5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Base 6 speaker upgrade options?

The problem with mixing different speakers of different ohm ratings is there is no way to level match. This will really skew an already terrible soundstage. A 4ohm speaker will draw roughly half the wattage of a 2 ohm speaker. That's significant. Now if the speaker going in is considerably more sensitive, you can make some of this back, but it's really a crap shoot. I guess you need to determine what's important to you.

The problem with mixing different speakers of different ohm ratings is there is no way to level match. This will really skew an already terrible soundstage. A 4ohm speaker will draw roughly half the wattage of a 2 ohm speaker. That's significant. Now if the speaker going in is considerably more sensitive, you can make some of this back, but it's really a crap shoot. I guess you need to determine what's important to you.

I was wondering if that would be an issue. All the other speakers are Infinity 3ohm. Per the verbage on the Crutchfield site: 'these 3-ohm speakers work in combination with the speaker wire in your car so your car stereo sees a true 4-ohm impedance.'

So I don't know if it ends up being the same as 4ohm? The system sounds good right now and noticeably better with the Focal speakers. I did figure if it caused any issues, I'd eventually get a set of Focal 6.5" components: Put the 6.5" in the doors and put the tweeters in the dash. Then move the 6X9 to the rear. So still a possibility. Though one factor might be my poor hearing. Not sure if I'd be able to tell a difference.

Also thought of returning the Infinity 3.5" in the dash and getting either the Hertz or JL 3.5" which are both 4ohm. Though like mentioned above, Crutchfield says they won't fit in the dash. The stereo shop that did the amp and sub was going to use the Hertz and said they'd fit. Those are the same price as the Infinity, JL is $50 more. Doesn't look like Focal makes a 3.5" coax.

I think you meant, the speaker wire would result in a 2 ohm load? Ohms don't raise with resistance. That's kind of a B.S. sales pitch regardless. That being said; speakers ohm loads do vary based on frequency being played. A/M speakers are most likely more sensitive than OEM, so it probably works out relatively close.

Crutchfields recommendations are all based around 100% factory fit. They won't recommend something they haven't tried, or anything that is not 100% drop in. I stuffed Gladen PP80's into my factory dash locations. It required some modification to the factory grille, but nothing you'd ever be able to tell from the outside. Looks 100% OEM.

I think you meant, the speaker wire would result in a 2 ohm load? Ohms don't raise with resistance. That's kind of a B.S. sales pitch regardless. That being said; speakers ohm loads do vary based on frequency being played. A/M speakers are most likely more sensitive than OEM, so it probably works out relatively close.

Crutchfields recommendations are all based around 100% factory fit. They won't recommend something they haven't tried, or anything that is not 100% drop in. I stuffed Gladen PP80's into my factory dash locations. It required some modification to the factory grille, but nothing you'd ever be able to tell from the outside. Looks 100% OEM.

It's as I stated on the Crutchfield page under 'Excellent power handling'

I might consider doing Focal components later and putting the tweeter in there. Though might sound better leaving a 3.5" coax in there.

It's as I stated on the Crutchfield page under 'Excellent power handling'

I might consider doing Focal components later and putting the tweeter in there. Though might sound better leaving a 3.5" coax in there.

Theoretically that is correct; in practical application, not so much.

As mentioned, at the end of the day, ohm loads vary so it's really a crap shoot when mixing and matching with OEM speakers.

Theoretically that is correct; in practical application, not so much.

As mentioned, at the end of the day, ohm loads vary so it's really a crap shoot when mixing and matching with OEM speakers.

I don't have any OEM speakers left. So it's 2X Infinity 6X9 and 2 Infinity 3.5" that are 3ohm. Plus the Focal 6X9 (front) that are 4ohm. So it sounds good now, not sure if changing anything/everything else to 4ohm would make it sound better or not really make much of a difference. Plus tempted to upgrade the 3.5" anyway if it will improve the sound. Figure the rear Infinity 6X9 won't make much of a difference because it's mostly just for fill. Though there does seem to be an improvement in the mid bass with the Focal that was lacking with the Infinity, just not sure that would make a difference enough to replace the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back