5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

jz5w63gwilli

Reaction score
Anyone else getting less than 14mpg? My 4th gen got way better economy. I know it’s a truck and I don’t expect amazing economy, but i do expect to get what I got out of my 4th gen which was 16-17, and also does anyone have a vibration coming from the drivetrain when In 4wd hi or auto?
I don't get near the mileage on my 19 crew compared to my 14 quad. I have the same powertrain incl 3.92 axle. Have 7000 miles. ECO does not come on nearly as often. Is the weight of the crew vs quad the factor? Avg currently 12.8 vs 16 on the 14. Same area and style of drive.

RichT

Reaction score
for whatever reason, ECO comes on all the time now that I have the topper installed.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't get near the mileage on my 19 crew compared to my 14 quad. I have the same powertrain incl 3.92 axle. Have 7000 miles. ECO does not come on nearly as often. Is the weight of the crew vs quad the factor? Avg currently 12.8 vs 16 on the 14. Same area and style of drive.
According to fuelly.com the 2019 quad cabs are averaging 16mpg compared to 14.5 for the crew cabs. So yes, it appears that the crew cab does affect mpg to some extent.

Barney556180

Reaction score
for whatever reason, ECO comes on all the time now that I have the topper installed.

The cap improves the overall aerodynamics, so less wind resistance equals higher MPG.

Last edited:

slimchance

Reaction score
According to fuelly.com the 2019 quad cabs are averaging 16mpg compared to 14.5 for the crew cabs. So yes, it appears that the crew cab does affect mpg to some extent.
that makes no sense to me at all .. the overall length is about the same and the weight difference is minimual ... i think there are just more crew cabs in their sampling

The cap improves the overall aerodynamics, so less wind resistance equals higher MPG.
what about the 200 - 300 lb weight of the cap ... i have a cap ... the rear window and tail gate is always dirty because of the aerodnamics ??
the increase in mileage is centered around driving style IMHO

Jwsmith

Reaction score
that makes no sense to me at all .. the overall length is about the same and the weight difference is minimual ... i think there are just more crew cabs in their sampling

what about the 200 - 300 lb weight of the cap ... i have a cap ... the rear window and tail gate is always dirty because of the aerodnamics ??
IMG_20190507_121921160.jpg IMG_20190507_105906536.jpg hi to IMG_20190506_153632272.jpg

Barney556180

Reaction score

I agree driving style does have most influence on MPG.

My understanding is that in spite of the added weight, a cap does smooth air flow over the vehicle compared to an open bed. Even a tonneau cover is an improvement overall.

The dirty rear is evidence of back draft which, while still turbulent, improves slipperiness compared to the bed cavity and tailgate “sail” catching the air.

Last edited:

Jwsmith

Reaction score
Posted three thumbnail files from past two days. Not many miles in the first five months (mostly cold weather) and a little road miles make a big difference. From 11.8 to over 15 MPG with just 120 miles on rural highway (50 MPH average with speed varying 30 to 60) and a 60 mile trip home after fill up at 22.8 MPG. Sixty percent of my travels thus far have been less than a mile, so I'm not overly concerned with my mileage. Truck has been flawless thus far. My engine run time divided into miles traveled is under 20 miles per run hour. If I consider the testing conditions, I'm getting advertised mileage.

Barney556180

Reaction score
I found this TruckTrend article on the aerodynamic comparisons between open bed (tailgate up or down), tonneau cover, and full cap.

Their tests held it didn’t matter whether tailgate was up or down.

On the main question, their testing concluded a tonneau and cap offer a similar quantifiable improvement compared to an open bed. There was better drag coefficient (Cd), lower fuel consumption (MPG), and higher top attainable speed.

This isn’t the last word, but should be considered in the discussion.

FirstimeRAM

Reaction score
Maybe if you live in the plain's lands. But if you live in the northwest like i do, lugging around an extra several hundred lbs up and down hills all day is going to negatively effect your gas and brakes. Unless I NEED a cap, its not going to be on my truck.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
this is off my 1999 ford diesel cc that i drove like I stole it 20 years and ave’d 16mpg. They had no illusions about gas mileage and just left it off the sticker. I wish Ram did the same, then I wouldn't have had any expectations on mileage.

Your Ford was over the weight limit for the EPA ratings so the manufacturers don't put a rating on the window sticker. A Ram 2500 won't have anything on the sticker either. I'm sure Ram, Ford, and GM would prefer to leave it off the light duty if it were an option

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your Ford was over the weight limit for the EPA ratings so the manufacturers don't put a rating on the window sticker. A Ram 2500 won't have anything on the sticker either. I'm sure Ram, Ford, and GM would prefer to leave it off the light duty if it were an option
They might want to leave it off however I remember back in about 2010 I was hearing about new 1/2 tons getting close to 19-20 mpg. I was amazed, having owned multiple 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton trucks since 1974 and nothing was even close to that, 6 cyl or v8. Now getting 20+ highway is commonplace on fuelly or the window stickers.
While my 19’ limited CC 4x4 3.21 likely wont see 20, at least not until past 3K, I’m pretty pleased that a heavy full sized truck gets the same mileage that 1980’s family sedans could get.
“Back in the day” 8-11 was the norm for trucks, I’m talking 60’s - 80’s. Its quite the improvement.
Now the flip side is price. You could barely spend $20-25 on a new truck in early 90’s and now? Sky is the limit.

Evoking1230

Reaction score
I do a lot of mixed but try to keep it on the highways, but not very successful at it lol.

I am currently getting 16.5-18. 2200 miles.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I do a lot of mixed but try to keep it on the highways, but not very successful at it lol.

I am currently getting 16.5-18. 2200 miles.

Just put on 250 miles driving up from the Raleigh area to the Appomattox Courthouse National Park, walked around then came on back. Just over a 2 hr mainly highway drive each way, NC state highways are 70 mph, most VA were 60-65. I started off at 18.2 and got it to 21.6 when I got back. I don’t even have 700 miles on the Limited so am happy with the 3.21’s and non-etorque. The transmission is silky smooth in its shifts as we went up and down the rolling hills. Good job Ram!

Attachments

• 8D91CAFC-C185-48EC-815B-0726DCC1CCC9.jpeg
    8D91CAFC-C185-48EC-815B-0726DCC1CCC9.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 22

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, that 8 speed ZF transmission is pretty awesome. It's no wonder so many car makers are using it. I love hearing the exhaust note as it downshifts approaching a stop.

Users who are viewing this thread