5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup Camera Centerline

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you know what was done? Did they swap the CVPM? Was a flash or any other step(s) required? Thanks.
So based off the info here I sent my service advisor this post so he could read through it all then told him about the cvpm. They tried resetting the system and replacing the backup camera prior to me sending him this post with no change. Then it says they referenced star case # 101390360 and replaced the CVPM then calibrated the cameras and it worked.

Webbd30

Reaction score
It has been established that the 360 camera does not get the line, tow group does, for all displays.

Don’t think that’s true.

I have a Laramie with 360 cam and I have the center line.

I have the off road package and NO tow group.

Bay Area, California- 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4, 5'7 Bed, Granite Chrystal, E locker, Black Interior, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 axle, Level 2 Equip Group, 12in NAV, Advanced Safety Group, Pano Sun Roof, Bed Utility Group, Air suspension, Off Road Group, 20X9 +1 Fuel wheels, 275/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Deployable bed step, 33 gallon tank, Ram Box, Trailer break control, Mopar Slush Mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris

Reaction score
Don’t think that’s true.

I have a Laramie with 360 cam and I have the center line.

I have the off road package and NO tow group.

Bay Area, California- 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4, 5'7 Bed, Granite Chrystal, E locker, Black Interior, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 axle, Level 2 Equip Group, 12in NAV, Advanced Safety Group, Pano Sun Roof, Bed Utility Group, Air suspension, Off Road Group, 20X9 +1 Fuel wheels, 275/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Deployable bed step, 33 gallon tank, Ram Box, Trailer break control, Mopar Slush Mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is confirmed as true for all (surround view) trucks built before a date (December 2018?); trucks built after that date get the centerline.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is confirmed as true for all (surround view) trucks built before a date (December 2018?); trucks built after that date get the centerline.
It is true that early builds did not get some advertised features. This doesn’t mean they weren’t supposed to receive them! I’ve already paid for some things twice (e.g. buying the bed step despite it being advertised as part of the bed utility group at time of order). I can’t buy and install the fix for the centerline myself.

The centerline isn’t the only advertised feature that is still missing. Ignoring availability delays such as the diesel or most of the Mopar accessories, nobody with a 12” UConnect is receiving a vehicle health report (to my knowledge). The folks at UConnect told me they’re aware of this and planning an OTA update, but that was months ago.

A large part of what we’re doing by bringing up these issues, however minor they may be, is helping FCA become aware of which features were/are expected by but not delivered to their customers...and trying to get some help for those early adopters that helped find them once a correction has been made on the line. The centerline is a good example of that.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Information received from FCA this morning indicates that new module (ending in "AG") was added to the line on 1/4/19.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 12" with surround view. They replaced the Forward Facing Camera Module part #68318033AG Star Case #101389724 and now I have the center line.

FYI - I've driven two different loaner Jeep Compass within the past month. Neither one had a hitch or tow package, yet both had the center line.

Saints

Reaction score
Negative, I have a build date of 2/28 and no center line.

Chris

Reaction score
The Ram Rep I chatted with confirmed to me that all rams should have it, and that is why they added it to all of the manuals for all models. Other features in the manual distinguish between "If equipped" etc, but the Centerline does not.
Bad news; the dealership told me it is a Ram issue, and Ram needs to provide an update or a TSB before the dealership can add the centerline, and it isn't a "repair" or "defective hardware". They told me to contact Ram on my own and get Ram to send the dealership information, even after I gave them the Ram Case number.

I then contacted the Ram rep again, but they said it is a repair issue, and they cannot help me or provide any more information. The dealership needs to contact them and open a Star Case, and if the dealership decides not to, the only thing I can do is contact a lawyer or another dealership.

A lot of finger pointing, and no one wants to touch it.

Chris

Reaction score
"Hello Christopher,

Thank you for contacting the RAM Customer Care.

We are very sorry to learn of the problem you have encountered and can certainly understand your frustration.

Reviewing this matter further, I do see that your vehicle was equipped from factory with the Surround View Camera System. The manual states on page 373, while the “rear view” is displayed, and if enabled, active guide lines are overlaid on the image to illustrate the width of the vehicle, including the side view mirrors and its projected backup path based on the steering wheel position. Information regarding this camera can be found on page 373-376 of the owners manual. As per the manual the dashed center line overlay is not available with the Surround View Camera System.

The information you are reading on page 371 states a dashed center line overlay indicates the center of the vehicle to assist with parking or aligning to a hitch/receiver. This information is only if your vehicle is equipped with the ParkView Rear Back Up Camera, which is a completely different camera than the Surround View Camera System.

Thank you again for your email Christopher.

At this time, we will be closing this case. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance by calling us at 1-866-RAM-INFO (1-866-726-4636).

Best wishes,

Belinda
RAM Customer Care"

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
"Hello Christopher,

We are very sorry to learn of the problem you have encountered and can certainly understand your frustration.

Reviewing this matter further, I do see that your vehicle was equipped from factory with the Surround View Camera System. The manual states on page 373, while the “rear view” is displayed, and if enabled, active guide lines are overlaid on the image to illustrate the width of the vehicle, including the side view mirrors and its projected backup path based on the steering wheel position. Information regarding this camera can be found on page 373-376 of the owners manual. As per the manual the dashed center line overlay is not available with the Surround View Camera System.

The information you are reading on page 371 states a dashed center line overlay indicates the center of the vehicle to assist with parking or aligning to a hitch/receiver. This information is only if your vehicle is equipped with the ParkView Rear Back Up Camera, which is a completely different camera than the Surround View Camera System.

At this time, we will be closing this case. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance by calling us at 1-866-RAM-INFO (1-866-726-4636).

Best wishes,

Belinda
RAM Customer Care"
I’m glad I have a good service dealer. They literally gave me not one bit of pushback about this.

grinch72

Reaction score
Hate to say it again but I had an early build 19 with 360 and no centerline. Went to my dealer and complained. The referenced star cases, also changed the CVPM and recalibrated the cameras. Now I have the centerline as well. So glad I have an awesome dealer! They never questioned a thing. They just took action and fixed it. As someone who often tows and hooks up to trailers solo, I love the centerline.

Saints

Reaction score
Negative, I have a build date of 2/28 and no center line.
So to make things even more weird I now have the center line. I know for a fact I didn’t have it before because after reading this thread I went out to check and make sure. I just got my truck back yesterday as it’s been to the lift shop then straight to the detail shop so I haven’t had it for a week. Got in it this morning and went to back up, boom, centerline.

I know I went through all of the settings multiple times to make sure everything I wanted on was on so I don’t know what happened, but now I have it. I did have to pull the negative battery cable for another issue so maybe that did something and I didn’t notice it before I went to the lift shop. Or maybe I missed a setting and the guy at the detail shop turned it on as he told me he was checking out the features when he had it.

Edit* The only other thing I did was put my trailer hitch on. Could it be possible that the camera detects that and turns on the center line?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Hello Christopher,

Best wishes,

Belinda
RAM Customer Care"
So I don’t know who Belinda is at Ram Care, but when I look up the pages in the online 2019 Ram 1500 owners manual on the Ram Care site, I can’t find anything like what she stated. Can anyone verify the information she stated?

Viper67

Reaction score
So I have a 2019 Laramie with the 12”. I have the centerline. It’s a little off but it’s nice to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to say it again but I had an early build 19 with 360 and no centerline. Went to my dealer and complained. The referenced star cases, also changed the CVPM and recalibrated the cameras. Now I have the centerline as well. So glad I have an awesome dealer! They never questioned a thing. They just took action and fixed it. As someone who often tows and hooks up to trailers solo, I love the centerline.
Yep - envious of your dealer. Certainly doesn't match my experience!

azzx

Reaction score
On my truck the options are:
1: Active guidelines, center line is off
2- Fixed guidelines -- the center line is on
Cannot select both at the same time --- it is either or option

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my truck the options are:
1: Active guidelines, center line is off
2- Fixed guidelines -- the center line is on
Cannot select both at the same time --- it is either or option

View attachment 22840
Would be great if someone with Surround view camera and has centerline would post what they have for this screen. I have the surround view without centerline. There are only two options on this screen, one turns guidelines on or off and the other turn surround view delay on or off.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would be great if someone with Surround view camera and has centerline would post what they have for this screen. I have the surround view without centerline. There are only two options on this screen, one turns guidelines on or off and the other turn surround view delay on or off.
Same here. I used to have the option to turn on the camera centerline (which didn’t work), and that option has disappeared.

grinch72

Reaction score
Here ya go!

Attachments

• B0448B7C-6566-4EA6-94FE-B28351CCCD2E.jpeg
    B0448B7C-6566-4EA6-94FE-B28351CCCD2E.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 4459A201-282C-4F6E-9076-286BAEA940D0.jpeg
    4459A201-282C-4F6E-9076-286BAEA940D0.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 48

Users who are viewing this thread