5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS 4" vs. Rough Country 5" for 2020 Air Suspension

CleveG

Reaction score
Ordered my 4inch air BDS kit in 1st week of August still waiting. Called BDS they said it could take up to 10-12 weeks. Which puts my new ETA between Oct 16 to the 30th.
Please let us know how that bds kit work out…thanks

Waterfowler

Reaction score
9200 miles in on my RC 5” lift and absolutely zero complaints or issues. I will say that I have the EcoDiesel and used the 22” wheels in the black Appearance package. I just installed 2” spacers and this causes rub. A 22x10 rim may be safe but wanted to mention this for the OP. No rub in OR2. Slight rub on hard turn in OR1. Rub in Normal or below. I have a limited and diesel totally loaded so probably the lowest payload if that contributes at all, and for what it’s worth.
Curious how your engine and transmission have performed with the lift and tires. I'm debating whether to lift my 2020 Limited EcoDiesel or switch to gasoline truck. Have heard reports of EcoDiesel not staying in 8th gear on highway. I experience substantial turbo lag with base 22" wheels and tires. Hesitant to make the investment for fear of future performance issues.

Jr22

Reaction score
Just got the call today Kit (BDS 4inch air ride) and Tires (35X12.5R20) are at the shop! Soonest they can get me in is the 15th! ALMOST THERE

skny

Reaction score
Curious how your engine and transmission have performed with the lift and tires. I'm debating whether to lift my 2020 Limited EcoDiesel or switch to gasoline truck. Have heard reports of EcoDiesel not staying in 8th gear on highway. I experience substantial turbo lag with base 22" wheels and tires. Hesitant to make the investment for fear of future performance issues.
I think your gear ratio is the biggest factor. 3.92 not so much falling out of 8th. 3.21, expect it more often with bigger/heavier wheels and a lift.
Granted I’m speaking of HEMI experience, but the gears are biggest factor for what you’re asking. My 3.21 HEMI with the RC 5” and 35’s drops a lot now and MPG is around 12.5 MPG (a lot of 3+ mpg).

Domt1775

Reaction score
I have basically the same truck and lift, and that is absolutely OR2.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk
Thanks brother, how do you like the lift? Any issues with getting anything covered under warranty? Heard lifting will void warranty for the powertrain

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
Thanks brother, how do you like the lift? Any issues with getting anything covered under warranty? Heard lifting will void warranty for the powertrain
I've not actually had to do any warranty stuff for the powertrain, so I can't speak to that. I also use a pretty great dealer in VA called Safford, and they haven't said anything other than "nice truck".
The lift is good. Everything feel solid. Drives like stock. Fuel economy sucks major butt though.

skny

Reaction score
Whoever told you that a lift will do a blanket void of the powertrain warranty doesn’t know what they’re talking about. For any repair, a dealer will have to prove something aftermarket caused a failure to particular component for it to not be covered. Lifts have almost zero to do with the powertrain. Maybe if the driveshaft was extended and IT failed, there might be a case. But suspension is suspension is suspension. Obviously replacing suspension parts will affect factory suspension component warranty - and that should be it. Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act…

Last edited:

Domt1775

Reaction score
ertrain. Maybe if the driveshaft was extended and IT failed, there might be a case. But suspension is suspension is suspension. Obviously replacing suspension parts

Just got the call today Kit (BDS 4inch air ride) and Tires (35X12.5R20) are at the shop! Soonest they can get me in is the 15th! ALMOST THERE
Congrats! How did it turn out?? Id be interested to see some before and after pictures! Also, how did it affect your MPGs?

Jr22

Reaction score
Congrats! How did it turn out?? Id be interested to see some before and after pictures! Also, how did it affect your MPGs?
I will let you know when its installed :D. Date was set for the 15th of last month. Showed up on 11-15 shop opened up the kit and BDS sent out the WRONG knuckles! New install date is set for 12-16.I ordered this kit back in august and the shop is an hour and a half away from where I live. Kinda sucks but driving there back and forth and the wait I'm just what ever about the kit now lol. Im 1000% sure millage with take a hit, but then again I bought this truck to haul my bikes for track days not a daily driver mpg beast.

bankr

Reaction score
I will let you know when its installed :D. Date was set for the 15th of last month. Showed up on 11-15 shop opened up the kit and BDS sent out the WRONG knuckles! New install date is set for 12-16.I ordered this kit back in august and the shop is an hour and a half away from where I live. Kinda sucks but driving there back and forth and the wait I'm just what ever about the kit now lol. Im 1000% sure millage with take a hit, but then again I bought this truck to haul my bikes for track days not a daily driver mpg beast.

I'm very curious to hear how you like this lift and the choice of keeping the air suspension. I've got the invoice for replacing the air suspension with a Zone 6" lift with and Fox 2.5 coil overs (with wheels/tires), but I'm trying to do all my research before I pull the trigger. I would like to keep the air suspension, however, after speaking with a Ram service manager and him explaining how many trucks are having issues with almost all aspects of the air suspension, it concerns me that it may just be a matter of time for my truck. Hmmmm...what to do, what to do.

Jr22

Reaction score
I'm very curious to hear how you like this lift and the choice of keeping the air suspension. I've got the invoice for replacing the air suspension with a Zone 6" lift with and Fox 2.5 coil overs (with wheels/tires), but I'm trying to do all my research before I pull the trigger. I would like to keep the air suspension, however, after speaking with a Ram service manager and him explaining how many trucks are having issues with almost all aspects of the air suspension, it concerns me that it may just be a matter of time for my truck. Hmmmm...what to do, what to do.
This was my first truck purchase I have ever had so I test drove the 20 raptor,20gmc denali, ect ect the ram limited was the clear winner in my option for the purpose I was looking for. The air suspension and the way it rode was one of the things that made it stick out to me. I dont see a lot of members having issue with their air suspension even the ones on leveling links. Im curious was what issue the ram service manager is referring to, are you going to be doing to be doing major off roading? I am curious to see how an air sus ram will do in a decent trail.

Domt1775

Reaction score
This was my first truck purchase I have ever had so I test drove the 20 raptor,20gmc denali, ect ect the ram limited was the clear winner in my option for the purpose I was looking for. The air suspension and the way it rode was one of the things that made it stick out to me. I dont see a lot of members having issue with their air suspension even the ones on leveling links. Im curious was what issue the ram service manager is referring to, are you going to be doing to be doing major off roading? I am curious to see how an air sus ram will do in a decent trail.

I second this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bankr

Reaction score
This is my 7th truck and i’ve lifted several of them. I chose the limited because of all the comforts and bells and whistle‘s and at first I thought I would just do a 4 inch BDS on the air suspension. I do prefer a more solid ride than the air suspension gives you and that’s why I’m entertaining removing it.

it comes down to a numbers game and whether or not your particular truck will have issues or not. i’m on the fence as to whether I gamble and do the lift on top of the air suspension or not risk it and just do a similar lift that I’ve had in all my other lifted trucks.

as I said I’m interested to see how your experience goes and add it to my long list of truck owners and service advisors and four wheel shops opinions… And make my choice within the next month or so.

Jr22

Reaction score
I have heard nothing but amazing reviews on air ride rams with either the 4inch bds or 5inch RC lift. Most people are saying its a little bit stiffer ride after the lift maybe that will give you the more solid ride your looking for? Have you looked into a hell wig sway bar upgrade? For me I absolutely love the way the air ride on the truck. it def gives it a better ride than any other trucks with coil over set ups that I have tested.

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
I have heard nothing but amazing reviews on air ride rams with either the 4inch bds or 5inch RC lift. Most people are saying its a little bit stiffer ride after the lift maybe that will give you the more solid ride your looking for? Have you looked into a hell wig sway bar upgrade? For me I absolutely love the way the air ride on the truck. it def gives it a better ride than any other trucks with coil over set ups that I have tested.
I've always been curious how much of a difference the hellwig would make for people with the RC 5" lift. One of these days I'll probably just have to pick one up.
I would also add that any additional stiffness after the lift is marginal at best. Still a very nice ride.

Jr22

Reaction score
I've always been curious how much of a difference the hellwig would make for people with the RC 5" lift. One of these days I'll probably just have to pick one up.
I would also add that any additional stiffness after the lift is marginal at best. Still a very nice ride.

I have had not heard one bad review with either 4inch BDS or 5inch RC lifts on any air ride 5th gens so far. Like you said the stiffness can always be mitigated and also subjective based on Tire brand, tire psi that person is running/ tire size combo. So many factors needs to be considered as well and that can be adjusted

bankr

Reaction score
Just got home from trying something with the air suspension. I set the height to off road 1 and turned off the aero mode, but when i was going just above 40ish mph, it gave me the 'slow down or we're going to lower your truck dude' message....and it did. I hate that I can't pick any ..of the height settings and then it stays there. Maybe there's a way...

Jr22

Reaction score
Thats normal, For Entry/Exit mode anything over 8mph the truck will raise itself to aero mode. in or2 anything over 15mph I believe it will go down into OR1, OR1 limit is 40mpg. There is also a setting that if you go over 55mph the truck will go into aero mode

Users who are viewing this thread