5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Base 6 speaker upgrade options?

Bansheeman6100

Reaction score
I've done a good bit of reading, but wanted to target some specific questions and get some further opinions. I am.by no means an audiophile, but am sick of the base setup. My truck is a 2020 Bighorn, base, and im fairly sure the only options are the 5.7 and 4x4. Budget will heavily depend on opinions and options. Im not trying to build sub boxes, or go crazy.

I have installed the Phoenix 13.6, and had a set of 5 fatal pro's that I bought last year off a local forum member before I realized I had the 6 speaker system. So I assume that adding the additional speakers wouldn't be as hard since I have multiple rca outs on the new head until, but im not sure how they would interface with the factory harness, or if I would have to run new cables to every location

Are the wires by chance run to the locations there are not speakers? If not, would it be worth it to add the center dash speaker, and the rear headliners? Or should I buy 4 nice door speakers, and sub/Amp combo and call it a day? I considered installing just 2 of the fatal pro's, but I remember reading the dash speakers in the 6 speaker are 8 ohm, and the rest are 4ohm. And my fatal are the 4ohm

rick619

Reaction score
I just bought one last week and will probably replace all the speakers, add a small sub and amp. Still just barely starting to research, but used to be an audiophile 30 years ago lol. So tentative plans are 6.5" separates in the front doors, and whatever will fit in the other front slots, I think 3.5".

For the back, probably go with some decent 6.5" coax. The rear is mostly just fill, so no need to spend a bunch of money in the rear. Though could stick with a better 6X9 since they provide decent mids.

For bass, probably a single 8", under the rear seat unless there's a better spot.

spyder

Reaction score
I'd love to upgrade my base stereo but haven't found any simple installs yet and don't want to do it bad enough to go deep. Tagging for what info may come about.

Jedi9

Reaction score
I am interested in this as well. Is it possible to add an amp to the base system and keep all controls working? I assumed the can bus runs the show.

rick619

Reaction score
I am interested in this as well. Is it possible to add an amp to the base system and keep all controls working? I assumed the can bus runs the show.

Yes you can since nobody wants to replace the head unit in modern vehicles. I'll probably get mine done in the next year or so.

Jedi9

Reaction score
I would be interested in doing this. I assume you run new wiring to the speakers from the amp. It's backwards thinking from my Jeep. I replaced the head unit and speakers and kept the factory amp.

Bansheeman6100

Reaction score
I would be interested in doing this. I assume you run new wiring to the speakers from the amp. It's backwards thinking from my Jeep. I replaced the head unit and speakers and kept the factory amp.
What I'd like to do is that, replace the corner dash speakers, add the center speaker and the rear headliners possibly. And then the door speakers

I'm not sure how this would all interface with the factory speaker wiring. Would it actually be as easy as just plugging the new speakers into the rca in the back of the Phoenix 13.6"?

rick619

Reaction score
What I'd like to do is that, replace the corner dash speakers, add the center speaker and the rear headliners possibly. And then the door speakers

I'm not sure how this would all interface with the factory speaker wiring. Would it actually be as easy as just plugging the new speakers into the rca in the back of the Phoenix 13.6"?

Pretty sure you would need new wiring running from the amp to the speakers. I haven't done an amp in a while, but assume you need a DSP as well.

I'll do separates in the front, but don't think you need much for the back, it's just fill. Unless you want it to sound good for people in the back seat. Just depends on your budget.

One thing I've been wondering: If it's a 6 speaker system in a Big Horn, then what is in this front center enclosesure? And what is that ball sticking out on the right side?

Ram-Front-Center.jpg

Reaction score
thats the auto headlight sensor. you will want to do a ANC bypass as far as decent replacement speakers i got these and it claims renewed i got what looked to be new never opened. the factory door speakers are trash!!! i kept the factory head unit and added a rockford DSR1. i saw no need for a huge screen in the middle of my dash.
total for all items below is 200 bucks. click the links
option 2 is what i would put in
you could run that amp in tri mode bridge the rear on a sub or run it as a 4 channel

Last edited:

Jedi9

Reaction score
Nice, so the Rockford DSR1 is like $350 at Crutchfield, with option 2 + the amp you could be all in for a grand

Jedi9

Reaction score
Where would the option 2 speakers go? In the dash or doors? and what fits the dash? It looks like your first option would be change all door speakers

rick619

Reaction score
Where would the option 2 speakers go? In the dash or doors? and what fits the dash? It looks like your first option would be change all door speakers

The 6.5 mid would go in the doors. Not sure where the tweeter would go. Pretty sure the dash corners are 3.5". So you could fit the tweeter in there if you're taking out the oem 3.5" and not doing a 3.5" replacement.

So still not sure about my picture of the front center. @1791 said the ball in the corner is the headlight sensor. I'm assuming if it's a 6 speaker system, that there's no speaker in there, just an empty enclosesure?

Bansheeman6100

Reaction score
I went ahead and put the Amazon speakers, ANC bypass, and the baffles in my cart for now. But im REALLY tempted to go all in, and drop the extra cash.

So, would it be best or beneficial to run new rca to every door speaker? Or just to new locations if I add the rear headliners and center console? And would the fatal pro's I have still work with the infinitys?

Bansheeman6100

Reaction score
The 6.5 mid would go in the doors. Not sure where the tweeter would go. Pretty sure the dash corners are 3.5". So you could fit the tweeter in there if you're taking out the oem 3.5" and not doing a 3.5" replacement.

So still not sure about my picture of the front center. @1791 said the ball in the corner is the headlight sensor. I'm assuming if it's a 6 speaker system, that there's no speaker in there, just an empty enclosesure?
Correct. I opened mine yesterday, and its empty but had the bracket

Bansheeman6100

Reaction score

See, this placement makes me much more interested in maybe spending the extra money. 2 sets would get both doors, the front dash corners, and the rear headliner as well.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Getting interested myself. The front dash speakers are 3 1/2" but you could put component tweeters up there easily. Still the Infinity References are a great pricepoint, run them in the Jeep.

Jedi9

Reaction score
The 6 1/2s look deep. Someone needs to measure the door to see if they fit lol.

Jedi9

Reaction score
3" mounting depth, but I bet they punch good, you may could run without a sub

rick619

Reaction score
3" mounting depth, but I bet they punch good, you may could run without a sub

That could be a factor. If running without a sub, might want to stick with 6X9 in the rear. Those can be pretty decent for bass. Though some 6.5" are also decent for bass.

My '04 Jeep has a small sub in the center console. Didn't want to spend much money, so ended up doing 4X 5.25" coax (2 front, 2 rear) and no amp. Though went with an aftermarket Sony head unit because it's old so nothing tied into the OEM radio. Sounds decent for what I spent. I did JL 5.25" coax in the front, Kicker 5.25" coax rear and just installed it all myself since there's no amp or anything complicated.

6.5" are going to sound better. Especially with an amp.

Reaction score

yeah option 2 comes with the adaptors for the tweeters to go in the place of the factory mids in the dash corners. front center is not really needed IMO with the dsr1 dsp you get time alignment for staging. i went all out with that setup it gets louder than most want to get. crew cab has alot of enclosure options if you have quad cab fox acoustics is really the only wat to go. i have a quad cab it's pretty loud and clear with alot of bass. i like it the infinity's got great reviews on amazon from ram owners i guy with the alpine system complained i guarantee it's because he kept the factory alpine amp. my door 6.5's are 2 + 7/8 i believe the 3 inch would not be a problem.
i don't want to step on toes but my friend at work has a 2023 that had that alpine or the harmon with the headliner speakers we thought it was not up to our par so. he dropped his truck off at a good shop in my area paid 5k for a all jl setup. custom box for 2 jl 10's rear doors front components and a 900 dollar jl 5 channel amp kept the 8.5 screen. sounds pretty good at 5k i hope so. he thinks mine sounds better i got about 1600 in mine but i did my own install if i had the money i would have just paid to have it done with my equipment. i would not add headliner speakers. he abandoned the center and headliner speakers.
i look like a D4S fan boy lol i have been a fosgate guy for over 25 years. quality and price D4S is hard to beat
i got this amp for 250 and it's unblameable. very powerful. as in i can't believe it's a 5 channel that is doing it all. look at the measurements and break out a tape measure. the pick makes it look huge but it's not really that big.
Down4Sound JP95 RED | 1500W RMS - 5 Channel Amplifier

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 14
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 14
  • box3.jpg
    box3.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: