5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS 4" vs. Rough Country 5" for 2020 Air Suspension

jbsbama

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited w/ Air Suspension and I'm looking to put the BDS 4" lift on it with 35x12.50 on 22x10s. However, this is where the problem starts...

1) The installer, RCA Performance, called me saying that the 2019 BDS kit won't work on the 2020. So I called BDS and they confirmed that is true because there was a frame change on the 2020s and they don't have a 2020 kit yet. This is weird because I go on to YouTube and see several videos of people claiming to have installed this kit on the 2020s with no issues.
2) Rough Country's kit is my second option and back up plan. Their kit claims to work on 2019s and 2020s which I see may be true based on the YouTube videos out there.

So is BDS wrong and their 2019 kit will actually work on 2020s or is RC wrong and their kit will actually only work on 2019s? I'm curious to see if there is anybody out there who can confirm they have installed the BDS 4" w/air ride on a 2020. We all know it's made for the 2019.

Lastly, give me your thoughts on which one you would go with and why regardless of the questions I've outlined above.

Razilla76

Reaction score
If like to know as well. Bumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Subd as well. I can confirm that everything you said seems to be true. But I don’t know the answer either, it seems bizarre to me that ram would make changes already.

FTS also has a new kit coming out, supposed to be a true 6” (or 7”) kit, that can be stretched to 8” (or 9”) in the short term. But now I don’t know if it’s going fit 19S or 20s if they are actually different.

And if they are different, now all the companies have to make new kits.

And then you got the wheel hub bs too to contend with.

/end rant

Diddy Sanchez

Reaction score
I’ve got the 5in RC lift on my 2020 limited with air ride. Only have 500 miles on it so far but no complaints yet. Was initially going to go with the bds, which supposedly does work on the 20’s but they were back ordered and I didn’t want to wait.

TXECOD

Reaction score
I ordered the BDS kit for my 2020 Limited 2 days ago from a local distributor. They told me the kit would ship in about a week.

jbsbama

Reaction score
I ordered the BDS kit for my 2020 Limited 2 days ago from a local distributor. They told me the kit would ship in about a week.
OK. Give us an update after the install if you don’t mind please sir.

jasnak

Reaction score
OK. Give us an update after the install if you don’t mind please sir.
I ordered the 2019 bds 6inch for a 2020 ecodiesel rebel. Hope to have it installed by the end of the week. Bds just hasn’t had a chance to test fitment yet. Lots of companies have 19-20 lift kits with no different part numbers. Even the last gen trucks have same part number for ecodiesels and reg gas truck. I may be wrong but I’m gonna try it out.

okcstormtrooper

Reaction score
ive got a 2019 slammed with ihc 4/6 drop on 295/35R24 now im going different setup with my other truck a 2020 limited with air ride . im really wanting to go with 37 inch tire but im having a problem finding the right answer. going with the 5rc kit and really want to pick out some tires.

thorstr

Reaction score
I have been waiting 5 weeks so far for a BDS lift to be delivered for my 2020 Ram Limited Night Edition. Just reading here about the issue with compatibility. I called BDS and they said they were still waiting for "engineering" to approve the current lift for 2020's. Anyone successfully install one on a 2020? Concern it would void their warranty.

TXECOD

Reaction score
I installed the BDS 4" air suspension kit for the 2019 on my 2020 Limited Ecodiesel. If fit perfect. Only issue we ran into was the directions show the install for a hemi. The Ecodiesel required some improvising for the R&I of the front diff bracket. Kit works perfect, all modes operate as they should. I am running 35x12.50R22 Ridge Grapplers. It does not look like 37" tires could be make to fit withhout significant metal cutting. tkrhside2.jpg tklhside.jpg

thorstr

Reaction score
I installed the BDS 4" air suspension kit for the 2019 on my 2020 Limited Ecodiesel. If fit perfect. Only issue we ran into was the directions show the install for a hemi. The Ecodiesel required some improvising for the R&I of the front diff bracket. Kit works perfect, all modes operate as they should. I am running 35x12.50R22 Ridge Grapplers. It does not look like 37" tires could be make to fit withhout significant metal cutting. View attachment 63874 View attachment 63875
Man that looks great! I bought the same tires and have purchased these brushed black wheels to go on my 2020 Limited 4x4 Night Edition https://4playwheels.com/4p80-3/. My only concern was if this would void the BDS warranty. They just replied and said they will have a new kit out for the Airride 2020 Rams in 3 months.

TXECOD

Reaction score
I helped my tech do the install, and we didn't run into anything different on my 2020, compared to a 2019 we had in the shop at the same time, that would require any changes to the 2019 kit. My truck's production date is 11/3/2019, so it was an early 2020. Maybe there is a difference in the later production 2020's. I spoke with BDS when I ordered my kit and they assured me their "no fine print" "no questions asked" parts warranty would not be compromised on my install. Honestly, the parts in this kit are so robust and well built, that I doubt there would ever be any issues. The knuckles that come with kit are CNC machined, and made from some of the heaviest iron I've ever seen. The kit seems to be very "over built".

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
I'd be interested in a side by side quality comparison between the BDS 4" and the RC 5" kits. I know people say that RC used to have significant quality problems, but have apparently greatly improved in recent years. I figured, for the price difference, it was worth a shot. So far, my experience has been good.

Last edited:

Big Will

Reaction score
TXECOD - How did you correct the front drive shaft? I have been told by BDS that the front drive shafts on the 2020 EcoDiesels are 4 inches shorter than the gas. The lift will work, but over time, your driveline will wear badly and to correct, you need to have a custom drive shaft made. Would like to know how yours is working out and if you made any adjustments to the front drive shaft? Thanks.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TXECOD - How did you correct the front drive shaft? I have been told by BDS that the front drive shafts on the 2020 EcoDiesels are 4 inches shorter than the gas. The lift will work, but over time, your driveline will wear badly and to correct, you need to have a custom drive shaft made. Would like to know how yours is working out and if you made any adjustments to the front drive shaft? Thanks.

Interesting. Hadn’t heard that.

jasnak

Reaction score

I don’t get how the driveshaft would be a different length. The transmission mount, transfer case would be in the same position on the frame as a gas truck. I have a 2020 rebel ecodiesel with the 2019 bds lift kit and it installed with no issues. Exactly the same install as a 2019 ram the installer said.

TXECOD

Reaction score
I am a little concerned about this info so I am looking into it. I am a CDJR parts manager and have looked up the part #'s for both shafts. The part # for the 5.7 front drive shaft is 68259561AA, and the part # for the ecodiesel front drive shaft is 68259562AA, so there is a difference. I don't have access to engineering dimensions, but I do have access to weights. The Eco shaft is almost a ound lighter. I am going to go pull a 5.7 and my Eco-diesel truck in the shop later today and measure the drive shaft lengths. The BDS 5.7 kit came with a spacer for the front shaft. If the difference was actually 4 in., I don't see how the shaft would have been long enough to engage the splines of the transfer case..

Big Will

Reaction score
I am a little concerned about this info so I am looking into it. I am a CDJR parts manager and have looked up the part #'s for both shafts. The part # for the 5.7 front drive shaft is 68259561AA, and the part # for the ecodiesel front drive shaft is 68259562AA, so there is a difference. I don't have access to engineering dimensions, but I do have access to weights. The Eco shaft is almost a ound lighter. I am going to go pull a 5.7 and my Eco-diesel truck in the shop later today and measure the drive shaft lengths. The BDS 5.7 kit came with a spacer for the front shaft. If the difference was actually 4 in., I don't see how the shaft would have been long enough to engage the splines of the transfer case..
Thanks TXECOD. Please keep us posted!

Users who are viewing this thread