5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS 4" vs. Rough Country 5" for 2020 Air Suspension

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if you can run 325/60R20 BFG KO2’s with the BDS 4” kit on a 2020/21 Limited w/Air ride without rubbing issues?

I see that Utemachine ran them with the RC lift, wondering if any rubbing with the BDS kit....
I can't confirm but I think you would be fine. People run 35x12.5 with just the 2 inch leveling kit with no rubbing. So a 4 inch lift and those tires should be fine. You'll start to rub with anything over 1" spacer or aftermarket rims with too high of a negative offset.

Brazen LTD

Reaction score
FYI: BDS finally released a kit for the 2020 Ram 1500 with air suspension. They have also added multiple kits for the 2020 Rebels.

I ended up getting the Rough Country 5" lift as I did not know when the BDS kit was going to release. From the research I have done, I saw no significant issues with the RC kits and decided that, for me, the RC was a good option as I do not need the best/ most durable kit as I do not do much off-roading.

She's currently in the shop getting it installed. I'll keep you guys updated and post pics when I get her back.

Any chance of seeing those pics with it installed?? The more the merrier!

Sorceress21

Reaction score
For anyone waiting on the BDS Air Ride lift kit for the 21' Reb I spoke with BDS yesterday and they expect to certify 2021' fitment by Mid-year. Possibly sooner. The guy said Covid is slowing them down and they now have several 21' model year test trucks available. Just a matter of doing the install, testing and checking.

And for the life of me why anyone in their right mind would put Rough Country anything on a 60k truck is beyond me. This baffles me on every level. They just don't make a good product anymore but if look is what you care about over performance, reliability, wear and ruggedness and you just want a lifted mall-crawler then by all means go RC. I don't know what happened to that company. They actually used to make some good stuff but no longer. Do your research on the brand. Don't just go by RAM applications as I'd say the majority of RAM and full-sized pickup owners in general don't do much trail driving. That makes a huge difference. If your idea of "off-roading" is a gravel Forest Service road, and for some it is and that's just fine, then why lift it at all?

I'm a form should follow function kinda gal when it comes to my rig. I want performance first, look second. Always remember that the single most important system on your rig that impacts performance isn't your suspension height, it's the driver.

You also need to think long and hard about the following: It was explained to me by the guy I spoke with at BDS that even the BDS kit won't really give you any significant additional front ground clearance if you have the Air Ride system with the ORP, it's essentially a "body lift" in the front. To keep the CV alignment geometry correct the BDS kit will include a bracket that drops the cradle a bit so your only real gain will be in OR mode (with the ORP you don't have OR2 anyway). In Aero you'll likely lose some height and in Normal Ride Height it'll be more or less a wash. The kit will push the body up off the front end adequately to ensure no rub if you go to 35's which will add another inch or so of GC too. Keep in mind if you have a heavily optioned Rebel your max payload is already bad. Mine is at 1283. Adding 35's, a heavy duty BDS kit is gonna add some significant weight to your rig. You'll noticeably lose on road "oompf" in your acceleration , get worse MPG from an already atrocious stock MPG and put more strain and wear on your drive/powertrain. With all that in mind you shouldn't stop with just a lift kit. You really might want to consider some engine upgrades or custom tunes that boost output and get your engine running more efficiently.

It's also my opinion that altering the factory suspension geometry (especially with offsets) even with a high end kit like BDS will make your Air RIde system less reliable as it's impossible to not add stain to the system when you stretch it's capabilities. Unless you really feel you need that 1 to maybe 1.5 inch increase in ground clearance up front for the type of off pavement driving you do, other than aesthetics, there's no reason to lift this truck when it's bone stock capability is among the best out of the whole US made 2021 truck lineup. I'd say it comes in as #3 behind the TRX and the Raptor without a single mod.

I'm sure there are those who will disagree but in the case of the 21' Air Ride Rebel I just don't see any significant capability increase with the BDS kit and definitely not with the RC though you'll get more height with that kit for certain. I'm on the shelf with doing it myself and because I admittedly do love the look of a lifted truck I'm trying to justify it. But every time I think about reliability on the trail (especially the Dempster Hwy and Inuvik/Tuk road trip I want to do) I start peeling away from altering the suspension other than perhaps upgrading the shocks, swing arms, sway bars etc.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of anything because if you want a lift then you're gonna lift it. I'd just like all my Ram brothers and sister to know what they are getting into. I didn't know any of this until someone who knew their stuff educated me on Off Road mods long ago after some painful and expensive lessons., and I'm still learning every time I hit the trail.

Don't take my word on any of this, just do your research before dropping coinage! Fitment isn't everything!!

Last edited:

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Well that was a hell of a rant...

To each their own I suppose. But agreed, RC doesn't have the best track record, however it's my opinion they've gotten better in recent years. I have two buddies with 2019 rams that have been lifted for the past 2 years on RC lift and take it offroading with no issues at all. I personally do not care to take my 75k truck offroading currently, I just prefer the look of a slightly lifted truck on 35s. Obviously it drops the mpg, but an extra 2-3 mpg is nothing in my opinion. I also wouldn't say the stock fuel economy is atrocious. My 2021 limited is fully loaded with every option and 4x4 and I was averaging 22mpg before my lift. Granted that's mostly highway driving but that's still pretty damn good in my book. I prefer to have a beautiful daily driver (pavement princess) and a separate dedicated off road rig, something that costs a lot less than my daily that I don't mind getting a dent or scratch on. I've put a beating on my 88 yota over the past 15 years.

Also, if BDS made a 6 inch lift for the air ride I would've went with them. But I'm not paying over 2k for a measly 4 inch lift.

goviper99

Reaction score
Well that was a hell of a rant...

To each their own I suppose. But agreed, RC doesn't have the best track record, however it's my opinion they've gotten better in recent years. I have two buddies with 2019 rams that have been lifted for the past 2 years on RC lift and take it offroading with no issues at all. I personally do not care to take my 75k truck offroading currently, I just prefer the look of a slightly lifted truck on 35s. Obviously it drops the mpg, but an extra 2-3 mpg is nothing in my opinion. I also wouldn't say the stock fuel economy is atrocious. My 2021 limited is fully loaded with every option and 4x4 and I was averaging 22mpg before my lift. Granted that's mostly highway driving but that's still pretty damn good in my book. I prefer to have a beautiful daily driver (pavement princess) and a separate dedicated off road rig, something that costs a lot less than my daily that I don't mind getting a dent or scratch on. I've put a beating on my 88 yota over the past 15 years.

Also, if BDS made a 6 inch lift for the air ride I would've went with them. But I'm not paying over 2k for a measly 4 inch lift.
What lift kit do you have on your 2021 Limited?

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
I installed the BDS 4" air suspension kit for the 2019 on my 2020 Limited Ecodiesel. If fit perfect. Only issue we ran into was the directions show the install for a hemi. The Ecodiesel required some improvising for the R&I of the front diff bracket. Kit works perfect, all modes operate as they should. I am running 35x12.50R22 Ridge Grapplers. It does not look like 37" tires could be make to fit withhout significant metal cutting. View attachment 63874 View attachment 63875
Beautiful setup! What is the offset on those wheels and what wheels are those?

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
I’ve got the 5in RC lift on my 2020 limited with air ride. Only have 500 miles on it so far but no complaints yet. Was initially going to go with the bds, which supposedly does work on the 20’s but they were back ordered and I didn’t want to wait.
How are you still looking your kit? After a year with it? Ride quality versus stock?

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
I’ve got the 5in RC lift on my 2020 limited with air ride. Only have 500 miles on it so far but no complaints yet. Was initially going to go with the bds, which supposedly does work on the 20’s but they were back ordered and I didn’t want to wait.
How are you still looking your kit? After a year with it? Ride quality versus stock?
I have 2020 limited with air ride, went with RC lift, ride great View attachment 67675 View attachment 67676
Beautiful.. what are your wheels and specs/offset?

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
I love it, It rides super smooth. I like the look in OR1 and wish it were that height but of course that’s the trade off with air ride. I used the RC calibrator to correct the speedo. I went with 325/60/20’s which are noticeably bigger than 35’s. I had the tire shop mount up a 35 on one side and the 325’s on the other and the 35’s looked a little whimpy in comparison.
How much cutting did you have to do after it was installed? Or zero rubbing?

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I know that the thread has been cold for a month but I was wondering if anyone with thee RC lift can share their driving experience. From what I gather, it is a bit rough when compared to the BDS. I have a 2020 Longhorn with air suspension and I am looking at 22x10 wheels with 35” tires. Most likely will go with the Fuel Blitz and ridge grapplers. Thanks!
Same question here

skny

Reaction score
Look at the Carli suspensio. Go to CBC off-road website. Carli is awesome stuff
I don’t know if this is an attempt at spam or what. I cannot find a “CBC off-road” website (just some FB page - and all indicators are that the business is permanently closed). I also checked Carli and they do not offer any lifts for air suspension Rams, just a 2.5” coil kit that is extremely expensive. Nothing to do with air suspension which is what this thread is all about.
Just wanted to save others the time/effort to look this up themselves when they come across that post in this thread.
Regarding BDS vs RC kits, wow on that giant thread bashing RC and then getting into way too much detail about either lift. Maybe that’s nice for someone who doesn’t know a whole lot about suspension and cares about that level of detail - but most people are getting their lifts for appearance / stance and will do very little off-roading. Mild trail riding and beach driving occasionally is my guess but 99% pavement princesses. Clearly either kit achieves the goals of those who have installed them: great looks & good driveability.
I normally love BDS (and Zone for that matter) - but they’ve dropped the ball on this one. I would gladly pay more for a 6” or even 5” kit from them. But no way I can justify spending the extra $1k for a shorter kit that take a month or more to ship in most cases. I just get the feeling that air suspension kits are their red headed step child and they don’t care much about meeting the market demand for that category. Too bad. Based on what I’m seeing, there are a ton more Ram 1500’s with air suspension now, starting with the 5th gen release.
I’ll be going RC 5” myself.

chuck01835

Reaction score
I installed the BDS 4" air suspension kit for the 2019 on my 2020 Limited Ecodiesel. If fit perfect. Only issue we ran into was the directions show the install for a hemi. The Ecodiesel required some improvising for the R&I of the front diff bracket. Kit works perfect, all modes operate as they should. I am running 35x12.50R22 Ridge Grapplers. It does not look like 37" tires could be make to fit withhout significant metal cutting. View attachment 63874 View attachment 63875
What ride height is this picture taken at?

Reaction score
Anyone with the RC 5” kit have overall height measurements? Trying to compare for fitting through the car wash 🧼😃

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with RC lifts. My previous trucks have had BDS or Readylift. I've checked with 2 shops that specialize in lifted trucks and both literally refuse to install RC lifts. One said "we avoid RC like the plague." When question further, he explained that they regularly get trucks in with RC lifts, asking to be fixed with a better lift. The other shop said they just learned that they can't make the majority of customers happy with the RC lifts so it was easier to quit installing them completely.
I am tempted to give RC a chance given the unavailability of BDS, but in my mind have a hard time justifying a cheaper made alternative on a top dollar truck. Given, cheaper may mean good enough. I just don't know...

I will say, BDS has been behind on all lift developments over the last 2 or 3 years, not just air ride. They won't move fwd with any new year model lift without in house install for fitment confirmation. I had to wait a long time for them to release their 2020 non air ride lifts last year, and got tire of waiting on them for my 2019, hence the one Readylift experience, which did give me some headache.

Users who are viewing this thread