5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

zignice

Reaction score
I only drive about six miles a day just around town. I am averaging about 11 mpg.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's still an open center diff, right? Not sure there would be binding b/n front and rear because it would work the same way as a rear axle that is open; the left and right (front and rear) can still spin independently. I always thought you only ever got binding when you locked the diffs, which is a separate thing from 4x4 itself.

My Jeep has permanent 4x4 engaged, doesn't even have a "low" though all but the "basic" models do come with the 2 speed transfer case.
Is there a center differential on 4WD trucks? My Jeep GC had one and was full time 4WD and had a low range as well. Totally different and way more sophisticated and capable than Ram's 4WD system. I wish Ram would offer Quadra-Drive II. I'd pay for that.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just read up. Our trucks don't have a center diff and should only be used in 2WD or 4-Auto on dry pavement to prevent premature wear or damage. In keeping with this thread's subject, fuel mileage suffers also. :rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO:

YawnY

Reaction score
Just read up. Our trucks don't have a center diff and should only be used in 2WD or 4-Auto on dry pavement to prevent premature wear or damage. In keeping with this thread's subject, fuel mileage suffers also. :rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I think you are confused between a differential and a transfer case. Any vehicle with front driving and rear driving wheels has a transfer case or a transaxle (like an awd or fwd transmission).

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Put your truck in 4WD High and try to take a sharp turn.

Straight from the owners manual...

1625bc24f8ecf63f80a4d706f000da21.jpg

19reb

I've owned a dozen or more 4x4 trucks and every one of them binded up while turning on a dry surface while in 4HI and 4LO. Forward and reverse and sometimes worse in reverse.

I'd say it's the nature of the beast. Never heard of a central differential either. How would that even work? You have to be talking about the transfer case. 150% certain.

My Rebel has active shutters I believe. Still 11mpg with 2750 miles on the odometer.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
Think my truck is breaking in finally, I drive at minimum 904 miles a month just running back and forth to work and that's all highway/freeway between Houston and Corpus, it's not too far off what my 4.10 geared F150 Tremor was.

24156 24157

Barney556180

Reaction score
As a reference, here’s my 2019 Laramie Sport 4X4, Hemi no eTorque, 3.21 rear.

Average over the last 850 miles using 87 unleaded. Local driving up to 60.
3aea7176f79e0e6993a68cb9ae18e76b.jpg

Last edited:

FirstimeRAM

Reaction score
this is off my 1999 ford diesel cc that i drove like I stole it 20 years and ave’d 16mpg. They had no illusions about gas mileage and just left it off the sticker. I wish Ram did the same, then I wouldn't have had any expectations on mileage. 24155
This is off my GMC, an obvious lie! haha! They must do these tests on the salt flats. Certainly not in the great-northwest where we have these things called “mountains” and “steep hills”. I don’t believe I have “floored-it” even once since I have owned it. I am babying-it, since it’s new. I can only imagine what the mileage will be like when it’s broke in and I start driving normal(for me). 10? 9? We shall see. I still love the truck btw, but damn! I thought my 1SS 1LE camaro got bad mileage. I didn’t buy the rig for the mileage, I would just like seeing a little more honesty by the manufacturer. There’s no way these things get 22, unless you’re driving it like the little ole lady from Pasadena!

SB89

Reaction score
First long road trip in the books. To say I am pleased with this truck is an understatement. I averaged 23mpg from Chicago to SW Wisconsin for this fishing trip. VERY hilly region in Wisconsin and the truck kicked butt even with my lead foot and aggressive driving. (And the fishing was great too!)

Attachments

• E4E5A53F-DC6E-42ED-8A37-F1BE5B57DECD.jpeg
    E4E5A53F-DC6E-42ED-8A37-F1BE5B57DECD.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 41

19reb

Something I haven't considered and maybe others as well, is the difference in altitude between the bad mileage and the good mileage trucks. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. I know DA makes a difference on drag strips to make things even across the board. But could it also affect mileage? If it effects air/fuel and boost pressure I can see it affecting mileage. But can the effects be as extreme as what we're seeing?

My altitude is just around 600ft in most places I drive. It varies a couple hundred feet here and there, but nothing major and mostly flat.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm at elevation and I get good mileage in my truck, especially on the highway.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you are confused between a differential and a transfer case. Any vehicle with front driving and rear driving wheels has a transfer case or a transaxle (like an awd or fwd transmission).
Not confused at all. I knew the truck has a Dana transfer case. Says so in the sales literature. Another poster said he thought that it had a center diff. I read up to confirm. Another poster claims it's ok to run in 4-High all the time. I can't see how.

Not all rear drive 4WD vehicles lack a center diff. The Jeep Grand Cherokee has both a center diff and transfer case for low/high range plus locking axles on the Trail Rated version. 100% torque to any wheel. I wish Ram offered the QuadraDrive II system!

NDRam

Reaction score
I just got my truck back from the dealer. They say just keep driving it. Break it in more they say. Not sure where the 500 mile break in went. But my truck has 2600 miles on it.

How many miles we got to drive these things till they "break in"?

11B/H/C - Far as I'm concerned, we all work toward the same common goal. Kill the enemy efficiently and effectively. Hit em' till they stop moving or die tryin'!

I just hit 5000 miles and mileage is getting better. Average 18.1 on this tank and that is mostly in town.

reigninslayer

Reaction score
Anyone else getting less than 14mpg? My 4th gen got way better economy. I know it’s a truck and I don’t expect amazing economy, but i do expect to get what I got out of my 4th gen which was 16-17, and also does anyone have a vibration coming from the drivetrain when In 4wd hi or auto?

2nd fuel up. Fuelly says 15 mpg. My truck computer says 15.1 mpg. 75% city driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRRouse

Reaction score
My city mileage is on par with my '15 Tundra, 13ish. Highway is significantly better than my Tundra ever did. If I can keep it under 85, my highway MPG is 19+.
I started toying with the mid-grade 89 octane last two tanks. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the city, but highway does seem to be better. Last tank the mid-grade was a 6% premium, but it generally runs a little more than that.
Making a ~750 mile road trip this weekend. I plan to run the mid-grade to see if it's any cheaper per mile.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My city mileage is on par with my '15 Tundra, 13ish. Highway is significantly better than my Tundra ever did. If I can keep it under 85, my highway MPG is 19+.
I started toying with the mid-grade 89 octane last two tanks. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the city, but highway does seem to be better. Last tank the mid-grade was a 6% premium, but it generally runs a little more than that.
Making a ~750 mile road trip this weekend. I plan to run the mid-grade to see if it's any cheaper per mile.
I don't think it's possible to increase MPG with a higher octane; higher octane just prevents pre-ignition, it doesn't give you better MPG.

Barney556180

Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to increase MPG with a higher octane; higher octane just prevents pre-ignition, it doesn't give you better MPG.

The only MPG increase from higher octane would be if the ignition timing is routinely retarded to avoid ping/pre-ignition, such as when towing.

Then, a higher octane (resistance to detonation) would allow more timing advance, which all else equal, is more efficient.

If the ignition is using full advance (no pinging), there is nothing to be gained from increased octane.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread