5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Lighting Kit

SacRebel

Reaction score
My access limited cover came with a battery powered LED.. Once I get it installed (needs to be over 60 degrees) I will let you know how it is, but after having the bed sprayed, I like not having to get into the wiring, do not know how long the batteries will last... and they turn off after 3 mins...

Was it a Mopar light or another manufacturer? I think a battery powered LED without the hassle of wiring sounds good to me.

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
I am putting these in once I spray my bed this week.
A little to big for the hole so I cut a spacer out of nylon cutting board
Mounted to the plastic plugs
Hope it works

Attachments

• 20190322_141005.jpg
    20190322_141005.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 311

C.AdamsMo.RAM

Reaction score
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group which means I missed out on the bed lights that are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And boom, you have the bed lights for under $20. View attachment 4851 View attachment 4852 View attachment 4853 View attachment 4854
Wow! Thanks for sharing with the community bud! I have been thinking about doing this, you just made it so much easier! Haha

Puffgreen

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I installed my lights yesterday everything worksgreat

My truck didn't come with the bed utility group which means I missed out on the bed lights that are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And boom, you have the bed lights for under $20. View attachment 4851 View attachment 4852 View attachment 4853 View attachment 4854
[/QUOTE]

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
Did mine today and I ran the wire through the
Extra hole that is under the floor cooler.
Notched the tray so no bind on wire

Attachments

• 20190404_131409.jpg
    20190404_131409.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 328

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you who bought eBay lights to mount in the stock holes at the rear of the bed, would you mind sharing links to the specific lights you bought, and describe how you mounted them? (cool idea with the cutting board @Rtl Colorado)

I have seen a few eBay lights that might work but it would be good to hear if one actually fits/works before ordering... it is eBay you know.

I know there are several links to led strip lights, I just prefer the idea of using the stock positions and avoiding adhesive that may fall off over time in the elements. Thanks again to @Jordan2929 and all who have added info here, this is a great thread.

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
I will attach the link and actually turns out mine were Amazon
They are not too bright as the face slightly forward
I used epoxy to attach to the factory plug
As I did not want to put additional holes if the lights bit the dust
The lights I got have plastic housing which I ground down to make a better fit

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
Had them on for long period of time to check the drain and if the system had any issues
With the LED cab bedlight all is good
(So Far)

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
The nice thing on wired lights is they turn on when you open something.
The installation is easy just takes a little time and on a difficulty scale 1.5
Easier than hanging xmas lights
Use a wire splice squeeze connectors on the hot and the 2 ground wire bolts by the taillights

tegan

Reaction score
I went a different route. I wanted to have a switch in the back to turn it on and off when needed but I was concerned that I might leave it by mistake and kill the battery. I discovered this cool little device. It has like 26 different functions that you can program. It is only $20. I have the device hooked into the constant power provided by the trailer connection. I have a momentary switch connected to the device that can turn the lights on and off. If I leave the lights on it will automatically turn them off after 20 minutes. You can program the time. It is a really cool device. It is not waterproof so I just sprayed it with some rubber undercoating to seal it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Timer-Delay-...=timers+5+amp&qid=1555506746&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Attachments

• timer.JPG
    timer.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0708.jpg
    IMG_0708.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 267

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group so I missed out on the bed lights, which are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And now you have bed lights for under $20. PS, If you run into an issue where the aftermarket lights don't work I recommend swapping the cargo lights mounted in the third brake light housing to LED, that has solved the issue for the couple of people it happened to. Here's a link to the set that I used.

View attachment 4851 View attachment 4852 View attachment 4853 View attachment 4854
Love the post but I have a couple questions.

1. How many strips did you install? I plan on installing 4. 2 on each side wired together and then running the passenger side over to the driver side, connecting them all and then hook up for power.

2. The white and tan wire you speak of, that is for the cargo light correct(just so I’m clear)?

3. Do you have a link for the correct LED light for the cargo light?

Thanks for the help.

Jordan2929

Reaction score

1. How many strips did you install? I plan on installing 4. 2 on each side wired together and then running the passenger side over to the driver side, connecting them all and then hook up for power.

2. The white and tan wire you speak of, that is for the cargo light correct(just so I’m clear)?

Thanks for the help.
1. I installed one strip on each side.

2. The white and tan wire is for the cargo light mounted on the top of the cab.

3. The link in my original post is for swapping out the factory incandescent light to led.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Thanks for the help.

I don’t think you will need 4. These strips are bright, especially at night. Do you have a Tonneau cover? If so, even bright since it traps all the light. I’d start by outing one in each side. You don’t even have to stick them in place, just put them there temporarily and then hook a battery or jump pack up and see how they look. Do it at night.

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
1. I installed one strip on each side.

2. The white and tan wire is for the cargo light mounted on the top of the cab.

3. The link in my original post is for swapping out the factory incandescent light to led.
Thank you for the response.

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
I don’t think you will need 4. These strips are bright, especially at night. Do you have a Tonneau cover? If so, even bright since it traps all the light. I’d start by outing one in each side. You don’t even have to stick them in place, just put them there temporarily and then hook a battery or jump pack up and see how they look. Do it at night.
Thinking about it, you’re probably right. One on each side will work just fine. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread