amazon. Both have adhesive backing, so I was sticking adhesive to adhesive which worked really well. The magnets are really strong, and the LEDs are available in different colors if that's your thing.

The light kit came with four per side, which would be perfect for a long bed. For my short bed, I removed one light from each side; there is a connector (in photos) between each light so it was really simple.

I opted to go through the front stake pockets (or where they would be). I have a Bedrug so the wires were easy to conceal. I crossed the passenger side wire through the frame rail to keep it clear of the exhaust and drive shaft. There is a slight risk of the wire rattling in that cavity, but I doubt you'd ever hear it with the vehicle in motion (I'll report back if it turns out to be a problem). I would not use this method if you don't have rear wheelhouse liners, as the wiring would be too exposed. I spliced into the cargo light wire in the back door jamb and grounded to a body panel support bracket that was easy to get to (I put dielectric grease on all of the connections except the one in the cab).

I replaced the factory cargo lamps (and 3rd brake lamp) with LEDs from Diode Dynamics. These can be had cheaper on Amazon, but some have had issues with key fob interference with those. So far, the reports on the Diode Dynamics LEDs are all good (and so far, no issues with mine either).

All up and in, I'm still <$100 and am very pleased with the result.

Bulbs.jpg Magnet & Light Back.jpg Magnet & Light Front.jpg Magnet & Light Stuck.jpg Front Pocket.jpg Finished.jpg

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I loved the idea of magnetic mounting, but the Lux Lighting seemed a little steep to me. If I was putting it under the truck, I would pay up. Under the bed rails is pretty low risk (in my opinion, anyway).

I opted to make my own magnetic mounts. I purchased these lights and these magnets from Amazon. Both have adhesive backing, so I was sticking adhesive to adhesive which worked really well. The magnets are really strong, and the LEDs are available in different colors if that's your thing.

The light kit came with four per side, which would be perfect for a long bed. For my short bed, I removed one light from each side; there is a connector (in photos) between each light so it was really simple.

I opted to go through the front stake pockets (or where they would be). I have a Bedrug so the wires were easy to conceal. I crossed the passenger side wire through the frame rail to keep it clear of the exhaust and drive shaft. There is a slight risk of the wire rattling in that cavity, but I doubt you'd ever hear it with the vehicle in motion (I'll report back if it turns out to be a problem). I would not use this method if you don't have rear wheelhouse liners, as the wiring would be too exposed. I spliced into the cargo light wire in the back door jamb and grounded to a body panel support bracket that was easy to get to (I put dielectric grease on all of the connections except the one in the cab).

I replaced the factory cargo lamps (and 3rd brake lamp) with LEDs from Diode Dynamics. These can be had cheaper on Amazon, but some have had issues with key fob interference with those. So far, the reports on the Diode Dynamics LEDs are all good (and so far, no issues with mine either).

All up and in, I'm still <$100 and am very pleased with the result.

View attachment 26073 View attachment 26074 View attachment 26075 View attachment 26076 View attachment 26077 View attachment 26078

How’s your lomax doing for you? I have some pretty decent water intrusion at the tailgate I can’t seem to fix and I want to get a Bedrug but am worried about it getting soaked and musty.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
How’s your lomax doing for you? I have some pretty decent water intrusion at the tailgate I can’t seem to fix and I want to get a Bedrug but am worried about it getting soaked and musty.

I posted a long response to you last Friday about how I thought mine was staying dry and why (Post #76 here). Later that same night I noticed mine was a damp. Truck had been sitting for days, but in the rain. I let it dry out Saturday, then drove 1.5 hours in a hard driving rain that evening. Checked it after and it was bone dry.

I think it does better driving than sitting honestly. I haven't noticed any foul smells back there, but I could see it happening. I'm not that worried about it being 100% watertight..... unless it starts to smell.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I added the small LED kit that was included in my Access Limited cover kit, and it light s it up great.. (for a one sided small battery powered kit.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted a long response to you last Friday about how I thought mine was staying dry and why (Post #76 here). Later that same night I noticed mine was a damp. Truck had been sitting for days, but in the rain. I let it dry out Saturday, then drove 1.5 hours in a hard driving rain that evening. Checked it after and it was bone dry.

I think it does better driving than sitting honestly. I haven't noticed any foul smells back there, but I could see it happening. I'm not that worried about it being 100% watertight..... unless it starts to smell.

I’m sorry for the re-ask. I just really want to keep this thing and ask every truck I see and forget to check if I already asked.

TheRamMan

Reaction score
By wiring it the way the original post shows most of these kits come with a switch attached as well can you use the switch to turn it on and off as well as the rear cargo light switch. If I wanted the bed lights on but not the rear cargo lights sometimes when the dogs are in the back

heydre

Reaction score
Man....hope those LED strips hold up...ALOT of these no name Chinese LEDs will start flickering or just stop working in months. There are a few good quality ones but you have to dig through the fake reviews and such...fingers crossed they hold up.

RoosterWyo

Reaction score
I wonder if these LED strips can be wired in with the OEM bed lights? Do you think the circuit would support the current draw?

~Rooster
2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn

Shannonw

Reaction score
Thanks for the input on which wire to use! Worked out great. Love the added light under my tonneau cover.

Attachments

• IMG_20190614_221611.jpg
    IMG_20190614_221611.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 263
  • MVIMG_20190614_221519.jpg
    MVIMG_20190614_221519.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_20190614_221627.jpg
    IMG_20190614_221627.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20190614_221623.jpg
    IMG_20190614_221623.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 261

Matt_T

Reaction score
Great info everyone thank you but I have a question. If i splice into the wire in the kickpad in the cab will the installed bed light turn on everytime the cargo light does? That could get annoying since that light turns on at times I wouldn't even need it.

Shannonw

Reaction score
Great info everyone thank you but I have a question. If i splice into the wire in the kickpad in the cab will the installed bed light turn on everytime the cargo light does? That could get annoying since that light turns on at times I wouldn't even need it.
Yes it does, but mine is wired with a button as well, and if I push the button it will disable the lights completely so they don't turn on ever.

RodRow

Reaction score
After a few months, and hundreds of uses, my inexpensive light kit and simple install is working perfectly on both of my 2019 Rams. I’d do it again and again!

Mantequilla_305

Reaction score
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group so I missed out on the bed lights, which are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And now you have bed lights for under $20. PS, If you run into an issue where the aftermarket lights don't work I recommend swapping the cargo lights mounted in the third brake light housing to LED, that has solved the issue for the couple of people it happened to. Here's a link to the set that I used.

View attachment 4851 View attachment 4852 View attachment 4853 View attachment 4854
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group so I missed out on the bed lights, which are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And now you have bed lights for under $20. PS, If you run into an issue where the aftermarket lights don't work I recommend swapping the cargo lights mounted in the third brake light housing to LED, that has solved the issue for the couple of people it happened to. Here's a link to the set that I used.

View attachment 4851 View attachment 4852 View attachment 4853 View attachment 4854
Can you share what light strips did you use ? Thanks and it looks awesome.

dacm99

Reaction score

I’m going to swap the bed lights for the LED one linked in this thread . Has everyone also swapped out the red brake light bulb to LED? (I know it’s just red plastic covering a clear bulb).

dacm99

Reaction score
I’m going to swap the bed lights for the LED one linked in this thread . Has everyone also swapped out the red brake light bulb to LED? (I know it’s just red plastic covering a clear bulb).
never mind, answer is at the top of this page.

Users who are viewing this thread