5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup Camera Not Working

Clv22p

Reaction score
'22 Ram 1500 Bighorn w/ 8.4 Uconnect 5
I just lost my back up camera to the Blue Screen this morning. Temps are in the 40s with a raining cold front last night. I've only got 745 miles....
I’m having the same problem. I’m in the same mileage range also. I fully expect a recall soon. Mine goes in to the dealer Wednesday

EklipzHorizn

Reaction score
I’m having the same problem. I’m in the same mileage range also. I fully expect a recall soon. Mine goes in to the dealer Wednesday
Since I've posted this I haven't had any issues. Just my presets.

Clv22p

Reaction score
Since I've posted this I haven't had any issues. Just my presets.
Same. I assume it’s a UC5 issue that they are still working out software glitches on. I’m not sure if I’ve received an OTA update and it’s solved the problem on it own.

martin82531

Reaction score
Sorry, I’m late to the party but I have the same issue. 2022 Laramie 1500. I get a blue screen with a message that says “Camera System Unavailable”. I have a little over 400 miles. 8.4 Uconnect 5

First time: Made sure all the fuzes were seated correctly. The issue seemed to fix its self.

Second Time: Did the same thing as the first time seemed to fix it’s self.

Third Time: Disconnected the wiring harness from the tailgate and did a factory reset through the radio menu.

It’s only been a day since the third time but taking the truck into the dealership tomorrow. I’m just afraid of going back and forth with the dealer if they can’t replicate the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martin82531

Reaction score
So went to the dealership and they said they just saw an identical issue with another vehicle a couple weeks ago.

Their fix is to try and push an update and if the update fails twice, Chrysler will approve a new radio. If the update takes though, supposedly the issue will be fixed.

I’m taking the truck back in a couple weeks for them to try and do the update.

I’ll post back with updates.

Last edited:

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
So 21 ram rebel and I feel like the last 2 weeks my truck is falling apart. Love the truck but from the window leak to brake chirp now to a frozen rear camera image. My camera image if frozen from when I backed out of the garage this morning. The radio works but as soon as I reverse the image is of my garage.

It says my reverse trailering is unavailable as well….any ideas how to fix this?

martin82531

Reaction score
So 21 ram rebel and I feel like the last 2 weeks my truck is falling apart. Love the truck but from the window leak to brake chirp now to a frozen rear camera image. My camera image if frozen from when I backed out of the garage this morning. The radio works but as soon as I reverse the image is of my garage.

It says my reverse trailering is unavailable as well….any ideas how to fix this?

My camera issue seems to have resolved its self. Really the only thing I did was make sure all the fuzes were fully seated, both underneath the steering wheel and under the hood.

I also made sure the tailgate wire harness was complete connected, I think it came from the factory not fully seated.

Last I did a factory reset through the radio menu, knock on wood but I haven’t had any issues with the camera since, it’s been a little over a week.

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
My camera issue seems to have resolved its self. Really the only thing I did was make sure all the fuzes were fully seated, both underneath the steering wheel and under the hood.

I also made sure the tailgate wire harness was complete connected, I think it came from the factory not fully seated.

Last I did a factory reset through the radio menu, knock on wood but I haven’t had any issues with the camera since, it’s been a little over a week.

I think I figured it out. Turned on the truck and immediately hit the reverse steering button and it seemed to clear the frozen screen

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
2020 Big Horn 4wd 31,400 miles. Camera went out today. I tried restarting the truck, nothing. Not sure what is wrong with it. Any easy fixes? Nothing has changed in my area except we had snow and sleet yesterday. But it worked this morning.

martin82531

Reaction score
2020 Big Horn 4wd 31,400 miles. Camera went out today. I tried restarting the truck, nothing. Not sure what is wrong with it. Any easy fixes? Nothing has changed in my area except we had snow and sleet yesterday. But it worked this morning.

I was able to get my truck into the dealership. Unfortunately, the dealership couldn’t duplicate the issue, and there weren’t any software updates available, so there wasn’t much they could do.

They made sure the connections were good, added some dielectric grease, and closed out the service order.

I haven’t been able to drive the truck recently due to ankle surgery, so I’m not sure if that helped. In the past, I’ve gone a week without the issue happening, then I’ve had it happen three times in one day.

ollamas76

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn and the back up camera is inop ("camera system unavailable"). The vehicle has less than 13K miles and seems like others are having the same issue. Looking for advice on how to rectify the issue. Thanks for any feedback.

Jokerpro

Reaction score
My 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn had a reverse camera issue today. When put in reverse it would go back to the radio screen. I held the volume and tuner knob in and the reset seemed to fix the issue. I’m going to check the wiring harness if it happens again. Had an issue with the headlights harness not being fully connected.

martin82531

Reaction score
My 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn had a reverse camera issue today. When put in reverse it would go back to the radio screen. I held the volume and tuner knob in and the reset seemed to fix the issue. I’m going to check the wiring harness if it happens again. Had an issue with the headlights harness not being fully connected.

I’ve noticed the same thing after the last Uconnect update. It seems to happen infrequently and less often than the blue screen of death in terms of the backup camera.

I couldn’t get the dealership to duplicate the issue when I got the blue screen; since the problem has been infrequent, I haven’t even brought it up to the dealership.

JRAM2500

Reaction score
I am living the same nightmare on my 500 mile on odometer 2022 2500 BigHorn. Tailgate camera works just fine, however the one on top of the rear sliding door is the one with the "blue screen of death" lol like @martin82531 would call it. It's on the 6th day at the dealer and two days in a row working with STAR and nothing. I am going to the dealer today to see IF they've checked all fuses and connectors, camera was replaced.....but doesn't mean that replacement works?? I'm going to see if they have one in a truck working and try it.....IF the tailgate camera is working perfect....it's just the camera on top of the rear sliding glass...then ....I dunno....just frustrating...SOFTWARE update has done nothing...

UPDATE: At the dealer they advised will be replacing part number Z8507350AD (Module behind the radio needs replacement) part should come in April 1st, and April 2nd will be replaced. Will keep all posted.

Last edited:

Flicker

Reaction score
2022 rebel, 500 miles, backup cam stopped working two times already, first it became lagging and frame losing, then just went black screen, reset radio seems to fix the problem, but come on

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
Had it happen today. First time I had a hitch rack with lights connected to the flat 4 pin connector and I thought it might be because the truck thought there was a trailer behind. Disconnected the lights and same error message, camera not available. Will try again in the morning. I have a 2022 Limited with 2,500 miles.

eric.ruppert

Reaction score
I also have this happening to my 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn. System did an update and now my cameras are not working with the blue screen saying "Camera System Unavailable".

Disconnected the battery. Nothing.
Soft Reset. Nothing.

Help? @RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread